HOW TO: Replace Hose Drain on Wagon Hatch

russaroll

Do you own a wagon?

If so you probably noticed the two vents on the rear gate.

510_125_1_vga1_zpsfa2ed9c0.png

They are drains and you should fix them because, you don't want water and leaves falling inside the hatch and rotting out the bottom. 

Also, If you are curious like me, you probably stuck your fingers in the holes and wondered where the hose went.

Chances are they rotted, shrank, or just were never there when you bought the car.  

If you want to replace the hoses, and don't want to scour the internet looking for a place that has "factory hoses" then just do what i did.

1.  Head down to the hardware store and pick up two 1 foot pieces of 5\8 clear hose.  (You know, the kind you make beer bongs with.)

20130925_171551_zps6be8cf29.jpg

2.  Soak in in some HOT water (approx 15min) to make it more pliable.  You will need to do this because the nipples on the vents are just a bit smaller than the hose.

d52cc134-c68e-40dc-bcfa-feaa11235b7e_zps

20130925_173402_zpse11463c3.jpg

3.  After you get it over the nipple, pull the remainder through the hole and trim off the excess.  Make sure it conforms to the hole, you don't want it all folded over inside there.  

20130925_173305_zpsd9408fe1.jpg

20130925_173407_zps67f42ed6.jpg

...and your done

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If air comes in the heater or front vents it has to get out or you would have a sealed box. The front of the car is higher pressure than the back so vents are provided to let air out. The 510 sedan has chromed ones on the sail? on either side of the rear window.

• 6 months later...

So I was working in rear hatch putting on weather strip and those vents. From the looks of it those hatch vents are totally venting exterior. Those vents dont pass any air from interior to exterior cabin and vicr versa.

So what is it really for besides just draining water?

Also, I may need the inteior funnel portion.

So I was working in rear hatch putting on weather strip and those vents. From the looks of it those hatch vents are totally venting exterior. Those vents take in nor pull air from interior cabin.

So what is it really for besides just draining water?

Also, I may need the inteior funnel portion.

I have the interior funnel parts for you.

If air comes in the heater or front vents it has to get out or you would have a sealed box. The front of the car is higher pressure than the back so vents are provided to let air out. The 510 sedan has chromed ones on the sail? on either side of the rear window.

Those vents are part of the 510 flow through ventilation system - allows for fresh air even with all windows rolled up.

See the 510 wagon owners manual.

yup what they said...... & 620's put the on the cab rear pillar & later they moved them to behind the kick panels. 

The PO of my wagon shaved them.. I don't think it will make that much difference unless you make the car air tight. Mine is only driven in nice weather so it is probably ok. If you drive in rainy or wet conditions, you may have issues with the windows fogging up if you shave the vents.

• 4 weeks later...

The PO of my wagon shaved them.. I don't think it will make that much difference unless you make the car air tight. Mine is only driven in nice weather so it is probably ok. If you drive in rainy or wet conditions, you may have issues with the windows fogging up if you shave the vents.

I just Didn't want stuff getting in there rotting, creating rust or body rot.

• 3 months later...