I am using this as my introduction/build thread. So, for the introduction. I'm Andrew, I am a life long car guy with a primary focus on Mustangs (I have a '66 coupe which is a project in waiting and an '05 V6 being force fed by a snail), but recently have been getting very bored with my current daily beater. I have been lurking on the site off and on for the last several months while I was searching for my first Datsun. Well, about 3 weeks ago I finally found one out here in the mid-west that wasn't too far gone.
I picked up a 1973 620, it is a 4 speed truck with an L16 and came complete with enough spare parts to build half another truck (many of which will get listed in the classifieds once I reach my post limit).
The motor has already been gone through and has new everything (pretty much).
Head has been gone through already.
All new brakes (drums, shoes, hardware, hoses, wheel cylinders, and I believe master cylinder) minus the booster.
Basically anything that wasn't already on the truck came with it with lots of extras.
Both floor pans.
Driver's side pinch weld.
Distributor relay (not really needed?).
Both floor pans are pretty bad. The driver's side is pretty well gone, but the truck came with a replacement so I'm not too worried about that. The driver's side pinch weld, at least the span below the door, is pretty much gone as well so I will need to patch that up while doing the floors. The passenger side floor pan at some point in its life had a patch job done with fiberglass, so that will need to be taken care of at some point as well, but has a much smaller area to replace than the other side.
Progress so far. When I picked up the truck it seemed like it was pretty much good to go. The PO wasn't at all familiar with ignition or carburetors and was having trouble getting someone to help, as a result, after he put all the pieces on it just sat. I decided to forgo learning all about the Hitachi carb that was on there and go a head and move up to the 32/36. To eliminate a point of failure I also opted to go with the DGV with the manual choke. Got the carb installed Last Friday and then spent the rest of the weekend trying to diagnose my no spark.
Figured out the spark issue last night, looks like my distributor relay is bad, I ran a wire from straight from the - side of the coil to the distributor and now I have spark. It was already dark when I got spark so decided not to fiddle with it too much after that. Hopefully I will be able to get her fired tonight and finally moved from the driveway into the garage.
I don't have many pictures at the moment, and the ones I do have are bad, but too bad because they are getting posted:
The truck came with a stepside bed and the original, which is more my style...
My '05 Mustang
My current daily which has only one redeeming quality being the chalkboard paint job. Beyond that it is just way too practical.
I'll be sure to post up my progress and if I ever find an issue that the SEARCH can't solve I'll post questions as well.