74 620 4x4 dana27 to '83 toyota axle swap

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on, thank you guys.  I am going to work on the truck today and I will be rewiring the voltage regulator to utilize the internal regulator of my alternator.  Hopefully bypassing the external and wiring up the alternator correctly will fix my problem.  Ill let yall know more when I do and Ill get some pictures as well.

So I have not done too much more but I did promise some pictures.  Anyways here we go.

just to remember what we are working on, with my cool custom hood prop

20150731_171444.jpg

heres the bundled pile of coils I have going, I will simplify when I actually have this MFer running again

20150731_171430.jpg

and the engine with the wires etc

20150731_171419.jpg

here is a shot of the external regulator wires jumped and now I need to plug this in and hook up the alternator and try again.

20150801_192504.jpg

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

So, here we are 9 months later and I decided that I need to push my frustration aside and finish this SOB. So I kept messing with it and thought, what about the dizzy? So I threw one at it with a cap and rotor and the truck started right up! !! I need to tie up some loose ends on it this weekend, but I think I will finally be rolling this beast again. Also hoping to take it wheeling at Hollister memorial day. If I do I'll get some action pics for yall.

• Like 1

Did you re-do the front spring mounts? I would like some pics of that. The setup it had when I owned it was a little scary. Also do you have any pics of the steering setup? That was pretty scary when I had it too. I added the maximuma brake master and propartioning valve but with those GM half ton calipers I could never get it quite right.

I have moved somewhere that doesn't require smog on anything over 25years old and would like to have a 4x4 620 again. I think I may try the tdi + 22r transmission as the drive train.

I have moved somewhere that doesn't require smog on anything over 25years old and would like to have a 4x4 620 again. I think I may try the tdi + 22r transmission as the drive train.

I have thought about that as well. I think it would be an awesome setup in a Datto. 

That would be a sweet set up. The front spring mounts are custom trail gear spring perches. The steering was completely re done with hi steer on the Toyota axle. As for the brakes I have land cruiser master and disks with v6 4 runner calipers. V6 4 runner rear drums also. Brakes no problem now! Completely different truck from when you had it. Finishing the exhaust tomorrow, I'll get pics of it along with some more pics of the front for you.

The biggest issue was the brake booster(v6 4 runner ), so cutting the firewall, moving the clutch cylinder over repatching the firewall. It works great, stops on a dime for sure. Also depending on your calipers some adaptation there probably, my stuff was all Toyota, so that made it bolt together pretty easy, not sure about adapting to other things, but I don't think it would be that hard, just requiring creativity ya know.