Ugly, Rusted, and Rotten... Probably should of been forgotten... a.k.a. "Rusty" the 720 International pick-up

I ended up doing a temporary fix, mounted a couple cheap taillights to my rear bumper. My wiring issue is somewhere under the truck bed. I'm gonna try and find a new rear harness and fix it correctly when the weather warms up. :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a "fun" day with the truck today in single digit temps outside......

I got up this morning and it wouldn't start. It cranked and cranked, but not so much as a sputter to start.

I checked for fuel... Got it!

I checked for spark... Got it!

I swapped plugs, just because... Nope, not it!

turned on the ignition switch and heard a strange "buzzing" noise from the coil...

I swapped the coil... Nope, not it!

I swapped out the distributer (since I had a new one in my spare parts box)... VRRRRRRROOOOOMMMMM!!!!!

That did it, Truck runs great again.

If I sniff the matchbox on my old dizzy it smells sorta burnt. I'm gonna order a new matchbox for my old dizzy, so I have another back up unit. What would cause this all of a sudden? I've heard people brag and brag about how great the Matchbox dizzy is, but I believe this is the second one I've had fail on me. Maybe I've just had crummy luck.

This particular dizzy was stuck in a constant "fire" sequence. You could pull the coil wire and hold it near anything metal and it just threw a constant spark without the motor cranking, I've never seen anything like it before.

Datzenmike... Any thoughts? :confused:

• 9 months later...

It's been forever ago since I've posted anything on this page, but I'm wanting to lower this thing. I know how to adjust the torsion bars up front and I know I can drop the rear with block, but I'd rather lower the rear the "correct" way. I had a beautiful show quality Toyota lowrider truck about 6 years ago and it was lowered in the rear using blocks. I hated the block, because I could feel the rear axle twist the springs back and forth under acceleration and braking. I'd really like to get some 4" lowering leaf springs, but I haven't  found any specific to this truck. I have found some from Belltech, but they say they are for 1986 and newer D21 pick ups and I don't know if they will fit.

If not... does anyone make 4" drop leaf springs for this truck anymore??? :confused:

You will not have much suspension left with a 4 inch drop, and that is after you have removed the bump stops, I have 3 inch blocks and hit every once in a while, and I am trying to not let it hit.

To have it low and have any type of suspension, you are going to have to notch the rear frame and buy drop spindles for the front, this will require 15 inch rims also.

I have a build that is really low, but it has a lot of modifications, but I have a suspension, and 14 inch rims, and I used mostly 720 parts.

I notched the rear frame.

DSCN2119.JPG

I used 4X4 leafs(1 1/2 inch drop) and roadster shackle mounts.

DSCN2108.JPG

DSCN2127.JPG

I used 520 front leaf mounts.

DSCN1559.JPG

DSCN1560.JPG

I used 510 wagon leaf/shock mounts.

DSCN2194.JPG

DSCN2208.JPG

I did some major mods on the front, drop arms, moved the tension rods, flipped the upper control arms after putting the right on the left, and left on the right, I used roadster shocks and mounted them where the sway bar mounts in the arm.

I forgot to show you how low I got, my 520 project is sitting on a 720 frame.

DSCN3452.JPG

And here is what Charlie did to it to show me what a 4 door would look like, he did really good on this photo.

Waynos66NL520QuadCab_zps10032332.jpg

I raised it up in the front an inch, it was just scrapping to much getting in my driveway, otherwise it wasn't that bad, but I am happy I raised it that inch.

I did not know that these kind of plates were on 720s, I just learned something new, thankyou Charlie.  :thumbup:

I am curious, are the shocks pointed the same way when installed on a 4X4 720, what I mean is are the shocks both tilted backwards, or is one tilted forwards, and one backwards, as the plates look the same, like they are both for one side?

These are from a 720 4x4.  With a little mod they could be used as Wayno shows.

7204x4LeafSpringShockMounts2_zps9fc13bc6

7204x4LeafSpringShockMounts1_zps0bdc24ff

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like i'm gonna go the dually route instead. I just bought a complete Dually rear axle set up... Axle, wheels, tires, leaf springs, etc. etc. etc.

i'm going to pick it up this weekend. i'll post pics soon.

I guess I'll slam the next one. :devil:

I did not know that these kind of plates were on 720s, I just learned something new, thankyou Charlie.  :thumbup:

I am curious, are the shocks pointed the same way when installed on a 4X4 720, what I mean is are the shocks both tilted backwards, or is one tilted forwards, and one backwards, as the plates look the same, like they are both for one side?

Wayno I am going back to the junkyard this Saturday so I will check.  I think they both slant back. you are welcome.  The plates on the 4x4 are on the bottom of the axle and the spring is on the top.  You remove the centering bolt from the leaf spring and flip it.  So the leaf spring can be mounted on the bottom of the axle. I will add pictures to a new post.

Raise one side off the ground, mark the pinion flange in a place it is easy to count how many times it turns, then turn the wheel that is off the ground two complete turns and count how many times the pinion flange turns, if it turns just over 4 1/2 turns, that would be 4.625 gears, if it turns just over 4 1/3 turns, that would be 4.37 gears, and if it turns just over 4 turns, that would be 411 gears, those are the only ratios the CA200 rearends have that I know of, I have never seen a 411 gear ratio in the dually rearend, but it is possible to put them gears in it.

Note that the other wheel cannot turn either way, that is why I say to lift only one wheel off the ground, then the other wheel cannot move.

I got my dually rear assembly on Friday. How do I determine the gear ratio without breaking it down? I spun the brake drum one revolution and the drive shaft flange turned about 1 1/8 turn. Does this help?

I look at the photo you posted of the plates, they are both exactly the same, they look like the same side, now if one shock went forward, and one backward, then the plates in the photo you posted would work.

See how my plates are different, see how one has to be upside down to point the same way as the other one, if I flip mine over and keep the shock mount at the bottom in the photo, it will point the other way, not like yours where they are both pointing the same way.

DSCN2194.JPG

Wayno the truck I pulled the springs off of had both shocks slanting back just like the 520, 521,320, 620.

• Like 1

You can just bolt that rearend to your leafs if you want, it kinda depends on what your going to use it for.

The rearend is only rated for 1700lbs, although I regularly exceed that rating, I likely have tripled it in the past.

What leafs came with the dually rearend, do they look like the one in the photo below?

DSCN1139.JPG

Where can I get new bushings for the leaf springs? Mine look toasted :(

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I haven't been on here in forever, but this old rat is still tearing up the roads, but the driveshaft needs replaced. I can no longer buy the replacement and the U-Joints are "staked in" making them non-replaceable. Does anyone on here have a GOOD driveshaft they want to sell? This truck is the standard cab, standard bed, with a one piece driveshaft. I really need to fix this, as it's my main transportation right now. Hit me up if you have one, measurements would be  great too, if you have one, so I can double check to make sure it's the right one.

Thanks...

• Like 1

I look at the photo you posted of the plates, they are both exactly the same, they look like the same side, now if one shock went forward, and one backward, then the plates in the photo you posted would work.

See how my plates are different, see how one has to be upside down to point the same way as the other one, if I flip mine over and keep the shock mount at the bottom in the photo, it will point the other way, not like yours where they are both pointing the same way.

DSCN2194.JPG

The plates in the top photo came off a 720 4x4.  I pulled a set of plates like in the bottom picture off a 76 610 Wagon and will use these on my 66 520 that has the 1980 720 chassis under it.

I haven't been on here in forever, but this old rat is still tearing up the roads, but the driveshaft needs replaced. I can no longer buy the replacement and the U-Joints are "staked in" making them non-replaceable. Does anyone on here have a GOOD driveshaft they want to sell? This truck is the standard cab, standard bed, with a one piece driveshaft. I really need to fix this, as it's my main transportation right now. Hit me up if you have one, measurements would be great too, if you have one, so I can double check to make sure it's the right one.

Thanks...

I have a standard cab standard bed driveline but it's a two piece with the carrier bearing. It's all there and complete, u joints seem good. Could definitely be replaced if needed.

• 3 weeks later...