Blown RL411 engine

Datsun Dude

Thanks for sharing this - just the type of inspiration folks need to keep working on the ones not-quite-road-worthy (mine included)!  Any recent updates?

Also, would you share the spec's on your Panasports and tires; widths, diameter, and wheel offset?  They're perfect in my opinion.

Thanks again,

Jason

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/15/2020 at 12:57 PM, Datsun Dude said:

I have part numbers for 2 aftermarket hoses that can be combined to duplicate the function and appearance of the engine block to intake manifold pre heat hose [to the right of the radiator cap in this photo] if you are interested.  PM or request part numbers as reply to this post.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Update on "Hikari," my Datsun RL411 SSS. Still going strong.

I updated some steering parts and many of the suspension parts: koni shocks, lower ball joints. Still needs tie rods and a drag link. I can find the tie rods but not sure what the hell I'm going to do about a new drag link. They are unobtanium. Perhaps I can pull a better one from a donor car. The new shocks make the ride around these crazy San Francisco streets and my Bay Area road trips a little easier. 

I'd like to replace the sway bar links and all the bushings around the sway bar. A lot of rattle going on when I turn the car to the far left and right as I back the car out of the drive way. Still need to address window rattle too, it still drives me insane.

I have six weeks off work soon, so I hope to finally have the time to work on it a bit. My crazy dream is to drive the car coast to coast. I don't think many people have done that!

Edited by Datsun Dude
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

She's having some bad rattle issues now, so I had someone come over to the house to look at it.

Cooling system: Turns out my water pump is broken. WHAT? That thing is supposed to be new. Looks like it was a poorly welded together rebuild job. It's not NOS at all. Well that sucks. I certainly paid the price for a NOS one. 

Fortunately, I have a line on a NOS water pump that will fit and won't cost me a mint. I've already test fitted it. It's an equally rare part coming from the smog version of the R16, but it will work, apparently.

I should have it installed back into the Bluebird in a week or two. Doing some minor clean up and prepping the reinstallation. At least I'll finally have that rare water pump that should last for some years.

Suspension: I'm seeking a drag link to complete my suspension rebuild. Turns out this is yet another rare part. I might have to find one on a vehicle that is parting out. If anyone here knows of or has a drag link, please let me know!

Water pump from a roadster will fit and function BUT you must pull the fan wheel off the new pump and replace it with the one from the old water pump.  the resulting assembly will look scary with the pump shaft sticking out about an inch [hope you have good engine mounts].  Roadster pumps are more readily available than RL411 water pumps but not too common.  Good luck!  New pumps will almost certainly have stamped impellers not cast iron. That"s the sorry truth.

On 7/27/2022 at 3:31 PM, MikeRL411 said:

Water pump from a roadster will fit and function BUT you must pull the fan wheel off the new pump and replace it with the one from the old water pump.

Thanks, Mike. It's on there now. She's a runner again! 🙂

Will you be at JCCS this year? Hope so, as I hope to make it this time.

• 4 months later...

Crazy rattle noise is not suspension at all! Turns out it is my exhaust that is making all the noise. There are these 2 big ass bushings that hold the pipe to the frame on either side of the drive line on the body. Know 'em? Both of these were toast. I had one built out and now am going to build another.

I stupidly got an oil change at one of those oil change outlets. They put my drain plug back in crooked. It's leaking oil pretty badly now. I am trying to fix that now.

I am going to recore the radiator to attack cooling issues I am having.

Still need to get window channel felt to fix the rattle.

Still looking for the RH Outer Tie Rod to complete my suspension build.

Someone snagged Tana's last one. You snooze, you lose. 😞

If you can help, let me know.

That should keep me busy for a while.

D.D.

Edited by Datsun Dude

Oil drain plug - If you have gross thread disruption get a Ford 18 mm sparkplug repair kit and drill out and install the spark plug repair in the oil pan,  Must be Ford. it has a flat mating surface other makes have a tapered spark plug mating surface; Buy a Toyota drain plug in 18mm and install, Use a good synthetic rubber gasket. [I cement the gasket to the oil pan with Permatex sealant to be sure. Bill the idiot oil change for the parts' You will need this repair since no SAE semi-finished helicoil inserts exist to my search to date.  This is essentially a non-tapered pipe thread.

Cooling - Leave the heater on,  It's a built-in auxiliary rabiator.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Thanks, Mike. I got Mike Young to help me get the oil drain plug out of there and placed back in properly. He says it's not an original 411 oil drain plug, so that may have been the reason why the tire shop guys screwed it up. I'll be doing the job myself moving forward, but with much greater care.

My next problem is to fix the speedometer. The cable seems intact but the plastic pinion gear is likely worn. Not sure where the hell I would find another. John Lorio says to get a GPS rebuild from Jon Frampton. Neely also said to do a GPS rig. Not sure which route to go right now.

I'm also going to try and fix the window channel felt. My windows are rattling so badly that it's driving me bats. 

I am also looking to get the radiator recored for more long distance hauls, perhaps another trip from San Francisco to Williams, AZ in the Fall. We shall see!

Always something!! Many little projects left. Overall, it is running well.

11 hours ago, Datsun Dude said:

My next problem is to fix the speedometer. The cable seems intact but the plastic pinion gear is likely worn. Not sure where the hell I would find another. John Lorio says to get a GPS rebuild from Jon Frampton. Neely also said to do a GPS rig. Not sure which route to go right now.

I own John Lorio's former 411 and it has the GPS speedo. I have not had any issues with it since October of '21 when I acquired it.

• Like 1
On 5/21/2023 at 4:35 AM, KELMO said:

I own John Lorio's former 411 and it has the GPS speedo. I have not had any issues with it since October of '21 when I acquired it.

Oh, you own the SSS now? I thought he still had it. Very cool. Or do you own his 410? Maybe he's sold both? I don't know how to get ahold of Jon Frampton. Hopefully someone can chime in. Does it work with the odometer too? Hope you are enjoying the Datsun!

Yes, the SSS.

I'll try and reach out to Lorio over the next few days and see if he has Frampton's contact info.

Will try and get a pic of the speedo today.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, KELMO said:

Yes, the SSS.

I'll try and reach out to Lorio over the next few days and see if he has Frampton's contact info.

Will try and get a pic of the speedo today.

I talked to Lorio over Facebook and he said that Frampton is only available via PM on the 311.org site. He also said you were a great guy and a big fan of the SSS. I hope we can meet at some point. Perhaps at the Route 66 JDM show. I want to go again this year and drive the car all the way there as I did before, or trailer if if I can afford it.

Yes! Pix would be cool. I hope the odometer could function again too. Thanks for reaching out!

10 hours ago, Datsun Dude said:

He also said you were a great guy

I probably paid him to say that.

10 hours ago, Datsun Dude said:

I hope we can meet at some point. Perhaps at the Route 66 JDM show.

I have been to that show every year since it started so the odds are good. Not sure what we are bringinq this year. Last year was the SSS, the year before was the grey 1200 since it was at the very first show (10 year anniversary of the show and what not). This year if the 510 wagon is done, it goes. If not either the SSS or the green 1200.

Oh, before I forget...

x0bEO4J.jpg

MA0MDyb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Update: Unfortunately, the car started running poorly a few weeks ago. It looks like a head gasket issue. it might have to do with the head not being retorqued after the rebuild. I'm investigating the issue now, and planning on taking action soon. I'm going to need a little help on this one.

Generally head gaskets don't need a re-torque. Gaskets and engines have come a long way since the 50s. If the gasket blew I would look at the head not being smooth and warp free as it should be OR it was overheated and now is warped. Anyhow when the head is off check with straight edge and  feeler gauges. Generally 0.004" is the maximum allowable.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2024 at 9:36 PM, datzenmike said:

Generally head gaskets don't need a re-torque. Gaskets and engines have come a long way since the 50s. If the gasket blew I would look at the head not being smooth and warp free as it should be OR it was overheated and now is warped. Anyhow when the head is off check with straight edge and  feeler gauges. Generally 0.004" is the maximum allowable.

Driver's handbook [glove box edition] recommends retorque.

• Like 1
On 9/26/2021 at 11:03 AM, MikeRL411 said:

I have part numbers for 2 aftermarket hoses that can be combined to duplicate the function and appearance of the engine block to intake manifold pre heat hose [to the right of the radiator cap in this photo] if you are interested.  PM or request part numbers as reply to this post.

Hi Mike, can I get those part numbers? Trying to tidy up the engine bay. Thanks!

I have investigated the issue, and testing has not indicated a head gasket issue. I am so grateful for that. The lack of power was due to the car running on only three cylinders. Most plugs were fouled, and the rotor was worn. Those were replaced along with a new cap and the proper wires. It is back to running like a bat out of hell.

To test, I took it up to Twin Peaks on a hill-climbing test. Found some admirers of the car up there. Good times. Glad to be back in action.

Thanks for the messages of encouragement.

Datsun 411 at Twin Peaks.jpg

Edited by Datsun Dude
On 2/16/2024 at 5:04 PM, MikeRL411 said:

Driver's handbook [glove box edition] recommends retorque.

Yes probably does way back 57 years ago. If you have a '67 gasket then sure and you can with today's gaskets if you want, just don't have to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 5:17 AM, KELMO said:

Datsun Dude, is this your car?

yofm9BM.jpg

Yes, it is. I'm trying to figure out where you took this. Williams, AZ?

Yes, Williams. Across the street from Rod's Steakhouse (West). Not sure what year it was but am pretty sure Rod's was still open.

At least the Wiliams part of the above is correct, the rest may be a bit foggy...maybe.🤪