A dime richer

Finally, after a little over a year of searching, I got my first 510!

Its a 1971 4-door.

It has an L20B and matching 5-speed transmission from a '79 620.

Has a Weber on it, as well as upgraded exhaust, electronic ignition and choke.

It also has an aftermarket radiator.

The suspension is 280Z front struts and brakes. Shortened springs, large front sway bar. 

The rear has aluminum drums on the brakes and an adjustable sway bar.

Its an original from Merced Datsun and still has the license plate border and California blue plates.

The paint is light blue (code 567) and is original.

All the interior has been redone and it has front seats from an '02 or '03 Grand Cherokee.

It has power locks which is weird but convenient so why not :P

It runs and drives well but it needs some work still.

Most of it is small stuff like a headlight knob, reattaching the heater cable, replacing a headlight and getting new locks. 

Its also missing the "Datsun" emblem on the back/trunk lid. 

I got a new passenger side fender and trim piece with the car to replace a spot where the PO before the guy I bought it from hit a post.

Somehow it did no damage to anything but crumpled the fender a bit. It was never replaced by the PO because he didn't want to repaint and it's 

a different color. I also think its from a different year because it has a trim piece on it but it should still fit.

Overall a pretty solid car, with little rust and I'm stoked to finally have a 510 of my own!

It feels good to have a car I can learn to work on and that is so fun to drive!

I picked up a copy of "How to keep your Datsun Alive" and a service manual for the 510 and the L20B engine so I think I'll start learning from there

and hopefully I can get the car into even better condition cosmetically at first and mechanically in the long run.

Of course if any of you have knowledge you'd like to spare (especially on parts and clubs/mechanics in the bay area), I'd love to learn.

I'll update whenever I can, for now I'll leave you with some oics. 

Full Album I'll be adding all pics to:

http://s1051.photobucket.com/user/cysadratsunpics/library/1971%204door%20510

Selected:

20131027_141057_zpsd7c1cd16.jpg

20131027_141050_zps5c348926.jpg

20131027_141157_zps1043d002.jpg

20131027_141126_zps551a8b2f.jpg

20131027_141435_zpse85127c8.jpg

Close up of dent/crumple:

20131027_141341_zps30f04e02.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to update with more of the issues I'm working on. 

I had it taken to a mechanic last week before I bought it to have an oil leak looked at that the P.O. caused.

Turns out its really small and probably fixable in the long run but not a pressing issue.

The wheels+tires are a little too tall so I have to decide if I want to flare out the front like what the PO did to the back 

or more likely I'll just get smaller tires or wheels possibly. 

I also am thinking about repainting and possibly want to do it myself with the help of a friend who recently repainted his miata. 

Do you guys think I should try to get the same or a very similar color or change the color? Is it possible to get the original color? Personally, I think I'd like to keep it the same.

Also a some point in the long term future I may try to swap the tranny out for a Z 5speed which I've heard has better ratios than the truck 5speed. Maybe I would do an engine swap too if I did that but this one is the most hypothetical.

Finally, as I mentioned before I'll probably be replacing the fender first and possibly repaint when I do so.

Nice find!  My 71 4dr was that same blue!  That fender damage is nominal.........hammer n dolly it out, and a light skim of bondo!  You could get away with only having some primer up front, and leave the rest of the paint alone.  You can find the mangled trim piece (aka eyebrow) used.  If the replacement fender has a horizontal piece of trim running it's length, those were all "dealer installed" here in the States, not a factory part.  Most were stick on, some were riveted/screwed on.

If you really like the wheels & tires that are on the car now, then mod the body.  If you don't, then please find something else that you like, cuz custom bodywork is harder than you think, and that looks like a really clean car!  If you've got 280ZX front struts/brakes, and the front tires are rubbing, then the offset of those wheels is simply not right for the car.......the ZX struts should "narrow" the track/width by a small amount (compared to the original 510), thus gaining fender clearance.  There are 2 or 3 nice looking 280ZX wheels that are often found really cheap, and of course plenty of other aftermarket wheels that were actually made for the RWD cars, just make sure to verify fitment!

Good luck with the project!

Also, if the heater "temp" cable is not attached, I'd bet that the heater valve is stuck.  Does the cable move freely?  If the valve is stuck, don't try to force it, cuz it will very likely leak once you move it!  The valve is a pain to get out without pulling the heater box assy, but it is possible.  You will get coolant on the floor, so prepare for that!  Buy a NEW Datsun 620 Pickup heater valve from the dealer (I use Riley @ Lynchburg Nissan in VA, but there are a few more dealership guys on the forum here that are also very helpful!), cuz the 510 valve is NLA/NLS, take apart & clean up your original valve, and use the internal guts of the 620 valve to rebuild yours.   

• Like 1

A couple more things, 

-headlights work fine but when i turn the brights on, the passenger side headlight goes dim and the bright doesnt come on.

- the car is idling a little funny, shaking and sputtering so im going to take a look at the carb, fuel filter and maybe adjust the idle screws to make it run better,

while driving it is completely fine though

-the light for the right turn signal light in the dash seems to be out or out of alignment because its pretty dim compared to the left one. I can't see it during the day time adn can barely at night.

Overall though, after my first day driving it I'm even more excited to finally have a 510! :thumbup:

Posted Today, 03:14 PM

Also, if the heater "temp" cable is not attached, I'd bet that the heater valve is stuck.  Does the cable move freely?  If the valve is stuck, don't try to force it, cuz it will very likely leak once you move it!  The valve is a pain to get out without pulling the heater box assy, but it is possible.  You will get coolant on the floor, so prepare for that!  Buy a NEW Datsun 620 Pickup heater valve from the dealer (I use Riley @ Lynchburg Nissan in VA, but there are a few more dealership guys on the forum here that are also very helpful!), cuz the 510 valve is NLA/NLS, take apart & clean up your original valve, and use the internal guts of the 620 valve to rebuild yours.   

Nice find!  My 71 4dr was that same blue!  That fender damage is nominal.........hammer n dolly it out, and a light skim of bondo!  You could get away with only having some primer up front, and leave the rest of the paint alone.  You can find the mangled trim piece (aka eyebrow) used.  If the replacement fender has a horizontal piece of trim running it's length, those were all "dealer installed" here in the States, not a factory part.  Most were stick on, some were riveted/screwed on.

If you really like the wheels & tires that are on the car now, then mod the body.  If you don't, then please find something else that you like, cuz custom bodywork is harder than you think, and that looks like a really clean car!  If you've got 280ZX front struts/brakes, and the front tires are rubbing, then the offset of those wheels is simply not right for the car.......the ZX struts should "narrow" the track/width by a small amount (compared to the original 510), thus gaining fender clearance.  There are 2 or 3 nice looking 280ZX wheels that are often found really cheap, and of course plenty of other aftermarket wheels that were actually made for the RWD cars, just make sure to verify fitment!

Good luck with the project!

Thanks for the info on the heater. It is working, there is simply not a cable linking the lever (under the dash) to the slider on the dash. I can turn the heater on by reaching under the dash.

Also, I have a new eyebrow trim already and I am planning on replacing the wheels at some point possibly or at least changing to a tire that fits better. The current wheels are just really wide and tall. 

Soak your fusebox and headlight relay assy in white vinegar overnight.  I have always carefully pried open the relays BEFORE soaking, so the vinegar gets inside AND so it drains out!  Also check ALL grounds in the wiring, especially all involved with the headlight system.  Hope you have a wiring schematic!

I also have a Haynes manual & heater cable available!  PM again.

• Like 1

I also am thinking about repainting and possibly want to do it myself with the help of a friend who recently repainted his miata. 

Do you guys think I should try to get the same or a very similar color or change the color? Is it possible to get the original color? Personally, I think I'd like to keep it the same.

i would go with the stock color. mostly because i think it looks good. and a complete color change is a pain. lets say you choose orange, then you have to paint under the hood, inside the car etc or have it mismatched. if you go with the stock color it will all match. i dont  know how deep you plan to tear into this but its something to consider

So suddenly today the tail lights went out as well as the dash lights and the brights. 

Checked the fuse box first and did a quick sweep of the rest of the electrical. 

At least 2 fuses are blown at first glance. I didn't have much time or light to really go over things carefully tonight but I'm going to pick up some more fuses tomorrow and replace the blown ones and hopefully that will solve the issue.

I have a wiring diagram so my next step after fuses will be to check everything over and possibly do as yenpit suggested:

Soak your fusebox and headlight relay assy in white vinegar overnight.  I have always carefully pried open the relays BEFORE soaking, so the vinegar gets inside AND so it drains out!  Also check ALL grounds in the wiring, especially all involved with the headlight system.  Hope you have a wiring schematic!

I also have a Haynes manual & heater cable available!  PM again.

When checking the dash lights I noticed that the reason the right blinker dash light looked dim was because it is misaligned. Is there an easy way to take apart the dash or to get at that part of it?

Thanks

Also on the paint since a couple people have commented. For now I'm going to leave it alone. At some point I may repaint but I will keep the it the same color.

All you have to do is remove the black plastic guage face plate/panel (couple of screws), pull it out towards you a few inches, so you can get to the two turnsignal bulb sockets...................they simply snap into place, so if you are correct that one is misaligned, you will likely find that one popped out.  Might be that easy!

Take the time to do what was suggested regarding the electrical system, study the wiring schematic, repair what is necessary (without jerry-rigging!! ), and things should fall into place!  Patience, it's an old classic car that needs yer TLC!!

Well I will start by figuring out the electrical then.

Take the time to do what was suggested regarding the electrical system, study the wiring schematic, repair what is necessary (without jerry-rigging!! ), and things should fall into place!  Patience, it's an old classic car that needs yer TLC!!

I plan to do exactly that. :thumbup:

Update:

I replaced the fuses (4 in total) that were burned out and the lights are back to working mostly. Hopefully it was just a fluke that they burned out and will last at least until I can figure out the electrical.

The front turn signal lights function normally when the headlights are not on but while the headlights are on they just stay on at full brightness and don't blink.

And the thing with the brights is still messed up on the drivers side. At least the rest work though so I can continue to drive it with all the lights working while I figure out the electrical.

Here's some more pics just because:

20131106_163438_zps6d4a2768.jpg

Brights on:

20131106_163446_zps0080dc9c.jpg

Fuses

20131106_163110_zpsc61589d0.jpg

Got the headlight knob from yenpit today.

Took the dash face plate off and the blinker turned out to be an easy fix! 

went through some of the electrical and fixed things back to functioning completely as to when I got the car. 

Noticed two things still to do though. 

-brights still weird

-the front turn signal lights don't blink while the headlights are on.

They act normally while the headlights aren't on but they stay on like running lights while the headlights are on. 

Behind dash

20131108_175517_zps812121ae.jpg

H/L knob

20131108_180855_zps45c809ac.jpg

• 1 month later...

Took the car on the Datsloco fun run yesterday and it drove awesome! 

Going to be spending some quality time working on it this week and fixing the electrical. Per the recommendation of a few people I will most likely try to take out the switches and replace them with relays at some point.

Where can I find relay kits for headlight/blinkers etc that will work for the 510?

Took the car on the Datsloco fun run yesterday and it drove awesome! 

Going to be spending some quality time working on it this week and fixing the electrical. Per the recommendation of a few people I will most likely try to take out the switches and replace them with relays at some point.

Where can I find relay kits for headlight/blinkers etc that will work for the 510?

also check that all your ground wires are grounded good 

if not it can cause multiple issues 

• 2 months later...

Oh man.....you need to update this bitch......

It was great meetin' ya Saturday......great find also :thumbup:

I agree with ya on the wheels.....they need to go.....it'll feel like a different car....

Stock color without a doubt for paint :thumbup:

We'll take a shot at those electrical issues next time I see you........it's a simple system......maybe Bababooey will let us barrow his diagram..........

...................I don't know why I don't have one yet...........

Keep givin' her love!!

• Like 2

Hey guys, 

Its been a while since I last updated this thread but I finally got more work done with something to show for it.

Nothing major but , today with the help of Busta Nut I installed a tach in my dash.

I got a 2.5 inch equus tach at O'Reilly

20140315_161548_zps8fad8523.jpg

Next I cut a hole in the center of the right dash well. The 2.5 inch tach fits nicely into the center.

20140315_163300_zps608ca4d9.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness

20140315_170309_zps7b73013b.jpg

I think it looks sharp and goes well with the dash! 

20140315_181305_zpsda270441.jpg

I've been going to a couple meets and have put a few hundred more miles on the car bringing it to almost 2000 more miles since I bought it if I remember correctly.

It's been a blast to drive and I'm looking forward to getting some more work done. I still have a few things to do to get the car in perfect shape and I still have to do something about getting new wheels sooner rather than later. 

Hopefully, I'll continue to have some more updates as I progress. I still have a lot to learn about this car and I'm looking forward to it!  :thumbup:

• Like 3