Roadster springs on a 411...

sreams

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the standard height suspension I have the model and part numbers for Sears lifetime warranty gas loaded shocks, front and back. They provide good correction from stiff sidewall 82% cross section bias ply tires that were 411 standards and modern softer sidewall 80% cross section radial tires.   I don't know if a 2 inch drop would compromise the shock absorber action.  Erich would most likely have that info.  I use 80% cross section radial tires to keep speedometer calibration almost spot on.

a 2 inch drop would be ok on the shocks. with arm length and shock ratio etc the shock only moves about half of what the wheel does, maybe less. i know stock length shocks will allow you to compress the arm to the crossmemeber up against the bumpstop mount, with no bumpstop installed and dont bottom out.... yes i drove my 411 like this for a few days lol. so there is no need to change out shocks for length, just for ride quality 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being a sissy, I looked on KYB shocks specifications page and I will subtract the amount I lower the vehicle from the stock shock height, must think before posting...

It's not 1:1. If the compressed height of the spring (and thus the shock) drops by 1", the ride height of the car drops by more than 1". Keep that in mind when choosing a shock.

• Like 1

Looks great! I'm thinking about getting the competition springs for my 410 wagon. Wondering if anybody would chime in with the optimal shock to use with a 2 inch drop? Going to hit up Just Joel for custom lowering blocks. Thinking ill use air shocks for the back...

or you could just go to autozone and but the 2 inch lowering block kit for the $35.....

• 4 months later...

I tried using Roadster springs in my 411, but decided they were way too soft. Instead I found a second set of stock 411 coils and cut about 1.5 coils off of them. This gave me the same drop as the roadster springs but a better spring rate.

As for shocks, I used KYB Gas-a-Just #KG4513, which are listed for Chevelle, El CAmino, Monte Carlo. These worked pretty well, but I wanted more shock so I switched to Doesch Tech Nitro Slammer shocks and am really happy with the setup.

I tried using Roadster springs in my 411, but decided they were way too soft. Instead I found a second set of stock 411 coils and cut about 1.5 coils off of them. This gave me the same drop as the roadster springs but a better spring rate.

As for shocks, I used KYB Gas-a-Just #KG4513, which are listed for Chevelle, El CAmino, Monte Carlo. These worked pretty well, but I wanted more shock so I switched to Doesch Tech Nitro Slammer shocks and am really happy with the setup.

Thanks for the information... I was researching the shocks today.

Regards,