2jz wagon gets a 3-link

Supra510

I had composite leaf springs from Flex-a-Form, Kelvin's traction bars (which work great btw, eliminated wheel hop even with 400 + rwhp), and adjustable shocks, panhard bar, and leaf spring sliders in the rear.  I broke a leaf spring mount which bent the u-bolt, which contacted the leaf.  That started a stress crack in the spring.  So....it was either get new composite leafs for 400+ and be stuck with that spring rate....or build a 3-link for less.  Plus the panhard/leaf is not the best combo.  2 different roll centers can create bind....who needs that??

I'm building a 3 link for less...But this is made a lot easier since I have the panhard and mounts built already.

The victim:

16355865_large.jpg

16355866_large.jpg

Bent u-bolt. I don't have pix of the leaf spring crack. Will post later

16355864_large.jpg

Some of the parts.  Yes, there are 4 links...but I'm not building a 4 link.  These are actually for an AE86, but are adjustable, pre-made, and the right length. I'll modify the 2 shorter ones to make the upper 3rd link.  250lb springs.  I have coil over shocks not pictured.

16355861_large.jpg

Link mounts that will be welded to the axle tubes.  Purchased from Barnes 4WD.  1/4 inch thick...

16355860_large.jpg

Tacked

16355859_large.jpg

Welded

16355856_large.jpg

Next step will be to make the front mounts.  They will attach where the front leaf spring mount does now.  I'll make the base plate and tabs from 1/4 inch thick steel. Could be slow progress, but with the girlfriend out of town on business and no more coaching for the season, I might actually have some time to make headway on this.

• Like 6
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly boring update, but an update nonetheless

Broken spring

16358260_large.jpg

Traction bar.  Will be selling these as they aren't needed with the new set up.

16358261_large.jpg

1/4 inch plates that will be bolted in the front leaf spring mount area.  Bracket to be welded to these.

16358258_large.jpg

Plate bolted on to see if I drilled those holes correctly.  I did.

16358259_large.jpg

Next step is likely pulling the axle out and welding on the link mounts.  Then I'll need to place the chassis at ride height, put the axle underneath, and figure out the location for the bracket I'm going to weld to these plates.

• Like 1

I did a 4 link on 510keepers wagon. The hardest part was trying to get shocks on the SOB. The geometry didnt quite work out under the stock floor pan. But he used bags so it didnt really matter. Just set it up best i could at a reasonable ride height.

Rear end sitting on blocks with the leaf spring mounts attached.  Enough grinders and extension cords in this pic?  It's possible....

16359630_large.jpg

Scraps left of the leaf spring pads

16359635_large.jpg

They were a bitch to cut off...to the tune of this many cut off wheels.... and a few more.

16359637_large.jpg

Setting pinion angle.  This will be controlled by the upper 3rd link ultimately, but for the baseline/tower position I set it as it was with the leaf springs.

16359631_large.jpg

Welded up

16359633_large.jpg

Close up

16359594_large.jpg

Double adjustable coil over shocks.  Recently had them rebuilt as one developed a leak, but all new hardward/innards now.

16359634_medium.jpg

Next step is to roll it under the body, set the body at ride height, and figure out the 3rd link mount  and location

I did a 4 link on 510keepers wagon. The hardest part was trying to get shocks on the SOB. The geometry didnt quite work out under the stock floor pan. But he used bags so it didnt really matter. Just set it up best i could at a reasonable ride height.

Yeah, this is made a lot easier in that I have the rear floor cut out and braces welded in so it makes shock position etc. much easier to figure out and work on.

• Like 1

Nice man, I saw your goon at canby In person for the first time always loved your goon! I hope to do something like this on my 810 goon as well.

this is one of the baddest goons because of the 2jz 

saw this at canby and it looks insane 

Thanks, appreciate it.  Let me know if you have any questions on the install.  Trying to document this pretty well.  I think the biggest difference will be that I have the rear floor cut out which makes things a lot easier.

Decided to make the  axle 3rd link mount tonight so I'm not pulling the axle in and out from underneath the car.

Few Pix

Used a 2x2 as my base.  I wanted to keep it pretty low, but not mount the tabs right off the axle tube. 

16359830_large.jpg

16359829_large.jpg

Welded to the axle tube. The weld does not butt up against the center pumpking on purpose.  It's cast iron and the weld would crack...ask me how I know...

16359831_large.jpg

• 1 month later...

So....slow progress but I'm getting there.

Cardboard template for front link mount.

19021899.jpghttp://community.ratsun.net/index.php?

Said tabs.  Making things from 1/4 inch plate in a pain.

19021900.jpg

Welded to base plate

19021901.jpg

Front mount bolted to the location the front leaf spring mount typically does...

19021907.jpg

I'd love this ride height, but it likely won't work with the flares.  I'll have to see if it's ok with the new spring rate.

19021908.jpg

Link mounted to the axle.   I will likely never use the lowest hole so I'll probably cut some of that tower off.  It's ok with 18 inch wheels, but any

thing else and I don't think it would.

19021906.jpg

Also completed some work on the upper 3rd link and the mount...again more drilling and cutting of 1/4 plate.  Takes forever.  Will post pix upcoming

• Like 1

what keeps it from sliding under power? i get it should be tight, but will it stay?

Tighten the shit out of it?  Lol.  I see what you're saying, but I'd guess most of the force is going forward since it's controlling the pinion angle.  I'll mark it and  I guess worst case if it slips I'll dial it in and tack it in place.