• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Its been a while since I last updated this thread but I finally got more work done with something to show for it.

Nothing major but , today with the help of Busta Nut I installed a tach in my dash.

I got a 2.5 inch equus tach at O'Reilly

20140315_161548_zps8fad8523.jpg

Next I cut a hole in the center of the right dash well. The 2.5 inch tach fits nicely into the center.

20140315_163300_zps608ca4d9.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness

20140315_170309_zps7b73013b.jpg

I think it looks sharp and goes well with the dash!

20140315_181305_zpsda270441.jpg

I've been going to a couple meets and have put a few hundred more miles on the car bringing it to almost 2000 more miles since I bought it if I remember correctly.

It's been a blast to drive and I'm looking forward to getting some more work done. I still have a few things to do to get the car in perfect shape and I still have to do something about getting new wheels sooner rather than later.

Hopefully, I'll continue to have some more updates as I progress. I still have a lot to learn about this car and I'm looking forward to it! :thumbup:

I did the same on mine way back in the 90's.

IMG_20140505_153410.jpg

From what I remember I had used a part of a beer can to hold it in some how.

I found this one that had stopped working.

IMG_20140514_215439.jpg

IMG_20140514_215450.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey guys!

I know it's been a long time since I've posted but I was gone the entire summer.

Unfortunately, rather than the update I thought I was going to post about doing some more work on my car I have some very bad news. I just started college at CalPoly and wanted to take my car, of course, so I drove it down here. I've driven the car nearly 5,000 miles since I bought it last October. For some reason, on the way down here the Datsun gods decided it was my time to have my first major issue with the car. Something got inside the engine while I was driving and knocked a valve open and my car started running really rough. I pulled over and looked at it (just knowing it was running rough, at this time I didn't know what the issue was). I thought it was possibly just a bad spark plug or something causing one of the cylinders to not fire. I immediately drove to the nearest shop in SLO that I could. With no tools of my own down at college I had to take it in.

Turns out, there was damage to the engine caused by some foreign object that got inside it. This means I will have to either do an engine swap or rebuild the engine. At least 2 pistons have been severly damaged on the top by the object, as well as the valve bent in those 2 cylinders. The object was not found, only the damage it caused. The car currently only runs on 2 cylinders.

I love this car, and I want to get it back on the road ASAP but being in school now will make that difficult. Basically, I won't be driving my Datsun for at least 3 months :( :(

If you guys have any advice on how to move foward let me know. As for right now, I'm not sure what will happen.

• 1 month later...

From what I was told by Maxwell......a shop diagnosed this as needing an engine....

......"the valves are floating and there is piston damage".....correct me if I'm wrong....

I had my doubts as soon as I heard it run......

Step one.....pull the valve cover and check valve clearance.....

IMG_9015_zps765b5624.jpg

IMG_9016_zpsb070e686.jpg

Had him adjust all the valves.......6/8 were waaaaay too tight.....

• Like 1

Got it running.....80% better.....but not good enough.....

...it had a rough idle as soon as I tried to drop it under a grand.....

1000 or more it ran great.......

Time for a carb rebuild....

IMG_9027_zps386eb9c5.jpg

IMG_9028_zpsc6591aca.jpg

IMG_9029_zpsb6d521e4.jpg

• Like 1

So.............

.........after aaaall this work.........

This car needs an engine...................

Fuckin' idiots :no:

• Like 2

Thanks for all the posts man and all the help this weekend! :thumbup:  I'm back in SLO so I've put about 300 miles on the car already including my driving today. It sounds good as new except the spring snapped on the throttle cuz of the hacked bullshit the PO did with the carb. :devil:

Something not in busta's pics:

While he was rebuilding the carburetor Mike helped me put stock springs on the rear end so that my ride height would be comfortable and not scrape.

20141025_145827_zps748441d6.jpg

20141025_145822_zps762ec46f.jpg

Also noting that we changed the fuel filter and some fuel lines inside the engine bay along with the spark plugs. Cleaned the valve cover and replaced the valve cover gasket as well.

On my way home at highway speeds I noticed some new noise/humming coming from the rear. I think it may be related to the new springs. It sounds like wind noise or air rushing through a tight space so maybe ride height is just at an angle that at highway speeds it makes some noise but it is weird. I double checked that everything was set up correctly and the car feels fine driving it just makes a lot of noise.

• Like 2