Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

fresh young greens make a good salad also. -

Fresh dandelion and bacon are a good dish also. New York city used to hold off on weed removal [in the 1930s] until city dwellers had picked first dandelion sprouts in order to get their first greens of spring, Fresh greens were almost impossible to find then in winter.

OK last night a brewed up some chicory 'coffee' and before adding the whitener asked my wife if she would like to give her opinion and she tried it and said "it tastes like coffee!!!" I tried it black and it does taste more like coffee than with whitener. I'm drinking some now with half the usual teaspoon full and it is a bit more like coffee. Will try even less next time. I can drink coffee black but don't care for it that way.

Walked farther down the highway from where I got the original chicory and Bonanza!!!!!! There's tons of it along the road and it's far enough out of town they don't mow the sides. I have an old shovel and I'm going to trim the blade down narrower but leave the top where the foot goes and it needs sharpening. It's hard to push a full width shovel through roadside gravel. Some of them are as tall as I am.

• Like 1
On 7/6/2023 at 9:02 AM, Crashtd420 said:

I think its ment to be mixed....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/chicory-coffee-mix-new-orleans-made-own-comes-180949950/

This is supposed to be the original blend...

Screenshot_20230706-095546_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.ab40870291ee780274422482e0257d6a.jpg

What we can buy in mass...

Screenshot_20230706-095417_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.4d11089fe1c66374bb272c6a1ec03897.jpg

I grew up going to Cafe Du Monde on the river side of the French Quarter all the time, I'd get a chocolate milk as a kid and beignets (the square fried pastry you put powdered sugar on). Later the coffee and chicory with some milk or cream it's pretty strong but you get used to it.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, edekalil said:

I grew up going to Cafe Du Monde on the river side of the French Quarter all the time, I'd get a chocolate milk as a kid and beignets (the square fryer pastry you put powdered sugar on). Later the coffee and chicory with some milk or cream it's pretty strong but you get used to it.

Only had the please of going there once on vacation... wife loves it there.....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Only had the please of going there once on vacation... wife loves it there.....

It was great back when I was growing up in the 60's,70's and 80's but now it's crazy people breaking in cars during sporting events every game or kids pulling guns on old lady's to get there suv and wreck it moments later. As well as homeless people living in tents all over and all behind where I work under the interstate. For sure not like the days when I was 14 going to the Warehouse to see bands for cheep and go all over without the crime there is today. I can't wait to retire next year.

• Like 2

Man I got addicted to the Cafe du monde beniets. Probably spelled that wrong but dough under a mound powdered sugar. Sweet crack. I haven't stopped there in nearly 10 years but I remember as time went on the staff became all Chinese. Getting Coonass food from the Chinese seemed a little odd.

• Like 1
On 7/9/2023 at 2:01 PM, edekalil said:

It was great back when I was growing up in the 60's,70's and 80's but now it's crazy people breaking in cars during sporting events every game or kids pulling guns on old lady's to get there suv and wreck it moments later. As well as homeless people living in tents all over and all behind where I work under the interstate. For sure not like the days when I was 14 going to the Warehouse to see bands for cheep and go all over without the crime there is today. I can't wait to retire next year.

Yep. One block off bourbon street and you would be safer in Bagdad. There is only one reason I would ever step foot in New Orleans again and that would be to go back to the WWII museum. I have been to a lot of Museums but this one has to be my favorite. Absolutely awsome!

• Like 2

Cut my spare POS shovel and dug up a 5 gallon pail of chicory root this morming. More on this later. No rain here is 2 months, ground is parched, lawn almost brown so won't take much to dry them. Thinking this would taste pretty good after a cold walk in the winter watching the rain outside the window while on Ratsun 

• Like 1

Car-B-Que.

Meanwhile, just a bird eating a mid morning snack in the neighborhood.

SEpg7pr.jpg

Didn't want to get much closer cuz well, that thing was eating something and I thought it a good idea not to piss it off.

• Like 2
On 7/10/2023 at 2:26 PM, bottomwatcher said:

Man I got addicted to the Cafe du monde beniets. Probably spelled that wrong but dough under a mound powdered sugar. Sweet crack. I haven't stopped there in nearly 10 years but I remember as time went on the staff became all Chinese. Getting Coonass food from the Chinese seemed a little odd.

Probably Vietnamese a lot came over in the mid 70's. But yeah I love beignets with that cafe au lait.

On 7/10/2023 at 6:16 PM, angliagt said:

"Coffee's strong at the Cafe DuMonde,donuts are too hot to touch"

Dude!!! This has been in my head for a week like an earwig! Like Tetris, it finally turned and locked into place. "The wino and I know." I'm a big fan.

• Like 1