510 question

10psitx

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, all 68-71 510's automatics were column shift, 72-73 were floor shift.  Swapping to manual is relatively easy if you are mechanically capable.  All of the parts are pretty easy to source here (I typically have most of the necessary parts available!), there are some guys in TX, so you might find regionally.  You'll spend $300-500++ on parts, including a transmission (that will be the biggest expense!), cheapest way is a 4speed (cuz they are a dime a dozen!), best way is prolly a 280ZX 5 speed.  I documented my swap on my 70 510 here last year..........

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40424-yenpits-1970-510-4-door-beater/

......and I think you will need to go here for the auto-to-manual wiring trick, which was kinda complicated to figure out, but once I got it done it's easy!

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/45721-510-auto-to-manual-reverse-lights/

Hope that helps!

The info is much appreaciated guys....i not a 510 guy my self but i have a 82 210 and a gaggle of 240sx's ....i will be getting the 510 by december sadly it wont stay an L series. i have a sr20VE in RWD conversion ( RWD DE block with a VE head) and also a fully built KA24 de-t engine....both engine need homes. I don't have any pics  as i didnt want to owner to think i was too interested... his asking price is high as it is.

The owner deals with high end re-po and insurance auction cars.... the 510 was an impulse buy 3 years ago for him and has been sitting since. This guy has an actual Jaguar E type in his yard as well! He sorta knows the value of the car so the sell price is high...he wants $2800 shipped to TX.

As far as skill on my part...i build short circuit (Auto X) and drift cars as a sideline.I will be able to handle the swap. My main concern was tearing up the car and it being uncommon as i can't recall seeing any... any opinions as to weather i should keep it stock and restore it or give into my planned mods? 

Everyone on here isn't going to hate to see you mod the car and we won't hate for being stock. We will hate if you through a LSX engine in there.

Stock or modded, it's a fun car to drive. Easy to work on. And turns heads everywhere. You really can't go wrong. The basic setup is.

L20b swap (2L upgrade from the 1.6)

Lower the car on coils.

Old school rims.

Rising sun somewhere on the car.

Dual side drafts

Haha. That's the recipe for a good 510

• Like 1

A well dont swap will be fine... most things that piss people off here are people that take on more than they can handle, tear into a car, and then never finish. Hate to see a car ger ruined. 

The real deciding factor on stock vs. swap is whats the condition of the car? If its nearly stock and in great condition we would lean toward just fixing it up and running with the L. If it needs some work aesthetically and has already had some parts on it etc. then swaps are fine. 

I will say this....once the mods begin it will be full steam ahead untill its ready for street/track use.... ive built multiple cars for my self and for customers so dropping it half way is not an option.... i like the LS-X engines but not for old school JDM tin.

I actually grew up in the Carribean so old school j-Tin is second nature.... kinda been there done that, But never owned a 510.

The condition of the car is about what you would expect for a car this age that was not abused.....surface rust, a few dents, damaged hood and right side fender, all trim and interior present, driver side floor may need to be replaced due to rot, It does have some decent wide stock rims too. I would say its on the brink of either restore or rat rod status and there is nothing after market on the car except the rims and even that i'm not sure about it looks like rebarreled factory rims....  

All Borg Warner 510s were column shift. Nissan switched to their own 'in house' 3N71B automatics in April '71. They switched to floor consul shift in June '71 (or about the start of the '72 model year) thus for about a two month period there were 3N71B automatics with column shift. That doesn't seem too interesting but the BW 35 autos had the linkage on the driver's side... the 3N71B is on the right. Special linkages had to be used for this two month only period.

Is there a link to the ad we can see?

Or can we ser a pic?

No ad....interesting story though... a buddy and i went to florida to drop off his honda S2000 to get it sold hang out and party for the week and we were to drive back his Sentra SE-R to Texas....well he lost the sentra title and could not get it legal, This is where the owner of the 510 came in, he is a friend of my buddy and was trying to help get the sentra legal (as he buys and sells cars). We went to the car lot  and that is where i saw the 510.,.. he said  someone put a down payment on the car a year or so ago and has not come back since. I believe the price he is asking includes the previous downpaymet so if the guy does show up he will get the money back and the owner does not loss any money....as i said interesting...... 

All Borg Warner 510s were column shift. Nissan switched to their own 'in house' 3N71B automatics in April '71. They switched to floor consul shift in June '71 (or about the start of the '72 model year) thus for about a two month period there were 3N71B automatics with column shift. That doesn't seem too interesting but the BW 35 autos had the linkage on the driver's side... the 3N71B is on the right. Special linkages had to be used for this two month only period.

the shifter and linkage is on the passenger side so it would be safe to assume it's 3N71B in there?

Hey Mike, can you clarify.......the linkage was on the drivers side of the column vs passenger side of the column, OR do you mean there was some sort of crossbar that went over to the passenger side of the car, then down to the trans??

Hey Mike, can you clarify.......the linkage was on the drivers side of the column vs passenger side of the column, OR do you mean there was some sort of crossbar that went over to the passenger side of the car, then down to the trans??

The gear selector on the trans itself is on the opposite side. There is a linkage that goes from the drivers side to the the passenger side inside the trans tunnel. 

The gear selector on the trans itself is on the opposite side. There is a linkage that goes from the drivers side to the the passenger side inside the trans tunnel. 

This is likely the most plausible thing. I have pictures of the linkages from the column to the driver's side of the BW35 automatic, but have no idea how they worked the 3N71B linkage over on the passenger side.  

Whoa, I can't remember seeing that on my 72 auto car, but that was 5 yrs ago when I took that car apart!  Something new on these cars all the time!

TJ, all floor shift cars have 3N71B automatics with the transmission shifter on the right or passenger side. The 3N71B was introduced in April but floor shifts not until June of '71. So for a short time there were column shift 3N71B autos. We're not sure how they managed to shift them when all the previous Borg Warner 35 automatics had a left side shift linkage.

Thanks for clarifying Mike!  My 72 was a floor shift car, but I sold the trans and all of the parts to a guy in FL that wanted to put it in a Roadster for his wife!  I told him that I didn't know if it would fit the Roadster, but he bought it anyway.  Ahhhh, anything for love!! :wub:

• 2 months later...

I have been having a hard time getting the owner to return my calls/messages....so the car is not in my possesion yet...i may be going to Florida in February if the car is still available and the owner wants to sell for the agreed price i will be bringing it back to Texas...Hopefully it works out.

• 1 month later...

Finally closed the deal on the car, paid more than i wanted.... but it was just unloaded at my shop, started the engine in Florida so i now i know the motor runs and the tranny may need some attention(fresh fluid) the driver side floor board is rotted out and a fair bit of surface rust to deal with. I will be taking some pics on sat and ill post them up the hood and passenger front fender is damaged, All the elctrical is in good shape and untouched as is the entire car, the carb needs a refresh as well,it starts,revs and idles but the plunger is old, Motor is strong, body relatively straight and interion is in good shape for a car thats been sitting out side since 1982...(last registration sticker). Pics coming this weekend.

• Like 1

Congrats. I'd love to have a 510 again. I drove a column shift 69 for two years.

You ought a think about putting the SR or KA in the 210. Fits like a dream.

Thanks! as far as the engine is concerned, i have a few options, i got a sweet deal while in Florida with 2 sr20det complete swaps, and a s13 silvia front end conversion. With that said... options for engine swap currentely sitting at the shop include, s15sr20det with 6 speed, Red or Black top sr20det with 5 speed or CA18det with 5 speed....I also came upon a very nice deal with a 4 door 510 last night here in Austin, no engine/tranny, was an auto, straight body and rolls freely. Ill try to go look at it this weekend.