Resurection & 1st Drive

difrangia

Semi Noob here in Oklahoma. I've been in the group for bout four months and have learned a helluva lot form you guys. I've gained priceless knowledge regards the '78 620 that I picked up last Spring and also picked up a few sorely needed parts to get this little honey back on the road. I've known this 'Lil Hustler' since she was new. Neighbor down the street bought her new and died about 25 years ago. His widdow kept her around, using occasionally for yard work and storing under the carport. She's now in her 90's ( the lady, not the pickup ) and still works in her yard.

Long story short, the pickup became available and I had to have her. The owner had let her son (probably in his 70's now) off & on. Either the lady or her son had jumped a rocker off and bent a valve and she'd set for a good while in the carport. I moved her the block to my carport, determined the ailment she suffered from, and commenced the teardown. I got her fired up early this last week and went for the first drive today. odo shows 55,4xx miles and she drives like it. No rattles, bumps, grinds or lurches. Want to thank you all again for the help you've given. I'll be needing a few more items in getting her back to top shape.

Oh Yeah;   The Oics!!!

1stDriveRF_zpsc0a01278.jpg

Haven't even dusted the carport dust off her yet

1stDriveLF_zpsaa5dd9e4.jpg1stDriveRR_zpsbcdb3454.jpg

Look at the tail on that'n

1stDriveInterior_zps8561f9a8.jpg

Initially thought I'd get rid of that 'Trucker's Knob' on the steering wheel, but I'm havin' second thoughts after a short drive.

EngineRoomDriverSide_zps7afa5dd8.jpg

Let's check in on the ol' engine room.

EngineRoomPassSide_zps1d5e8ee4.jpg

Still a bit of polishing and paint touch-up but a lot has been accomplished. cleaned up and polished the inner fender wells. Gotta work on the cowl, radiator, and header a bit.

GoodCompany_zps526db033.jpg

After a drive or two she's back in the carport & keepin good company. Sidled up with a German and an Italian here. Dammit that's a long bed.

More to come as the project advances.

• Like 2
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Japanese truck, German and Italian cars... you have the axis! Lol I have a 59 beetle and always joke that I need a vespa to round out my axis of evil.

Looks good!

Funny U should mention. I've got two Vespas in the shop. One's a nice orig late 1980's T5-MK1. If Ur firmiliar with Vespas, you know that is the little screamer with five induction ports. I've owned Vespas off-&-on since 1960. God personally helped design Vespas; My opinion.

I love the scooters and small bikes but I don't ride two wheelers any more. Lost the right foot on a 200cc Yamaha scooter in 1999 to a Lincoln Town Car. Bit that sucker right off. Way too many zombies out there driving around on the cell.

Spent an hour & a half polishing up the paint on the longbed today. She had been parked in a carport for ages and the paint was chalked a bit on the passenger side, tailgate, & hood which was exposed to the south. Liberal use of the electric polisher, much elbow grease, and a squirt or two of Jameson Irish whisky later, she came out looking pretty good. Snapped a few oics.

PolishedRF2_zpsced33b23.jpg

PolishedLF_zps54c4994e.jpg

PolishedLR_zpsb0cd6978.jpg

PolishedTailgateOpen_zps50420df2.jpg

Damn that bed goes on forever. The original owner had a Bullhide liner sprayed in the bed right after he bought the 620 and it had faded to brown over the years. Still some red left here and there in small splotches. The Bullhide sticker is even still in the left rear corner.

PolishedBullhideTag_zps969e71ae.jpg

OK, so nearly everything has to have a downside. Here it is with this little puppy. Hail damage. Worst I've ever seen. It's pretty much confined to the top of the fenders, hood, top, and cowl vent panel. I'll probably be listing for or watching here for some of the parts to replace and get rid of the hail damage. The top and possibly the fender tops could be righted with a super light coat of plastic. She runs, rides, and drives tight and quiet. Just needs a few miles to get her oiled and limbered up. Here's the hail damage. It's so heavy and even, it almost looks factory.

PolishedHailtopampHood_zps7c0e5bfd.jpg

More to come as she comes back to life.

Great looking truck, I might be inclined to leave the hail damage and just drive it. :D

I do intend to enjoy the lil' red headed Hustler for a bit as-is. I'll make some improvements as I enjoy.There are a number of small items and some cosmetics that I'll be tending to. I'll also be on the lookout for front sheetmetal for future replacement.

Again, I want to thank all the rat-members that have helped me thus far. I have been through German and Italian machinery over the past few decades and with the exception of a 70's Toyota Tercel that one of the daughter had and several Ford Festivas (Korean Kia Prides) this is my first sampling of far-east machinery. Think I'm gonna really enjoy this trip.

Steve