73240z

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

So, A little bit of an update on the build. Almost a year ago now, I picked up a used transmission out of a G37. The 6MT found in the 370z and G37 is the JK41A or B and the JK40C. I think the one I have is an A. This trans is very similar to the very sought after CD009, with the only major differences being a redesigned input shaft (bearing is slightly different), a concentric slave (which is a known failure point), and a helical cut reverse gear. There were some issues with the first iteration of the rev matching in these transmissions, but I won't be running that anyway. The gearing is nearly identical to the CD009, and the syncros are all upgraded. Now that the history lesson is out of the way, here's the breakdown on what I got. 

I found this transmission on CL after a lot of searching for a steal. It didn't have the lines for the slave cyl. or the shift linkage, but neither of those were an issue for me. I plan on running a Z speed performance conversion to a traditional throwout/slave, and I would need to make a custom linkage anyway. The catch was that I was told 5th and 6th gear were gone. At the price I was getting this for I figured I could pop it open and replace a few syncros or even a gear or two if needed and still be ahead.

So I snatched it up, and it has been sitting in my garage since. This past weekend I had some time to open it up, and I couldn't be happier. Before disassembling anything I grabbed the shift rod with some vise-grips and rowed through the gears. I wanted to know if I was dealing with any shift fork issues. Everything seemed alright, except fifth and sixth had a distinct clunk, and didn't feel like they were engaging. After getting everything apart and set on the bench I didn't notice anything obviously wrong right away. I messed with it more and finally found that the shift lever for 5th and 6th had cracked at the mount causing it to miss the striking rod and not do anything. A quick search online, and this part is only $20! So I ordered some gaskets, the part, and a few seals and this trans will be going back together all cleaned up for about a fifth of what they go for used. The syncros also look barely touched, and there were no other signs of abuse. 

Linkage Video

Edited by 73240z
Link
  • Like 1

Engine is going together now. Have had most of the parts for the refresh sitting. Cleaning everything up with Evaporust, and polished the crank journals. Won't win any awards for cleanest engine internals, but it's miles better than it was.

Parts are on order for the transmission fix. Here's the culprit.

EQUv87g.jpg

This has apparently been replaced by an updated part. Hopefully it won't suffer the same fate.

8VD2K4s.jpg

MdQZ67e.jpg

Conveniently numbered main caps.

yCcNmyR.jpg

VRVdc37.jpg

It's crazy that this engine has forged internals, steel main caps, SIX bolt mains with studs, and a girdle from the factory. Talk about over built!

I've been doing some reading, and it appears that the sump from a 4.6 ford may fit with some modification. I may pick one up and cut the flanges off the stock tanks to see if I can work something out. Then I need a dip stick, and to lengthen the oil pickup. 

Ordered the rear subframe conversion from Apex Engineered, and will be sending my rear struts back to T3 to swap casings, and get the backing plates I will need for the R32 rear end conversion. 

Hope to keep some more regular updates!

• Like 2

Well, waiting on some parts to show up, and been cleaning and organizing the garage after taking the wall down. Space is 30x40 and P.O. of the house had the back blocked off for a wood shop.  Still need to do a lot of moving around parts and trying to set everything up where I like it. 

Sr1es6c.jpg

2KFWQJp.jpg

It is significantly cleaner in there now just no oics. 

Since I have ADHD, and I unboxed my Z-trix subtle Z rear panels I figured it would be a good time to place those on the car and plan out the cuts. Although this side looks okay, the amount of bondo on the arch means it isn't worth saving. I am super impressed with the quality of the stuff from Z-trix!

ys9ghtR.jpg

aUL7xRb.jpg

68WNm1S.jpg

Need to consult with some of the composites techs that I work with about the best way to bond these on. I am thinking a 1 in bonding area should be effecient.

oXkVYus.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

An update! Got all the parts I needed for the transmission to go back together.

TxSf9sP.jpg

WfDbmZm.jpg

Cleaned everything up and reassemble the trans with new seals and gaskets.

WVEU9Oj.jpg

JWmAw6V.jpg

Nice of Nissan to pre-grease these.

BTW, I have been really impressed with Evaporust!

RXnoOU0.jpg

I wasted a TON of time trying to get the front half of the case on. Could not for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't seat any farther than this.

3GEWjZs.jpg

Then I remembered that the lower bearing goes on after the case, and not before. I had placed it on the shaft to prevent losing/ dropping it.....

Z6kDYUw.jpg

With that sorted, everything got sealed up and re-installed.

yvFez1Q.jpg

Next after soaking for a bit, I got the hardware for the engine cleaned up and reinstalled.

R64V75I.jpg

zWtBsRK.jpg

Everything is torqued up, and I am ready to move on to the pistons and rods.

Also had this finally show up!

N9Wdvt0.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I guess I could post in here once every year or so....

I’ve been slowly collecting parts, and planning out my garage to get everything moving on this car finally. It’s likely that I’ll have quite a few things for sale as plans change and different parts are now available.

D4A6E316-A37D-480F-A348-EAB1568FA2E8.thumb.jpeg.df9a1b7025b226689cb9948b731da04a.jpeg

Here’s just a few of the parts collected for this build.

I am waiting on the rear backing plates and strut tubes from T3 which will get used with my Apex Engineered rear end, axles are on their way. I have a clutch and flywheel for the transmission along with a Concentric slave delete from Z1. That should all bolt up to the Collins adapter and be set for the VH45. I got some body panels from KF Vintage, and will likely sell the Tabco panels I don’t need, since I will be using the Z-trix subtle z quarters. My floors aren’t as bad as I thought they might be, so I can likely just patch small holes rather than full replacement. Same with the rockers.

I also discovered that the R32 Skyline front knuckles bolt directly to the stock LCAs and tie rods. I need to take some measurements, and talk to a friend about welding with these but it may be possible to make a custom McPherson setup with the R32 front.

This will give me 5 lug and the brake upgrade fairly easily.  

799010F7-D3C4-44AD-8B46-01603758A39A.thumb.jpeg.7948facd63b568219af0059a52becd04.jpeg

Also on my list of parts to offload

-T3 Front & rear strut tubes for stock Z strut layout.

-L28 long block

-stock 240z suspension and brakes

-Appliance mesh wheels with tires and center caps

-Apex engineered rear conversion plates. 
-Stock R32/Z32 rear subframe assy (less diff, axles, brakes) 

-Set of floor pans

Does anyone know if windshields are still available? Mine got cracked.

• 73240z changed the title to PerZerverance: A stalled Z project.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got what I needed to complete the Z1 CSC delete install. Really nice kit! Will need to be adjusted on the car, so some things are temp installed.

77255082-0918-495B-BECB-EC2B6BB59DCE.thumb.jpeg.5c2712410eebdd2a66ff064a62c4a178.jpeg

A3114D93-9718-43FF-A5BB-FCA1498D7797.thumb.jpeg.7df1ddedaed587f310db23a4fe62510b.jpeg

I got the trans mount from Apex, and finally got my axles!! I’ll get the short lock together, and then mate the trans to check fit, and start on engine mounts. 

• 2 weeks later...