200 SX VIN decoding...Help?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last numbers are just a number for your car. Like the 3,527th one made. S110 is the '80-'83 200sx.  Isn't there an L somewhere before the S110? Like KPLS110XXXXX??  Sorry I had to leave for work and missed this post. I can easliy look up this when I get home.

"Normally" for what that's worth the last 6 are digits the serial number.  The first digit is zero for the first year of production and increments by one for each succeeding year of manufacture.  And, no, I don't know the first year of production.  The model year is usually on the fender or firewall tag.

"K" means Coupe  (hatchback).  "P" means uprate engine (no letter was a Z18, P is a Z20 for that particular model, USA only got Z20 engines).  It should have an "L" because that means Left Hand Drive, no letter is Right Hand Drive but there weren't any RHD 200SXs (they were 180SXs).   S110 is the chassis code, and xxxxxx is the sequential serial number.

That's all you can get from the VIN. 

Mike, I don't know about Canada but on US models, the specific codes after the Chassis designator NEVER show up in the VIN, or on the VIN tag in the US until the 17-digit VINs and the newer ID plates (the ones that list the transaxle, transmission, and final drive ratio, which didn't show up until 1981).  So the "FEU" would never appear in a pre-1981 data plate.  I've seen those codes show up as the model ID on later (1981+) models as the model type,

• 5 months later...

K = hatchback (no marker means hardtop)

P = Z20E motor

L = left hand drive

S110 = model

F = manual or A = automatic

E = EFI

U = federal or V California

Earlier Datsuns put a different slant to the code letters.  My 67 Datsun is, per the driver's handbook [and ordering] information, but not the nameplate, is a RL411UAK.  "R" in this case is a jump beyond the "P" for upgraded engine and coincidently matches up with the modified Roadster  "R" engine installed.  "L" is the standard left hand drive inducator.  "411" is obviously the parent vehicle designator. "U" is the North American standards [uSA and Canada] designator,  "A" is the designator for the Borg Warner automatic transmission, the standard transmission would have a "T".  "K" designates dual Hitachi "SU" carbs.  Same letters but different meanings as time progresses.  The station wagon would have a "W" prefix to all the above.

Yes, the prefix codes for engine are not specific, but depend on the model.

No code = base engine

N = normal engine

H = highline engine

P = premium engine

R = race/sport engine

The other prefix and suffix letters are are absolute and have not varied over the years. For example suffix U=USA model. Some years Canada got US-specs cars, and sometimes the USA model was sold worldwide as with the Datsun L320.