california truck cub pictures ziggy star dust truck too

devilduece

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out how many of those trucks had "Parnelli Jones Firestone Wide Oval" tires...Those were THE tire of the seventies. We all had those tires and seems as though if ya didn't have White spoke wheels ya had "slot Mags"..as a way of illustration, this picture is from April 1976 and that truck is only 2 days old (look: still had the "dealer Paper Plates (Harbor Datsun) and brand new white spokes and Firestone Wide Ovals Original "Ol Yeller"

olyeller76Datsunpu.jpg

Love seeing those pic's! When I was in HS everybody (well alot of guys) drove mini pickups. Those pics depict the way a lot of them looked. I wish I would have taken pictures of my High School parking lot... what a great time.

Thanks much for those pictures! :love:

Check out how many of those trucks had "Parnelli Jones Firestone Wide Oval" tires...Those were THE tire of the seventies. We all had those tires and seems as though if ya didn't have White spoke wheels ya had "slot Mags"..as a way of illustration, this picture is from April 1976 and that truck is only 2 days old (look: still had the "dealer Paper Plates (Harbor Datsun) and brand new white spokes and Firestone Wide Ovals Original "Ol Yeller"

olyeller76Datsunpu.jpg

Yea white spokes. I Put them on a 67 VW 13X7 with raised white letters. Man did I think I was cool.

OK, Duece,

I'm going out on a "limb" here in assuming that Your Dad was in Orange County Truckers and that these were His fellow club members trucks. The photos appear to be at 3 different locations. One has a guardrail so it must be in the mountains or hilly area somewhere. A few seem to be almost like up at Devore and the rest look to be in the infield at the old Ontario Motor Speedway. I see in photo #9 bleachers and a Union 76 sign. That might have been to advertise gasoline on the pit area???? I remember Your Dad's truck, Brown Sugar. Next on photo # 3 is Dwaynne's Ziggy's Stardust, naturally named after a David Bowie song. I had never seen a bra on that truck so I am guessing that it is late in 1975. Also, the signiature megaphone pipes have been sold to Dave Bednarczyk. They don't show in the photo. Dave's truck was totolled in December 1975 so that is another thing I am using for the dates. I was there that day at Gene's Muffler when they were sold. #4 the orange truck is familiar but I didn't photograph it. Nice to see it!! Those flares We called "L.A." flares, different than Fontana flares. Those were the type I bought and molded into My Datsun SS. In the background and in photo #9 is California Datsun. I loved that truck with the long custom camper shell windows and the painted green mags. Very different. #5 is Misty. I have a photo of that truck. Next is Steve Maraggio's Plush Mini. It was in Volume 1 # 1 of Truckin' magazine on pages 18, 19 and at the Beaver Burnout on page 8. It was one of only 5 minitrucks that Truckin' printed on bubblegum collector cards! That was card # 27 of 44. I have two. The views that Your Dad took show Plush Mini with a new paint job. When I saw it and it was in the magazine it didn't have the panels on the sides, the hood scoop, the pinstriped flames on the hood and had an airbrushed band only with stars on the sides. #7 is the red 620 with a fiberglass hood I think that was made by "mini masters". That is why the hood pins are there. In those days a latch couldn't be made to work so it was common for the hood pins to hold a fiberglass hood closed. In the background is Steve's Courier. #8 is _______ Ecstacy. I don't remember that truck. Misty is in the background. #9 was California Datsun. That is what the lettering on the rear of the bed said. I have a view of the other side and it shows more clearly. That was a neat truck too. Maybe that's why I drifted so heavily into minitrucks. Everybody back then did something way different than the next guy. I'm still doing that. Last is Four Bang Her. I remember that truck. Note the ever present (70s) fad, the rear wing spoiler. Almost every truck with a camper shell had one. Also the "superscoops" to let air into the shells. That is what Ziggy's Stardust was running for hood scoops. Volkswagen rear side bubble superscoop windows poprivited to the hood. The only truck I ever remember doing that. The blue Luv in the background on photo #9 looks like My friend David Daniel's brother's truck. It had a Me Too shell that wasn't too common outside the San Diego area.

Thank You so much for sharing those photos!!! Many good memories there!!! Tell Your Dad "Hi". Take care, Mike

73 Super,

That is the second time You've made that refrence. I am guseeing that it is a complement to this definition:

Eidetic memory, photographic memory, or total recall is the ability to recall images, sounds, or objects in memory with extreme accuracy and in abundant volume. The word eidetic (pronounced /aɪˈdɛtɨk/) means related to extraordinarily detailed and vivid recall of visual images, and comes from the Greek word είδος (eidos), which means "form".[1] Eidetic memory can have a very different meaning for memory experts who use the picture elicitation method to detect it. Eidetic memory as observed in children is typified by the ability of an individual to study an image for approximately 30 seconds, and maintain a nearly perfect photographic memory of that image for a short time once it has been removed--indeed such eidetikers claim to "see" the image on the blank canvas as vividly and in as perfect detail as if it were still there.

Although many adults have demonstrated extraordinary memory abilities, before this finding, it was previously unknown whether true eidetic memory can persist into adulthood.[2][3][4][5] While many artists and composers such as Claude Monet and Mozart are commonly thought to have had eidetic memory, it is possible that their memories simply became highly trained in their respective fields of art, as they each devoted large portions of their waking hours towards the improvement of their abilities.[6] Such a focus on their individual arts most likely improved the relevant parts of their memory, which may account for their surprising abilities.

I couldn't find a defination for "Rainman" as it is only a movie title. But if You are comparing Me to the likes of Mozart and Monet, I am honored. Basically I am still infatuated with what were the best years of My life. Trying to share those memories is My pleasure. I just wish that I could, if for just ONE DAY, take You ALL back to see how awesome it all was!!

• 1 month later...

Hey deuce,

Somebody robbed Your Dad's photo and is using it on ebay. I doubt seriously that there was EVER another bra like that one. You would have to first find the mega-rare VW side windows that Dwaynne used for the hood scoops.

Check out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37.l1313%26satitle%3D330274333930%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1&item=330274333930

Just a heads up. That's what We do on here.

• 5 years later...