Trucky-chan KA-T 620 project

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nearly everything is plumbed and rewired, ended up not having enough half inch hose laying around to finish the cooling system though so it will have to wait until tomorrow to finish up.

Ran into yet another snag when I went to replace what I though was a bad seal on the fuel tank drain. It turns out, underneath the nice paint on the tank was a good pin hole about an inch to center of the drain so I have that going for me, which kinda blows.  Now I have to decide how I want to go about resolving the issue. 

A good quality tank sealer will fill pin holes easily, I had a tank that I tried to fix several times, but everytime I fixed one hole, it would make another hole when I started it up(pressure built up in the tank, and it was factory pressure), I used "Bill Hirsch gas tank sealer", and didn't have any more issues, that tank was swiss cheese.

Just sped the money on the best tank sealer you can buy, that way you only have to do it once.

Be careful to follow all the directions, and when you finish sloshing the sealer around in the tank, blow air threw the pickup tube several times while it is drying, otherwise it can and will plug up that tube as well.

nearly everything is plumbed and rewired, ended up not having enough half inch hose laying around to finish the cooling system though so it will have to wait until tomorrow to finish up.

Ran into yet another snag when I went to replace what I though was a bad seal on the fuel tank drain. It turns out, underneath the nice paint on the tank was a good pin hole about an inch to center of the drain so I have that going for me, which kinda blows.  Now I have to decide how I want to go about resolving the issue. 

• 1 month later...

Ok, so longtime no post.  Since my last I have pulled the master and re-bench bled it and adjusted the booster rod, brakes are much better.  I've sound deadened the doors, installed new door rubbers, replaced my leaky heater valve and fucked up the gas tank liner.

After realizing I had plugged my fuel pickup I decided that I should come up with another option for now so I can actually drive this thing around a bit.  So, I borrowed an idea from another member here and converted an air tank.

8U2bbft.jpg

wi3soAK.jpg

After getting the new tank installed I finally got to test drive the truck with the new engine and it is so much better than the previous "rebuilt" engine.  Now I just need to figure out why my turn signals quit working.

Turn signal issue was indeed just a bad flasher so I'll pick one up in the morning.

Had my first roadside repair earlier tonight when I blew one of the little coolant lines off.  Luckily I was close to home and my roommate was still up. He brought me a replacement hose clamp and some extra coolant and I was back on the road.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It has been a little while since my last update.  Haven't done a whole lot really, just been driving around.  I did replace the clutch master, slave and hose as well as the carrier bearing.  I also decided to join the yellow fog/highbeam club.

NtXmCRL.jpg

I went with some actual yellow bulbs rather than the painted variety.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I needed to free up my engine stand so I finally got around to tearing down the l16 that came with the truck and found a few interesting bits.

VGZ4HAw.jpg

Looks like it dropped an exhaust valve prior to getting "rebuilt"

fiDrWAK.jpg

Something funny about #3

8eZHvg9.jpg

otherwise not too bad

Rogl6zo.jpg

QkwIw5W.jpg

I should have another update tonight.

• Like 1

Came across a bang up deal on a new engine.  So looks like I will be joining the KA club sooner than I originally thought.

YTN1N6D.jpg

After a couple of hours

7VgUb4F.jpg

scrap pile

pfvejh8.jpg

keep pile

qOSwyVw.jpg

Hoping to have some time to finish taking it apart this afternoon, we'll see how that goes.

• Like 3

Nearly ready for the machine shop all that is left now is to pull the pistons/rods and crank.  All in all everything looks pretty good. The guy I bought it from seemed to think it had a spun rod bearing, and while I haven't removed the caps to verify yet, I'm thinking his knocking was coming from a loose timing chain.

Out of town for the weekend so won't have time to finish the tear down until monday.

Pictures brought to you by potato.

Ew5e3GQ.jpg

XJTgltX.jpg

FmjDMcw.jpg

CPlLF6u.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah, the truck is my parts hauler so I need it to be driving until the ka is ready to drop in.  I dropped the block and crank off at the machine shop this morning and getting ready to order rods and pistons now then I just have to wait.

This definitely became very expensive very fast.

ochJ7bL.jpg

That's perfectly normal.

• Like 1

Are those the Wheel Vintiques rallye wheels? I picked up a set or 8" truck rallyes, but they stick out too much, so I was eyeballing the Wheel Vintiques, or may look for the old GM O.E. 6" wheels.

What size tire did you go with?

I just reconstructed my front cab mounts, but didn't have to do floors or rockers. Congrats for surviving that.

• Like 1

Not a whole lot to report on. Head studs showed up the other day and took them down to the machine shop so they could get on with the bore and hone. Due to some scoring on the timing cover side of the oil pump I ended up replacing that, just waiting for it to come in so it can get milled to match the block deck.

On my side of things I started cleaning up the valve cover last night.  Most of the nasty pealing red paint is gone, along with those pesky raised letters.

yO1XSrZ.jpg

• Like 2

Block should be ready to go this week.  After getting an estimate to have the head rebuilt I decided to spend about half as much to just go ahead and order a reconditioned head which should hopefully be here in a couple of weeks.  In the meantime I am amassing parts and still have plenty of parts to clean.

JNZtana.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...