121 replies to this topic

#121 MikeRL411

MikeRL411

78 'n counting...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,501 posts
  • Cars:67RL411, 90 240SX, 97J30T

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:25 PM

"New" leak is most probably a rust through on the lower exhaust pipe section from the lower right angle bend to the pre muffle / resonator.  Go to a muffler shop and have them fabricate and weld in a replacement section from the right angle bend [which should be OK, the moisture accumulates in the horizontal section of the tubing] and the horizontal section to the resonator.  Worked for me, and works to this day.The original down pipe with the "deformed" D shaped cross section is not available as a replacement, although some users on this forum have found an oval pipe that seems to work.

NO!  I am too lazy to do your search for this oval tube! I don"t need it and will not spend time which you should be using as a follow up.

Edited by MikeRL411, 08 February 2018 - 11:33 PM.

#122 Datsun Dude

Datsun Dude

• PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Cars:'67 Datsun RL411 - '67 Datsun PL411 - '71 Datsun 240Z - '93 Nissan 300ZX Slicktop

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

New exhaust leak was where there was no bracing for the weld connecting the downpipe and exhaust (as I understand it). The weld was fine, but simply snapped with no support. A new support was added and additional tweaking to the hanger for the muffler. It's back together now. 

I made some videos recently in vlog style. I hope to share those with the group very soon.