2jz wagon gets a 3-link

Supra510

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you drag frame without notching the frame rails?

Er, I mean it looks awesome! :D

Lol....thanks.  Not quite.....

Looking good.

Are you needing a spring compressor for the 12 inch springs? I have one local to you if you need one.

Hey thanks.  I think I've got it handled, but  if my method doesn't work I'll hit you up.

Nice job...looks great.

holly fabbing fabman :D amazing work dude.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.  Pretty excited to get it on the ground with the correct springs.  Have to redo my water pipes to the radiator in back, so won't be able to drive it quite yet. 

• 1 month later...

Not quite. Took it out for a brief test. No noises, feels good. Snuck in a launch. Felt good. Working out a brake issue. Got new calipers for the rear. One had a stuck cylinder. Figured I'd replace both. New pads as well. Need to bleed things, then see how it feels.  

Made the new floor. Will get some pix up when I get my laptop back from getting fixed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Why u didnt weld the housing tubes to the center chunk? Have u never seen those spot welds break on those 8.8? I do and when that happen it does nasty damage!

Just an advise you still have time to do it!

Well, if I was to do it properly I need to pre heat it, and use a stick welder (I've tried MIG on another axle and it was a total disaster).  I guess years of running this power level with no issues so didn't give it a 2nd thought.  I guess we'll see...lol.

I did weld mine with mi mig welder is a Dana 60 no issues whatsoever and your welds looks pretty good, is all about where to place the heat concentration and go from there, of course as long as you have a mig that could weld up heavy gauge metal, 220v is a must for that, i guess you should be ok as long as you dont go out to the drag races with sticky tires lol!

By the way keep the good work your wagon is an inspiration!

I did weld mine with mi mig welder is a Dana 60 no issues whatsoever and your welds looks pretty good, is all about where to place the heat concentration and go from there, of course as long as you have a mig that could weld up heavy gauge metal, 220v is a must for that, i guess you should be ok as long as you dont go out to the drag races with sticky tires lol!

By the way keep the good work your wagon is an inspiration!

Thanks man.  Yeah, I think it'll be ok.  Don't plan on dragging it with slicks any time soon..lol. 

Got the brakes bled with the help of  a friend and got some more air out.  Need to go get things hot and rebleed. 

• 4 weeks later...

So.  Overall very pleased with the 3 link. Hooks, soaks up bumps much better than my previous set up.  250 lb springs (slightly angled so I think they come out to a 230 lb spring rate) feel good and not too harsh.   However, as will all projects...test and tune....After taking my step mom on a ride with a couple of hard launches I heard a metallic clanking sound.  Car didn't drive oddly, and the clank was hard to replicate.  Took it out tonight for a hard backroad session.  Again, didn't feel odd which is odd in and of itself.  But, when I got back to the garage the left wheel was clearly out and rubbing on the flare.

Here's the completed set up.  You might notice the angle of the 3rd link....bit off to the side. This is not normal. The axle is off to the left.

19053555.jpg

Look to the left of the black pipes.   Hmmmm.  What is going on here?

19053556.jpg

Uh oh.  That's the inside of the frame you're seeing.  

19053557.jpg

This is the brace that supports the mount for the panhard bar.  A lot of stress here.  So...will pull the tank, weld a thick plate to the rail in that area, and then weld the support back up.

19053558.jpg

Seeing how I am wanting to do either a 3 or 4 link in my truck, I have a question: Would the use of a watts link lessen the amount of stress on ONE side of the frame and divide it between BOTH rails? Do you have room? 

Might be worth boxing the rail with the appropriate size square tube or plates?

I ended up using a probably overkill 1/4 plate like...5 inches wide to the rail to fix the hole and spread the load and then welded the brace to that.

Seeing how I am wanting to do either a 3 or 4 link in my truck, I have a question: Would the use of a watts link lessen the amount of stress on ONE side of the frame and divide it between BOTH rails? Do you have room?

Good question.  A Watts link is superior, and in a full frame truck, I'd think you'd have plenty of room.  Panhards are a lot simpler, cheaper, and still effective....if braced correctly.  I never thought it  would rip the rail out, but you're dealing with a lot thicker metal with a full frame.  Good bracing is  the key I think. 

• 4 weeks later...

How is the handling with this setup? More predictable I'm assuming ?

So far so good.  I haven't had it to an autocross, but sharp back road turns (I have some 180 degree ones around here) lead to oversteer not understeer. That's with no rear sway bar. I have an adjustable front bar that's in the middle setting.  Overall I feel like the rear is more stable and predictable. Soaks up bumps way better than what I had

So far so good.  I haven't had it to an autocross, but sharp back road turns (I have some 180 degree ones around here) lead to oversteer not understeer. That's with no rear sway bar. I have an adjustable front bar that's in the middle setting.  Overall I feel like the rear is more stable and predictable. Soaks up bumps way better than what I had

Sounds about right. Thanks for the feedback, I'm planning on doing 8.8 and 4-link(or 3, maybe) on my wagon soon.  Just getting impatient. :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Car looked great at Canby :)

Thanks, appreciate it.

Are you running a external pump for the rad? Im curious about the setup if you are.

No external pump, just the stock water pump.  No issues.

Ordered 2 of these. Redoing the panhard mount because....the other side of the brace broke.  So these will be part of the redo.  I can get rid of the spacers I'm using for the rod ends with the current set up as well.

91645513_L.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...