dat77sun's new 1982 720 build

dat77sun

BACK IN A DATSUN!!! since i rolled my 84 may she rest in peice :'( ive been wanting another, everything i drove didnt really feel right till last weekend, got myself a 1982 720 4x4! almost identical to my old one except a black interior and silver paint without the blue tint.  this thing is nice for what it is, z22 5spd, mostly all original, even has the original radio! it is the mvp package wich included the factory rollbar, tube rear bumper, and some dress up options.  also forgot about the best part, 93,000 original miles on it, im the 3rd owner, lets hope this doesnt end up like my 84 did

1383125_685126844831797_563274382_n_zps6

1380406_685476028130212_1275646517_n_zps

• Like 1
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so to catch you up in the last week ive owned it, i took it wheeling, lost a oil cap (reason for being towed) and locked my keys in it forcing me to bust a king cab window.  replaced the window half hour after i broke it with one i got from the junkyard.  some pics of the interior, never had a shift boot when i bought it so i modified a 2wd harbody boot to fit in the console, this thing has the original datsun radio in it for now, going to pull that out and replace it with my sony.

null_zps1fb46f79.jpg

null_zpsc4ee9dfe.jpg

null_zpsfc734dfc.jpg

null_zps88874a6a.jpg

null_zps7dc94c89.jpg

null_zps9f4b30a6.jpg

null_zps4b4fed69.jpg

• Like 1

because we couldnt get a oil cap at 11:30, and with the timing chain right there it was throwing oil everywhere and didnt wanna risk loosing the motor

OK, I have never paid much attention to Z blocks/valve covers, I will always figure out something to get me home myself, even if I have to loosen the valve cover and squeeze duct tape between the valve cover seal and over the hole in the valve cover, and back down the other side of it and between the seal and the head again because the duct tape won't stick to the oily valve cover.

Try anything, fold a shirt up into a little square, cover the hole, and use a bungee cord to hold it there.

If you have nothing with you, then use what you have, use the leather transmission shifter knob, just unscrew it off the shifter stick and screw it into the valve cover hole, or maybe the 4X4 selector knob will work, work with what you have, the only time I have ever been towed home in a Datsun has been when I was hit head on in my 320, and the fan was in the radiator, and water was leaking out, and the other time was when that piece of shit dogleg locked up and the truck would not move.

I have had cops telling me they were calling a tow truck, and I looked directly at them and said, "don't do that, I will get it out of the road", and they watched me do just that and then they drove off, I then figured out what the issue was and drove home.

Look around and find something, what about a golf ball sized rock?

I am not trying to make you mad, I am trying to make you think about it, and what you can do about it at that moment.  :)

• Like 1

yea i understand wayne, i woulda have figured something like that out, but at that time i didnt have my tools or anything in it, and my buddy was just down the street with the trailer already hooked up to his truck so we just decided this would be easiest, and actually the next day to get me to the parts store i used a plastic bottle cap wrapped in electrical taped and threaded it into the hole to get me there :P

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...