datsun 510 l20. Looking for Turbo kit for it

Troy Fodor

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a point of reference, if youre not familiar with the basic necessities of whats needed for a turbo install, youre probably not ready for a turbo. More parts to install, more parts to fail, shit get pricey... 

You will want to do tons of research before attempting this. You wont get all your answers in this thread... there is a plethora of valuable info already present on sites out there. Just google NA to Turbo and read up. 

so i have a 71 Datsun 510 with L20b 5speed. i want to put a Turbo kit on it. i want to either build or buy a kit. can someone help me figure out wat to do. 

i have 280 pistons, cam.

so what would i need to do if i wanted to Put tht on my Car?

Just as a point of reference, if youre not familiar with the basic necessities of whats needed for a turbo install, youre probably not ready for a turbo. More parts to install, more parts to fail, shit get pricey... 

You will want to do tons of research before attempting this. You wont get all your answers in this thread... there is a plethora of valuable info already present on sites out there. Just google NA to Turbo and read up.

You asked for a turbo kit but fail to mention if you want draw through or blow through. If you have to ask you don't know and are not ready for this. Research turbo charging for a few months. Read up on similar builds and what was needed and expense.

Get this book and read it cover to cover a couple times.

t_MaximumBoost.jpg

Thanks micro... this is a perfect read for those wishing to get into forced induction.

Draw through, blow through, or convert to EFI. Like the guys said, do a LOT of research before you do ANYTHING. If you want to be able to tune it, you'll want to go EFI. With no disrespect to the seller, those carbed kits were great 25 years ago, but there's a lot more out there to chose from now.....not as far as L20 setups, but as far as turbo choice, tuning, mounting, waste gates, blow off valves, etc. You'd be best off building your own setup, if you have the skills to fabricate. To do it right you'll also want an intercooler, which is another thing to think about. Read up on the subject, for a few months, and then make an informed decision.

If you don't do you home work for a Turbo setup you motor will go south in a heart beat. I know guys who are very good mechanics and very knowledgeable and built L series Turbos to only see them break things for reasons there still baffled about.

• 3 years later...