Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

I thought it handled pretty good but the title 'Awesome Sound' was sadly wrong and lackluster. Gearing was too low by the sound of it and could have gone up slightly I think but not so much it would smoke the tires out of turns.

• Like 3
  • Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even a well tuned KA can do better imo.

For hill climb racing the gearing is where its at, drop a set of lower gears in that thing and it will shoot up that hill.

I'm all for lighter is better, but a small block V8 isn't much more than a KA, and if its something like an all aluminum olds motor its a much smaller difference.

• Like 1

For hill climb racing the gearing is where its at, drop a set of lower gears in that thing and it will shoot up that hill.

I'm all for lighter is better, but a small block V8 isn't much more than a KA, and if its something like an all aluminum olds motor its a much smaller difference.

Some info on the weight difference between a KADE and an LS1 in a 1995 240sx chassis, an overall difference of 23# heavier dry weight with the LS.  I realize it's not a 510 but the weight comparison still seems relevant.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1412014-ka24de-240sx-s14-vs-ls1-240sx-s14-weight-difference-inside.html

Power to weight ratio is where your starting point if you're building a "fast" car, wether it's autocross or track, keep the dimes intact, I've seen killer 4 bangers generating crazy power, my brothers S2000 is insanely fast, granted he's got the CR, it handles like a race car and the acceleration is unbelievable.

Some info on the weight difference between a KADE and an LS1 in a 1995 240sx chassis, an overall difference of 23# heavier dry weight with the LS.  I realize it's not a 510 but the weight comparison still seems relevant.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1412014-ka24de-240sx-s14-vs-ls1-240sx-s14-weight-difference-inside.html

But the size of the ls1 would put more of the weight in front of the front wheels

So because probably 300hp 510 broke the tires loose in one corner that looked a little off camber and fairly tight paradime has concluded that an sr would embarrass it.

Wait a minute Q, you were the guy who climbed all over my shit for saying I'm not that concerned about the weight of my rims. Now you're saying having a 300hp 5.7L cast iron engine vs. an 300hp aluminum 2.0L engine wouldn't make a difference. Are you saying for the sake of this thread, power to weight means nothing? Watch the video Q and you'll see the car makes a lot of noise, but is lumbering around the track, and breaks loose more than once trying to get that extra weight moving. Now, go and watch a few videos of what an SR 510 can do on a track. Then we'll see who's embarrassed 

• Like 1

An SR long block weighs 260lbs, fully dressed DET with complete intake, exhaust, AND TRANNY tips in at 507lbs. 

Chevy 350 long block is 400lbs, fully dressed without tranny 575lbs. depending on the tranny add at least another 170lbs, then the subframe, beefier front suspension and rear end on that 510, what another 200lbs.... Yah, that wouldn't change the car's performance.

An SR long block weighs 260lbs, fully dressed DET with complete intake, exhaust, AND TRANNY tips in at 507lbs.

Chevy 350 long block is 400lbs, fully dressed without tranny 575lbs. depending on the tranny add at least another 170lbs, then the subframe, beefier front suspension and rear end on that 510, what another 200lbs.... Yah, that wouldn't change the car's performance.

#1 the rims thing was a total troll and it obviously worked.

#2 you missed the post where I asked why you would use a sbc, terrible choice for a 4 8 swap. You said it yourself, done right it would work. Ever seen a sunbeam tiger or and early ac cobra? The get down a track just fine and they don't weigh shit.

Less weight and more hp is what a racecar is made for and a v8 gets you glorious torque, you don't get that from an SR.

Try to understand what I type. I'm not saying that adding a v8 and the associated equipment to a small sedan like a 510 won't change its performance I'm saying that with the proper design it would work just as well if not better than an I4.

Wagging the tail!!! Thats what I call it, the kids call it drifting.

That's not drifting. There is only the slightest up rev of the engine on that long up hill right turn. The V8 is not at all singing. There's one or two very small woops on corners, but even an L16 powered car might do that if pushed hard enough. All in all it's hooked to the road pretty well.

• Like 1

A V8 is fine in a 510, provided it has a tube chassis and it's mounted almost at your feet in the cabin.  Or, like I always wanted to do, rear mount it in the back seat.  I wanted to do that with a Subaru drivetrain in the Maxima racecar too.  You'd definitely need a tube frame though.  As for that 510, I'm pretty sure my autocross Maxima could outdo that heavy lump up the hill.

#1 the rims thing was a total troll and it obviously worked.

#2 you missed the post where I asked why you would use a sbc, terrible choice for a 4 8 swap. You said it yourself, done right it would work. Ever seen a sunbeam tiger or and early ac cobra? The get down a track just fine and they don't weigh shit.

Less weight and more hp is what a racecar is made for and a v8 gets you glorious torque, you don't get that from an SR.

Try to understand what I type. I'm not saying that adding a v8 and the associated equipment to a small sedan like a 510 won't change its performance I'm saying that with the proper design it would work just as well if not better than an I4.

#1 your troll defense is lame.

#2 If you want people to understand what your typing throwing apples and oranges in all directions isn't helping. You missed the fact that the conversation is about THIS 510 with the 350 in it compared to an SR swap PERIOD. Not a Sunbeam tiger that suffered the same handling issues, or an AC Cobra with a MUCH larger wheel base.

#4 This V8 510 is not "less weight and more power", It's a shit load more weight, same HP, and way more torque than you could ever hope to lose, or use in a 510. Look at the first post I make and I said "Damn! They did a fine job on this one", and it's still not as fast as a lighter SR swap. How you managed to splinter off into "I'm saying that with the proper design it would work just as well if not better than an I4". I have no idea what an I4 is, but I know it's not the turbo SR vs the 350 we were talking about a minute ago. 

^^ that.

You yourself said its about power to weight, you can get more power out of a v8 than an I4. That being said, a sbc would be my last v8 choice for a swap in ANYTHING, not a good engine design and far more heavy than they need to be.

The 510 in that video was quite well put together, it does seem to be a bit lumbery but we don't see anything else on the course, perhaps it is just the way the a car looks running that course? Making your judgement of the car based on one video seems a bit unfair.

Another thing to consider is the type of course the car was built far may not be a good fit for a turbo charged I4, you said it yourself the SR lacks grunt.

• Like 1

And why would you use an ls1 anyway....

My bad, admittedly I never even watched the vid and in turn assumed (yes, I know what that means I made of myself) it was yet another LS swap since they seem to be all the rage.

Like you posted later, the old pushrod Chev is in general a poor choice for use in a swap, it didn't even cross my mind that's what was used in that 510.

My younger Brother (only brother) got married on the weekend,this was the wedding car (our cousins) and the Red Skyline next to it is my Bro's.

DSC_2818.jpg

DSC_2816.jpg

Isn't it a law over there that,,,   that car is supposed to be behind the bride and groom smoking the tires???  Where are those pics?

• Like 3