72 521 might end up with a V8

Suspect

For this....

"make a dependable truck out of it."

Do this.

"Part of me just wants to put a L16 and 4 speed in it."

An iron duke is far more dependable and cheaper than a L16.  For the cost to convert the L16 to electronic ignition I can buy a complete running Iron duke.  Plus its not like if I need something for a Datsun, any junkyard or anyone around here would have anything.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the flathead in the truck by removing the exhaust manifold, with enough room for a radiator and fan...  but the engine is stuck solid and I cant get it to free up. 

And the iron duke is a GM 2.5L 4 Cylinder found in first generation Chevy S-10, 120hp and 140ftlbs of torque.....  not the same engine as the Flathead V8

The Iron Duke is about as reliable and bulletproof as they come.  I ran them for years in a few different S-10's, they were never fast but rather indestructible.  About 8 years ago I bought a 86 Chevy S-10 , was iron duke with a 4 speed, guy ran it out of oil, drove it till it threw a rod threw the side of the block.  I gave 200$ for the truck, drove it 45 miles home, never added oil (no point, would just run out the side).  It hammered all the way home at 55-60mph, smoking like a train.  Just when you thought it was done, bout to give up on hope, it would start to run better again.  For about a month of 10-20 mile daily trips here and there with it, the engine just didn't want to give up.  Then on my way back home, it started to hammer really loud as if it wasn't loud already, a big bang, clank, etc...  I pushed in the clutch and it died.  I coasted almost the rest of the way to my house....  all there was between me and home was a large hill.  I parked the truck on the side of the road, walked home, went to bed.  The next morning, went back to the truck, hit the key, let it crank for a bit and it started back up but man was it running sick.  I matted the gas to the floor, get some r's up, started easing up the clutch pedal, barely had enough left in her to get up the hill at 5-10mph.  I pulled it in front of the garage where I had an engine ready to replace it and that was the last time it ran.

10497894_10152230801181937_8445392556240