Has anyone gone from sunroof to stock?

pondking

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the easiest thing would be to just replace with another sunroof.. but if you were set of filling it... take out the roof, flange the edge with a flange tool. Get the sheet metal that is same thickness as the roof and cut to fit. stitch weld it in... filler filler filler or lead. Prep and paint.

That's how would do think about doing it. I'm not even close to an expert on auto body work though..

Since you have a sun/moon roof now, your head liner is screwed up anyway, and you will need a new one, so if you are sure you want to fill it, I would find another 510 roof, cut a piece out about an inch bigger than the hole your trying to fill, then remove the sun/moon roof, cut the headliner back or better yet, completely remove it.

Now take the donor piece and stick it up on the roof from the inside of the car and have someone use a felt pen to draw a line on the donor piece all the way around the hole, this line has to be stripped of all paint till you have bare metal, you also need to strip the sun/moon roof hole edge of paint also, you have to have clean bare metal all the way around the hole.

Now you need to cover everything inside of the car with something that cannot catch fire, and tarps will catch fire, it would actually be better to remove the entire interior.

Now you have someone with welding gloves on hold the piece up in position, while someone with a welder tacks the piece in position, do not try welding, you only tack sheet metal, otherwise it will WARP, you must tack it, then move 4 inches, tack it, move 4 inches, ect, ect, ect, once you get all the way around, then you tack it between each weld all the way around, then you start to skip gaps, you don't want to tack any closer than 4 inches apart, so you keep going around over and over tacking every 4 inches till the welds almost touch each other like in the photo below.

DSCN0105.JPG

The reason I tell you to put the piece on from the inside is that it will take less filler to fix it, you can put it on the way I did in the photo above, but you will never get the correct curve of a stock roof, also the new headliner will hide the extra metal on the inside.

This is going to be hard to believe, but I have a mini cooper, I was talking to a shop that works on British cars, he told me that when panels are replaced on mini coopers these days, and they are uni-bodies, that instead of welding them in, they are now gluing them into position, this actually kinda freaks me out, but if you look into it, and I would look very hard myself, there might be a chance that you could glue the new panel into position, they use some kind of special epoxy, I would cover all the bases before going this route, as you don't want to go through all this work just to have that panel fall out someday, but the mini coopers are gluing in structural parts, so that epoxy must be some awesome stuff.

I hope this all makes sense to you, it likely would be easier just to buy a new sun/moon roof if yours is leaking, if it's not leaking................

• Like 1

my friend had this problem on his 240 and he welded.

i thought that was the most work in the world though. especially on a 240sx.

try rockign a sunroof?

give it a bit to grow a liking to?

if otherwise take it off later

Sun roofs are fucking terrible things.

I am so busy screwing with mine that I missed this thread!!!!

Cut that bitch out and weld that bitch shut.

What prevented me from going this route was that the headliner is held up with listing wires, Unless you have a sun roof, then it is glued and held with one listing wire in the back, and I didnt want to have to fabricate the hooks for the 7 listing wires on the hard top. Then finding the original map light that only came in Deluxe and Diesel models is another headache.

Having said that, if I were to do this again, I would weld the bitch shut, theres just too many parts.

Honda makes it way easier, you just order a new roof skin and headliner, drill out the roofline welds, hit her with a head gun and voila!. Weld the new one in place, slap some body sealer in it and your done.

Also:

Sun Roof = Solid metal top

Moon Roof= Glass see through top.

• 7 months later...

my friend had this problem on his 240 and he welded.

i thought that was the most work in the world though. especially on a 240sx.

try rockign a sunroof?

give it a bit to grow a liking to?

if otherwise take it off later

That's the reason I waited for my dealer to locate a 240SX that didn't have a factory or, even worse. a dealer installed sun roof.  And the extra bonus was a extra half inch of head room!

Sunroofs suck. But now mine works awesome. But it took a lot of work and hundreds of hours to restore all the parts.

I would have just welded it shut and called it a day, do the body work, make headliner mounts and such, make a headliner, ect.

Welding the entire top of the car back on is gonna be way more of a pain in the ass, IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...