510 carpet

Randalla

I have a 72 four door with original red/maroon interior (seats, door panels, carpet). I want to replace the carpet with OEM quality loop in the same color, but what I find on Ebay comes in black only. Anyone know of a carpet source for something other than black. I'm also looking for carpet with a bound edge to keep it from unraveling. I don't really want to pay to have it custom made if I can avoid it.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beginning to sound like a salesman, but go to the JCWhitney site [or read their catalog if you have one, they mail out frequently].  They have plush and loop pile carpet kits for a very reasonable price and are forever running discount and free shipping offers.  The polypropyline loop pile looks and feels like the factory carpeting.  Depending on the vehicle, you might get a 3 piece front carpet set instead of a 1 piece thermofit carpet but they usually come with installation instructions.  They are edge binded.  Whitney also sells snap fasterers that clip into the carpet and mate with the carpet snap fasteners already on your floor pan.  Just snap the female part of the fastener to the male fastener on the pan.  Press the carpet into position and press down.  The tines will pierce the carpet and then slip the locking rings into place and bend the tines!  I installed front and rear carpet kits in my RL411 and am very well pleased with the look and wearability of them.

If you don't have the catalog, log on to the site and request one.  They normally have a discount offer on the cover which may save you 20%

Randy, if you really want a nice carpet kit, you'll need to have it custom made. Most/all of the kits I've seen either fit poorly, or aren't made well. Find one of the Mexican upholstery shops here in PHX and they could probably do a nice job for reasonable money.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I was curious to know these would be the closest "loop" available for OEM style carpet for a 510? Was thinking of also replacing my carpet in the future.. Any inputs? This one seems a little more plush/dense then original carpet but I'm not sure.

20141001_113205-1.jpg

or is it more of these styles?

http://www.worlduph.com/samples/600table.htm

http://www.worlduph.com/samples/importloop.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The fit is okay, but the weight of the carpet is too flimsly for my liking and causes the carpet to droop in areas. I am planing on using the roadster carpet snaps to address this, just havent got around to it yet. I do like that the kit is four pieces and looks oem.