Ugly, Rusted, and Rotten... Probably should of been forgotten... a.k.a. "Rusty" the 720 International pick-up

I'll upload pics later today, I just got this computer, but I figured I'd put the story on here and then upload the pics tonight.

Anyways...

I'm sure lots of you have called about a vehicle for sale or seen a car and told the owner "Save my name and number and let me know if you decide to sell it later"... Well, back in late June or early July I was lurking around on Craigslist and came across a listing for a rusty, low mileage, one owner Datsun 720 truck. I called the number in the listing and the owner told me the truck had been in the family since it was new and that although it was really rusted, it actually only has 120,000 original miles on it and it runs like a top. He told me he had just gotten the clutch replaced and that it would easily pass the state inspection. He then told me that although the listing on Craigslist is still active, he had a buyer that had already looked at the truck and was supposedly on the way to pick it up with cash in hand.

I was mildly disappointed, but I told the guy "Do me a favor... Call and let me know if the guy shows up or not, because I am pretty interested." Then I asked him " Could you do me one better, and write my name and number on a piece of paper and toss it in the glove box and tell the guy that buys it, that if he decides to sell it to give me a call first."

The seller said he would do so. Later that night the guy called me and told me he did as I asked, but the truck was sold and gone.

Fast forward to last Friday....

I was at work eating lunch and my phone rings. Some guy is calling me saying that he bought some truck a few months ago and was told to call me if he decided to sell it. I had no idea who it was or what truck it was yet (I leave notes on Datsuns pretty often). Then the guy starting describing the truck and everything clicked. The guy that bought it decided that the truck was too old for him and that the rusty floors would allow to much cold air into the truck when winter gets here, so he wanted to sell it and give me the first shot at buying it.

I went and looked at the rusty beast on Sunday and bought it and I KNOW I OVERPAID, but I just couldn't pass it up. This rusty p.o.s. runs and drives so smooth I couldn't believe it. It's hard to believe, but this thing drives almost like a brand new vehicle. The steering feels crisp and tight, the engine runs cool and smooth, and it really rides great. The only thing I did notice is that there is some mild slop in the shifter, but nothing major. Soooooo... I'm the "proud" 3rd owner of this fugly duckling.

This truck is WAAAAAAAY to rusted and rotten to restore, but I figure I'll flat black the sides to hide the rust a little and patch up the floors as best as I can (they're pretty much gone/missing :rofl: ). Plans are to basically just drive the wheels off of this thing and keep it alive as long as I can. I may build a rat rod out of it as some point, but for now it's just gonna be a driver. I may lower it though, as I already have some 3" blocks somewhere that I can throw under it.

That's pretty much it, just keep in mind I bought this to just drive and it really is not a resto project.

I'll post up the pics tonight :w00t:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Requested.... :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

DSC01439_zpsc7cbc7ce.jpg

DSC01440_zps65a559e1.jpg

DSC01441_zpsd142fea1.jpg

My temporary license plates expire on Halloween! How fitting is that? :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

DSC01442_zps6133e0b2.jpg

DSC01443_zps0b328aac.jpg

HOLY FLOORBOARDS BATMAN!!!!

DSC01444_zps88592914.jpg

L20B engine :thumbup:

DSC01445_zps13603fa8.jpg

That's about it for now, I gotta work on those er' Floors, or lack there of...

I hope that pleases everyone :)

• Like 2

yay pics looks good just clean the floors up before you fall through and Drive it 

Yeah, I hear ya. Those are by far the worst floors I've ever seen. The floor under the seat looks practically like new, but everything under your feet is GONE! The drivers side has a fancy plywood floorboard repair. :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I have a perfect, dent free, pristine 1986 CAMARO hood sitting in my garage... NEW FLOOR MATERIAL :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  Bite me Chevy guys :w00t:  

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, it has a factory tach that actually works perfectly. B) I didn't realize it till I took it for a little cruise a few minutes ago. I didn't know those came in the base model 720 trucks.

It has the narrow front bumper, it's kinda rare to find a good one, if you ever decide to change that bumper to a later model one or the 4 inch thick one because you cannot find another one, I would like to buy the plastic front corner pieces please.

BTW, it's body drop time!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Half the floor boards are already out, and it would look so cool.

• Like 1

It has the narrow front bumper, it's kinda rare to find a good one, if you ever decide to change that bumper to a later model one or the 4 inch thick one because you cannot find another one, I would like to buy the plastic front corner pieces please.

BTW, it's body drop time!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Half the floor boards are already out, and it would look so cool.

Will do, and thanx for the info. This bumper is pretty beat up, but those end pieces are in pretty good shape. If I do a bumper swap, I'll make sure your the first to know.

I have only seen one good/almost perfect one since I bought my first 720, and it is now one my only 720 I have left, I did find another one that is in fairly good shape, but one of the corners is missing and it is slightly bent on that side.

I think that this is the best front end on the 720 when the grill is a chrome one, but others will argue that point.

DSCN0830.jpg

• Like 1

dude, that 720 is AWESOME! I WANT IT!

Perfect match for my 620. exited too see the outcome! Time to Follow a new topic(which should make you feel special. i'm only following like 3 posts)

Post a pic of yours ;)
  • Like 1

Nevermind... Just scored some seats :) They're brand new, the guy bought em' to put in his "mud truck" and never installed em' and sold em' on craigslist for 200 bucks, complete with rails and hardware!

Pics coming soon.... Cuz I know.... If there's no pics it didn't happen.

• Like 1

Quick question... How do I close those fresh air vents by the door? I get outside air coming through them even with the heater on.

more carpet 

I once took a z apart that had multiple layers of stuff over almost non existent floors 

1 carpet 

2 fiberglass roof panel

3 floor mats

4 more carpet

5 more carpet  

1 Camaro Hood....

DSC01450_zps2361df9c.jpg

1 Big hole in the passenger floor with lots of rust....

DSC01448_zps2b1072df.jpg

I cut out the rest of the rusty hole that was a floor...

DSC01449_zps747cdfb9.jpg

I Cut out a patch panel from the Camaro hood and welded it in place. (yeah, yeah, my welding sucks ass, but it 's in there securely)

DSC01451_zps06a92a91.jpg

I bought a can of this crap to seal it all up.

DSC01452_zps853c4466.jpg

Then I sealed it all up...

DSC01453_zps67841f08.jpg

That's what I got done today, I'm planning to work on the drivers side on Wednesday,  but here's a pic of the seats I got off of Craigslist. I think they'll be awesome in the truck.

DSC01454_zps5a2d974e.jpg

What ya' think? It looks good enough for the girls I bring home. Lollzzz :rofl:

Post a pic of yours ;)

As per Request

SDC11209.jpg

Not the most recent pic, but it has only gone downhill from here. notice in the sides of the bed, and the corner of the engine bay by the hood hinge is pretty gone, that goes for my battery tray as well, and i Lack floors. put my foot through just last week.