***Schneider cam Kit

paradoxx

Wazup, I've called to schneider cams and Isky cams already, asking for prices of a complete cam kit for my L16. The only one that answered me was shneider, with this:

284-F .488" lift $125.00

68020 $ 52.50

73003 $ 45.00

70908 $ 42.50

Shipping to Miami $ 20.00

What do you think?? That is cam, lash pads, springs, everything needed. is that cam good for my 80% stock engine?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Realm (http://www.the510realm.com) that'd be Bertvorgon, Bryon, 510Rob etc. Depends on what you're doing with your engine. Most street engines up here run a Shadbolt/Colt cam setup called the "445" (I've got one of these in my L20b in the 4 door). This is basically the factory solex/mikuni profile. Trouble is you'll need to run better springs inner and outer to take advantage of the cam profile. Less aggressive, but, emissions friendly and shift the powerband down a bit, that's the "449" grind which is basically the old factory "SU" cam profile (I've one of these in my wagon L20b). More aggressive? There's cam grinds these fellows make which are even more aggressive, but, you need to know the performance envelope before you start with those.

In the states there's a fellow named Kelving Deitz who makes a grind which is called the "Damb Cam". You'll find him on the bluebirds list or at his store at http://www.datsun510.com. US side there's also the Crane cams which list 3 grinds for the "L" series engines. I've got the mildest "DA-292" in another L20b of mine and it seems to be OK. Common complaint with Crane is that the billet for the cams is pretty soft so the lobes wear pretty fast (mine are worn pretty badly, however I didn't build this engine and used as is from a parts car when I blew the head gasket on my stock L16). I've no direct experience with either Schneider or Isky cams so I can't offer an opinion on either.

also just to let you know, it took like 4-5 weeks to get my cam from Scheider.

I think they had to Grind the cam. They are not in stock unless you get lucky.

Paradoxx

You sure that is the correct price on that Cam?125$ is too cheap.(unless that is whole sale price, NOT retail) Esp when ordered from the Factory. Usually one has to go thru a wholesaler to get it cheaper. When buying from the Manufacture usaully cost more.

125$ I would tell everybody to buy these cause they are NEW and not waist time on used L20b(SSS cams) if you realy could get them for 125$

Most are 145$ on up to 200$ for just a Cam.

Here's some of the basic Shadbolt/Colt Cam profiles. All of these are proven to work well depending on your application. Good catch by Hainz, installation of all of these will require the use of either new or re fininished rocker arms and may require different sized lash pads. They will only re grind stock Datsun cams too so you will need to send them a core.

449 Profile:

Duration: 256 degrees

Overlap: xx degrees (very little = good for emissions)

Lift: 0.492

Jason Good info on the cams.

But I think this one would be the Best for Parodox,s L16. The L16 is a small motor and you really need some torq. and best to have a lower duration and maybe gear ratio.. But JasonI realy need to drive your car to get a feel for it.

449 Profile:

Duration: 256 degrees

Overlap: xx degrees (very little = good for emissions)

Lift: 0.492

Morning Hainz, nice to know that the Schneider Cams are more durable than the Cranes. I've run both the 449 and 445 grinds now as well as the Crane 292. I like the 449 best for the city daily driver. The powerband is about 3000-5500rpm with a nice little bump over the stock L20b cam. It's also more emissions friendly due to it's overlap being so small so it's fairly nice to build on for daily driver street motor. The 445 grind is more aggressive, it shifts the powerband up about 1000rpm and is a bitch to get emissioned (air care up here) with a crappy set of sidedraft anything's. You'll need to ensure that your carb setup is tuned and balanced and that you have no throttle shaft leaks for that as well as leaning the crap out of it and all. After that, they get way too aggressive for how I drive, the powerbands narrow up and shift up higher to where the engine has to be built properly to run them. Next time I come down and visit I'll try and bring one of the cars with one of the cams in them to let you try the car out. Nothing I have setup should be driven over 6500rpm for long, even the 445 grind cam. I don't have spray bars or stiff springs or anything in them. You know me, just puttering around LOL.

Well thanx for the replys.........hainz, I did call shneider cams and this guy Jerry gave me that price, so I guess im lucky or I dont know. Hainz, you think the 449 profile is the one for me. I will take a look at the rocker arms you've said.

BTW how many hp does this 449 gives me?

Hard to say on the L16, if you do decide to run it you should dyno the car and post up the numbers. It will be better than stock, but, far from startling. If you want more than say 85 hp at the rear wheels (or about a 105 hp or so at the crank) you'd be better going with a larger displacement block. There's no cheap way to power on a L series motor, especially on a L16, more than this will start costing real money.

On a L20b with a 445 grind cam and dual hitachi carbs you can expect somewhere around 120lb/ft of torque and around 110hp at the rear wheels which is about 135+ crank hp for a 510. That's pretty typical numbers for a street L20b. The 449 will give you a few hp less and lower in the rev range I'd say.

Guest DatsuNoob

Delta camshaft in Tacoma will do custom grinds for whatever vehicle you want. I got a couple buddies who went down there together and they spent $150 each and each walked away with exactly what they wanted. 2 VW 8V 272 cams(I dont see a datsun 8V 2.0 or 1.6 one costing any more) They'll give a better deal when buying 2, so take a friend.

Jason one day I would like to drive your car!!!!!!!!!I got to ck out this cam.

Paradox

Myself I would just stay with the Scneider cam and buy the whole kit.

It comes with everything. and its NEW and the base circles are new!!!!

The Canadian cams are REGRINDS and the base circle will be smaller and Lash pads could be any size Really BIG which you would have to order and I dont know if they come with Retainers and Springs and a recommened lash pad size. So youll have to wait even longer I guess. I dont know. Thats why I say go with the Scheider Isky setups. Its more a complete kit

The Scheider will be close to .160-175 on the lash pads with a new cam. But I use all Nissanmotorsport stuff and have them already and dont know if since the move to tennesee if people have gotton parts from them yet.

But I do like that #449 cam grind but due to CUSTOMS issues from Canada I avoid this HASSLE. Unless Jason wants to step up to the plate and get it for you and then go thru the hassle of expalining the lash pad process.

I have a whole set of .150 -200 at home so I know what I MIGHT need. At 3$ apc its alot of money to have spent on lash pads and NOT use, But it helps just in case I need them

Also Datsun Noob

Iam not impressed with Delta Camshafts. I have I Isky Clone on my banzai car it seems fine so far. A little bit of wear that I can see.

However I went down there one day and bought 3 L series cams A 450 lift and a 460 lift cam. 33$ apc. with Core exchange. I thought I was shiting in HIGH Cotton!!!!! The I took the cams to work one day and find out the lift was like .410-.412 lift then minus the valve lash of say .008/.010 I will have about .400 lift at the valve. So more or less I have a stock cam with longer duration. So If you want them to make a cam for you you better measure them otherwise I would avoid them. I gave one of these cams to Bleach and he gave it to RYan and latter he bought another cam. I told him to buy a bigger cam in the 1st place and had to do everything all over again.

i say get a 460-475 minimum for a cam lift all else below that is a waist of time and the cost is the same to get a bigger cam.

my Scheider 460lift 260in/270ex cam should have come stock in my L16 from the factory.

So goin back to Datsun Noob I emailed Delta Cams about the cams not being the correct lift as advertised and all of a sedden the emails stopped comming back!!!!!!!!! But if the price is close to 100 for a Custon Regrind I would go with a New core cam myself. But this is ME

I use the Schneider break in grease and right before start up I pour oil over the cam and rockers,chain

also a L16SSS cam is the same as a L20 cam or a slight variation, as the emissions went along(yrs) So ask your self is a stock L20 fast enough.NO!!!!!!!!!!! So putting a SSS cam in a stock L16 means nothing anyways. Dont waist the hassle of swapping a cam like that in. Ezer to swap in a L20 with you have a 200mm flywheel!!!!

Remeber L20bs had their cams set to #2 for emission reasons also

A SSS L18 I believe seen quoted had 112hp at the crank from nissan specs(use this as a reference)

You'd be more than welcome to try the car Hainz. It's nothing special as far as I'm concerned. Everyone else in the club up here is faster! The complete schneider setup is fine I think. As you've pointed out there's more involved with the re grinds. We do it up here because it's always been done that way, heh! Truth to tell though, the reason for the re grinds is that the good billets are now NLA and have been for awhile. The old Datsun cam billets are miles better than what you can get these days, so....

I think you'd be fine with the schneider kit. You could be more aggressive if you'd like. The SSS cam, I can't remember the specs on it, but, you'd be close with the 254 I think. I just noticed you're in Guatemala so I guess finding the larger L20 block might be harder for you and you're going to need stuff shipped over for you. Good Luck!

http://www.schneidercams.com/pricesheet8.htm

Cam part# PRICE

LIST PRICE,RESALE PRICE

17001 27 $300.00 $195.00

17002 300.00 195.00

17003 27 300.00 195.00

17004 27 300.00 195.00

17005 27 300.00 195.00

17006 27 300.00 195.00

17007 27 300.00 195.00

17008 27 300.00 195.00

17010 27 300.00 195.00

17011 27 300.00 195.00

VALVE SPRING KIT WITH RETAINERS LASH PADS

49001 28 $161.50(RETAIL) $104.98(RESALE)

just use the part# and thats the price. Unless someone tells you otherwise and even then it still might be different if some one else process the order.

Maybe Jerry is giving you a wholesale price?

I do like that #449 Canadian cam!!! But I assume you dont want the hassle of Custons and other parts issues

The SSS cam?? Dont ask about it!!! Use it to hit Fish on the head!!!!!!!

a SSS motor makes more HP cause it hass the bigger valves(intake valves) THAN a stock L16 and SSS has bigger intake ports1.5inch and dual carbs.

SSS cam means SSSHIT