Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bought another truck,& hopefully my last.I've been looking for another

Dodge Dakota that isn't a rust bucket,or worn out,since I moved here.I bought

one about 2-1/2 years ago,but has some rust in it,& have put more into it than

I paid for it,but I love that truck.

We went down to Roan Mountain,Tennessee (on the NC border) Saturday

& bought it,then drove back through NC to home.VERY scenic country - we hope

to go back there next year.

Anyway,it's a '94 with the 318 V8,automatic,4WD,heavy duty transmission

& rear end,virtually no rust,& only 75,000 miles.The people I bought it from got it

from the original owner who was retired,& kept it garaged,& only used it on weekends,

& to go antiquing with his wife.The bed doesn't even have visible scratches on it.

It's over 28 years old,& are near impossible to find in this part of the country

in this condition.I intend to try & take good care of it,but use it like a truck. 

Dodge Dakota #6 009.JPG

Dodge Dakota #6 008.JPG

Dodge Dakota #6 006.JPG

Dodge Dakota #6 007.JPG

• Like 2

A few more pictures.

The seller told me that the clutch pack in the rear end is bad.It has a vibration that is

at it's worst at 30-35 mph,but quiets down at freeway speeds.Does anyone know how

I would check to make sure that's the problem?

I'm going to have the wheels/tires & battery switched between the two,as I've 

recently spent a lot of money on replacing them.I also want to have the front & rear bumpers

switched,as the ones on the "old" truck are in better shape.The last picture is of the "old" truck.

I'll probably try & sell the bed cover after the Winter's over.

I'm excited about this,although nobody else probably isn't,but I have no life!

Dodge Dakota #6 012.JPG

Dodge Dakota #6 011.JPG

Dodge Dakota #6 010.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, angliagt said:

Bought another truck,& hopefully my last.I've been looking for another

Dodge Dakota that isn't a rust bucket,or worn out,since I moved here.I bought

one about 2-1/2 years ago,but has some rust in it,& have put more into it than

I paid for it,but I love that truck.

We went down to Roan Mountain,Tennessee (on the NC border) Saturday

& bought it,then drove back through NC to home.VERY scenic country - we hope

to go back there next year.

Anyway,it's a '94 with the 318 V8,automatic,4WD,heavy duty transmission

& rear end,virtually no rust,& only 75,000 miles.The people I bought it from got it

from the original owner who was retired,& kept it garaged,& only used it on weekends,

& to go antiquing with his wife.The bed doesn't even have visible scratches on it.

It's over 28 years old,& are near impossible to find in this part of the country

in this condition.I intend to try & take good care of it,but use it like a truck. 

Dodge Dakota #6 009.JPG

Dodge Dakota #6 008.JPG

Dodge Dakota #6 006.JPG

Dodge Dakota #6 007.JPG

Looks clean.  Mind me asking what you paid?

It has to be a novelty. It is virtually sitting on what looks like what would be the underground tanks. Those look a lot like fill ports on either side of that dispenser. It is also possible if those are underground storage tanks for fuel, they could be out of service and or closed.

That may be a novelty but 100 Octane pumps are not quite as rare as unicorns, found near where high powered expensive automobiles may be seen on a regular basis, this 76 Station has 101 octane at the pump 3010 Almaden Expressway, San Jose, CA

101 Octane.jpg

101 Octane II.jpg

Edited by Ooph!
  • Like 2

Petro Can stations have 94 and most have 91 if you look. The rest are up to 10% ethanol blend. Ethanol octane is around 114? so it brings very low octane fuel up to 87.

Octane is simply an additive that makes self ignition from heat of compression more difficult. It doesn't make the fuel more powerful but it allows higher compression engines to extract power from it more efficiently. It's not more explosive in fact it's less explosive.

• Like 1

This tells me that the compression of this engine is already getting all the work out of the 91 that it can and so increasing the octane is a waste of time, I agree. If the compression was increased to 11.5 and then 12.5 and even 13.5 the '91 would be almost impossible to run without reducing the timing (detonation) and thus the power. Here the higher octane gas (well one of them depending on if 11.5, 12.5, 13.5 ) would tame the detonation and make more power. Perhaps the  110 would do the trick and then the 116 and E85 would be a waste of time.

By using an engine with the same compression they have concluded that octane has no effect on power.... and it doesn't on that engine. Higher octane allows higher compression ratios and more efficient extraction of power. As they said at the end if your engine does not detonate on the gas you are using then running higher octane is a waste of time.

• Like 2

The pump in that picture is for leaded fuel.

I have a fuzzy memory from my early racing days of being able to get leaded fuel at California Speedway (circa 2008?) But they would not sell to you unless you had a certain type of car.  You can find those 76 Stations that sell race gas here and there.

We ran our sprint races on E85.  More compression / boost, more ignition timing, cooler burning, and more power than CA91.

We ran our endurance races on gasoline.  Stoich for E85 is 9.7:1 vs 14.7:1 for gasoline.  E85 makes for crappy mileage when you want to run longer.

• Like 1