I sit in the chair and look at the engine.

jfbrink

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Think about a mechanical problem as you drift off to sleep at night. Seriously. You mind is relaxing and 'floating' and not in a rigid thinking groove. You may have many fanciful ideas but every now and the there is a eureka moment. (write them down immediately)

• 2 weeks later...

The engine is a Mazda K8 1.8L V6; the transmission is a Miata 5-speed. The engine was super-cheap, imported from Japan, probably because no sensible person wants the "world's smallest" production V6 when they can get a 2.5L KL in the same form factor. 

411_swap_k8_fitment_1.jpg

The engine and trans together weigh less than the R16 the car came with. 

I started a new job the week after I got the engine, so I've only had time to do a mock-up of the engine-to-trans mounting plate so that I could bolt the two together to test fitment. Actually, I also managed to modify the stock intake manifold so that I can rotate it 180 and bolt it on (otherwise the throttle body points into the firewall). I'm trying to work on the EFI wiring diagram at night, but work-work keeps getting in the way. 

This, by the way, is my 411 EV. The electric drivetrain is still mounted in the rear and fully functional, which makes moving the car around really easy.

Jesse. 

• Like 2

Regarding engine choice, I have a Miata drivetrain in my Roadster, and I love the driving experience. But, that engine is too long for the 411 engine bay. I've always wanted a V6, and the K8 matches the Miata BP 1.8L power output pretty closely. I really don't want more power than I want. With the output of this engine and the weigh savings, this Bluebird will fly well enough for me. 

As for the exhaust, it's actually pretty clean shot down and back. 

Jesse.