Your First Datsun? What was it? When was it?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my first Datsun when i was 13 as a father daughter activity, i spend every pay i get on my Datsun b310 its a bit difficult to restore a car when you are 17 especially when you get minimum wage.

Awesome, you will reap the benefits of your diligence. Is your father experienced in car building?

First Datsun was my first car, well actually it was my first car to drive with a license. Got a ticket about 15 minutes after I got it. It had 4 or 5 different motors over it's life, countless suspensions, transmissions, etc. In it's best iteration it was a nice street car that was competent on the track. Final motor was a 2200 with Mikuni 44's on a Nissan Comp long runner intake. Made 210hp on the dyno on pump gas. It was '65 Mustang blue.

Years after I sold it, the new owner brought it back to me to be completely gone through, but it was too late for that poor car. It was literally coming apart at the seams. We ditched the body tub and started fresh.

I have the license plate hanging on my shop wall.

Baby_Blue_510_small_zps396a80d7.jpg

My first Datsun was a 1967 Datsun 1600 roadster, it was supposed to be a runner, but it was broken, 3rd gear was only used once on the way home, I thought it had exploded when I let out the clutch after putting it in 3rd, it was kinda ugly in primer looking brown, I have photos, but all are 35mm.

I paid $1200.00 for it, that was too much for it having a bad tranny, but I made it look nice and daily drove it for years as a hangglider rig.

1967%2520datsun%2520roadster%2520002.jpg

1967%2520datsun%2520roadster%2520003.jpg

1967%2520datsun%2520roadster.jpg

I guess I don't have any recent photos of it, poor thing just sits in the garage. :(

It's had 3 engines, the R16 it came with which I rebuilt and likely put 50,000 to a 100,000 miles on it, then it had a used U20 for a while till I found a rebuilt U20 on craigslist, it has that now, it has maybe 5000 miles on that motor, maybe. 

I need to get a devise that I can transfer the negative images to my computer, but I have not heard of any good results from any of the ones I have found so far, they all complain about color issues and such, I have thousands of interesting photos.

• Like 3

I started kinda late on Datsuns, I could not afford anything else at the time, I wanted a 1969 Triumph spitfire like I had when I was 21, and I didn't want, nor could I afford a big car like a 1967 Malibu convertible, so I went for the little Datsun convertible, sure had a lot of fun with it over the years.

I can't believe you still have your first Datsun, Wayno.

I guess I don't get too attached to cars.

Funny that I bought a 1947 Chevy truck about a year or two before the roadster, it had a Chevy 350/TH350, I drove that as the work truck for years until the price of gas went over $3.00 a gallon, I just could not afford to daily drive it anymore, I sold it last April, I don't miss it at all, I thought I would, but I don't.

• Like 2

I started kinda late on Datsuns, I could not afford anything else at the time, I wanted a 1969 Triumph spitfire like I had when I was 21, and I didn't want, nor could I afford a big car like a 1967 Malibu convertible, so I went for the little Datsun convertible, sure had a lot of fun with it over the years.

Funny that I bought a 1947 Chevy truck about a year or two before the roadster, it had a Chevy 350/TH350, I drove that as the work truck for years until the price of gas went over $3.00 a gallon, I just could not afford to daily drive it anymore, I sold it last April, I don't miss it at all, I thought I would, but I don't.

My '74 Chevy dually with a 454 was my favorite truck, by far, but the horsepower to mileage ratio just didn't make sense.

1974_Chevy_Ebay005_zpscb62ca0c.jpg

Poor mileage just takes the fun out of it after a while, either your always empty, or you always seem to be at the gas pump, that is why I have a Datsun truck.

I guess I had a small Ford Ranger before the datsun, what a shitty truck that was, it got poor gas mileage because I was always floored, what a POS that truck was.

I guess that the 521 I bought was not that great either with that L16 engine it had, but I upgraded to the L20b, that was an alright engine, I beat the shit out of that engine for 15 years before retiring it, I upgraded to an LZ23, what a great engine it has been so far, I get shitty mileage hauling that trailer around every day, but if I dump the trailer I can get 23+. :)

My '74 Chevy dually with a 454 was my favorite truck, by far, but the horsepower to mileage ratio just didn't make sense.

1974_Chevy_Ebay005_zpscb62ca0c.jpg

although I might not like putting fuel in my beast it is one of three trucks that I have had that can do this 

a 2000 f350 diesel a 2006 f350 diesel and this a 2008 f350 diesel 

photobucket-5583-1394264280836_zpsb0503e

this is a 36 foot long beam going for a 3 hour trip to the job 

photobucket-9200-1394264268297_zpsdb2206

photobucket-11273-1396408466098_zps2f862

back on track 

this is my wifes first datsun 

photobucket-1060-1396243206310_zpsff581b

IMG_20140420_141111_520_zpstuy9pubb.jpg

IMG_20140607_075655_901_zps6nh3pyuz.jpg

• Like 1

Reminds me of the first time I went and loaded up my trailer with green oak that fell on a frind's property in Placerville. After I got home, I figured the load weighed about 8,000 lbs.

That 36' beam must have weighed a bunch.

it was a bit heavy 

good thing I beefed up the bed , the stock f350 beds are weak 

I got some keystone wall blocks on a trailer one time, 5 palates I decided to only take 4 and come back for the last one because from a CHP point of view it would look dangerous and to heavy 

the load of 4 palates was 12000 LBS plus the 3000 LB trailer I didnt want to push my luck to far  

• Like 1

First vehicle was an 86 Bronco II 4x4 with 90k on it, brought down from PA, in pristine condition, minus the rusty undercarrage, of course....
that thing is amazingly durable. lived through two weeks with no tranny fluid, towing a LWB tahoe,(and thus blowing a trans) and multiple collisions, losing a wheel while backing, and 25k later it still lives. 

first datsun was a black/white 77 b210 with yellow vinyl stripes down the sides, which i payed way too much for. it turns out it was rust free,and i enjoyed it for almost a year. turns out some people at home didn't like it so much, and when i came back from being out of town for two months, it had been traded for an 86 SI Hatch, as a "christmas present" 

after much debauchery, i hunted down the origins of the SI, and implored that the PO trade back, as it turns out the little red bastard child had a snapped front axle and an overly expensive fuel pump, and i just wanted my car back.

no go. car gets traded for a C10, and the chase continues.

track down the B again, to find it out in the middle of don't-even-have-a-post-office-land, and ask the new(est) owner if i can trek out to see it.
he obliges, and i arrive at his house to discover a hidden trove of treasures, classic yamaha bikes, F-bodies, and a convertible C10 among other things. turns out he bought the B for his son, so that they could share a project. after some deliberation,i decide that it'd be better off there. i told him that if it survives the next three years, I will return for it, and for now, it still lives. one year down. two to go.

Well, I bought my first datsun on the day of 11/24/14, I went down to California to pick it up and towed it back up to oregon. We, were a couple minutes away from medford when the 510's passenger side tire blew out! We lost control, hit some land on the side of the road and rolled over. Surprisingly, the 510 that we were towing was fine! I'm surprised we made it, as soon as we were gonna hit I thought to my self "I guess this is the end." But I guess it wasn't lol, My dad's land rover was completely trashed but we were glad we made it out fine!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My first first was a '72 240z in 1986. I drove it for a few months till the subframe broke and traded it for a Ford EXP.

I picked up 'Z number 2 - a 1975 280 just before my son was born in '89. I sold it for "diaper money".

In '92 I divorced the wife but gained Datsun #3 - my "mid-life crisis-mobile" - a 1971 JCR "California Z".

I'm not sure if my "crisis" is over, but I still have the '71. My 3 boys are already making claims on the car when I die...

68898_10152181235602785_149258659_n.jpg?