Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I happened to catch an episode of the TV show "Hoarders" where a a guy

in Boulder Creek,CA (near Santa Cruz) was close to losing his property,due to all

the junk on it.He was ordered to remove/crush 60 of the vehicles on it.

It was sad to see that the first one to be crushed was a Datsun roadster.I

would've like to have seen someone get parts off of it,or get it to restore instead.

There was also a Celica Liftback ('77?) & a Subaru 360 on the property.

• Sad 3

I think I’ve seen more gold than that in my life, but I can’t prove it with pictures.

I was in a private residence once and went to lift the toilet seat in the primary suite. I was pretty strong back then, and I had to sling my rifle and lift with both hands, a straight back, and lift with my legs.  This principle was impossibly wealthy, and it was on my checklist to look for traps in the bathroom…  I’d guess it was 80 lbs or 36 kg.

Later I was in a “c vault” commonly used for valuables.  If I were to guess, I’d say there was more than 25m x 10m x 4m of gold in that one vault.  I didn’t see the rest of them, but there was more gold there.  

• Like 1
On 10/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, AtomChurch said:

I was reading awhile back that oil wells were "filling back up" after being drained. So where does that oil come from exactly?

During university I think about 2012 we were directed to a couple of studies on oil wells that were "drying/dried up" but another company bought them and after a slow down of production it then increased to about 60 or 70 percent of original peak periods even though the testing and studies indicated it should have been going the other way.

I believe when Mt St Helens blew they found coal being formed around 10years later??  Which was not the norm.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, RyanC said:

During university I think about 2012 we were directed to a couple of studies on oil wells that were "drying/dried up" but another company bought them and after a slow down of production it then increased to about 60 or 70 percent of original peak periods even though the testing and studies indicated it should have been going the other way.

I believe when Mt St Helens blew they found coal being formed around 10years later??  Which was not the norm.

While working in the energy sector 2015 until I was retired in 2020 I can confirm that previously dry wells in Northern Texas had been “refilled”.  I was at the Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant near Ft Worth and saw the reports from the US Department of Energy. I don’t remember the name of the wells though. 

I lived near Mt. St Helens growing up and have visited it many times. I’ve heard that parts of the mossy area around Spirit Lake were turned to coal.  I’ve not been able to personally validate this, although references to a geological study of the area published in 1996 state it’s true.  If I’m not sick again all next summer I’d like to attempt to find it again next year.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Soundline said:

I think I’ve seen more gold than that in my life, but I can’t prove it with pictures.

I was in a private residence once and went to lift the toilet seat in the primary suite. I was pretty strong back then, and I had to sling my rifle and lift with both hands, a straight back, and lift with my legs.  This principle was impossibly wealthy, and it was on my checklist to look for traps in the bathroom…  I’d guess it was 80 lbs or 36 kg.

Later I was in a “c vault” commonly used for valuables.  If I were to guess, I’d say there was more than 25m x 10m x 4m of gold in that one vault.  I didn’t see the rest of them, but there was more gold there.  

No chance of sticking that toilet seat in your pack? kind of like Kelly's Hero's

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, Ooph! said:

No chance of sticking that toilet seat in your pack? kind of like Kelly's Hero's

Ha, I would be an absolute liar if I said I didn’t think about it.  But, no, that country has a very ‘five finger’ policy regarding how it deals with normal thieves.  I know what has happened to other members of the royal family that were believed to have stolen things and suddenly my get rich quick scheme evaporated.  Considering I was an American I’m sure no one would have ever heard of me again.

The only thing in my travels I actually tried to “borrow” was a 1964 Land Rover IIA that I’d been loosely assigned while in a nice part of Africa.  The only one I’d ever driven that I really liked. It only stayed because my transportation situation to return to the US had to be… expedited. If I’m ever well enough to attend a meet, I do enjoy telling the story. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, RyanC said:

Not sure about oil but back in 1999 I was a mate on a siesmic "gunboat".  We towed pneumatic drums that simulated TNT explosions. There were hydrophones attached to buoys that recorded the returning shockwaves and they were able to determine how much gas was in a well. We were running through old abandoned wells and I asked what are we doing in these played out fields? One of techs told me the old wells were filling back up and we were the gas guage of the gulf of Mexico. Funny thing is this gas is trapped in giant underground salt domes. As the boat passed over the domes the guns got louder and louder rattling at the electronics and your teeth. It was a giant was slamming the boat with a giant sledge hammer. Also they actually drilled the gas from offshore then pipelines the gas to underground salt domes in Louisiana. Natural storage tanks.

Edited by bottomwatcher
Spelling
  • Like 1

A lot of trees around St. Helens would have been turned to charcoal under cover of ash where oxygen could not get at it. Someone saw this and not knowing any better said it was coal. This is how rumors get started.

As to wells re filling that can be explained by oil in surrounding area slowly oozing into the 'void' left by the removal of the original oil. Just like oil oozing down the side of a Datsun block.

• Haha 2

I actually reached out to a Geologist friend of mine last night who works at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, WA.  She confirmed there are minor coal deposits from the explosion created by the bark of the trees that float across the surface of Spirit Lake.  “Due to the mechanics of the blast and the water pressure some of the biomass has been converted to coal.”  She was a Park Ranger there and validated the paper from 1996.  “The USGS doesn’t include the coal deposits there on maps because it’s believed there is less than enough coal in the entire lake than would be required to heat a single home for a winter.” (USGS is United States Geological Survey)

There are other minor coal deposits in Lake Washington under the sunken forest there. About 1,100 years ago Seattle area had a magnitude 7.5 or greater earthquake that created the sunken forest and the pressure there did something similar.  

These two discoveries taught us a great deal about how coal can be formed by major natural disasters.

• Like 1

I hear what you're saying but what's the difference between coal (as we know it) and charcoal that is compressed. Probably look the same and could be called coal like. Real coal is defined as millions of years in the making just like there are diamonds and industrial diamonds made in the lab.

I’m pretty sure a geologist with a Masters Degree from University of Montana who works at one of the US Government National Laboratories knows how to identify coal.  Especially since she was specifically brought in to validate that 1996 paper. She wouldn’t be fooled by charcoal.

We can make coal in the lab based off theory.  We can make oil, as discussed earlier in the thread by a chemist.  Time is not a qualifier for mineral production under extreme circumstances.  The fact that coal can be produced in very limited quantities by some of the most destructive natural forces on earth, such as volcanic eruptions and major earthquakes isn’t an attack on anyones integrity here.  It’s simply new information to most people that aren’t geologists that specialize in national energy reserves.

• Like 2

Humf.... experts with degrees said the Columbia was safe to launch, that Y2K would end civilization, that cigarettes were safe and we need vaccinations for co-vid. 

Briquettes packaged properly could pass for coal. Soot, charcoal, it's all carbon.

Well the definition of coal invariably says that many millions of years are needed to produce it. Though charcoal (basically carbon, just like coal) recently compressed and heated by volcanic action may look just like coal, understandably indistinguishable perhaps, by definition it isn't 'coal' any more than industrial diamonds can be called diamonds from a mine. Perhaps it should be called new age coal, or holocene coal. I'll grant that perhaps coal is formed much more quickly and then just sits for millions of years rather than needing to sit for millions of years to form. Perhaps the definition of coal needs to be broadened.

Staying on topic, I texted her and she said you’re probably confused about the definitions being used since 2001.  The determinant for classification of coal is done by its chemical bonding structures between carbon isotopes.  You’re most likely thinking about anthracite. This is the highest form of coal which releases the greatest level of energy.   There is no requirement for age.  It is replicated in labs and shows “no discernible differences between naturally formed anthracite, even under an electron microscope or a mass spectrometer”.  Coal like this will take several months to create in the lab at PNNL.

The coal found at the bottom of Spirit Lake is sub-bituminous coal.  “It was created over a period of about ten minutes and was first detected in 1982.”  This tar like sub-bituminous coal is one of the lowest forms of coal.  it provides limited energy per ton, however is used as a fuel source due to its lower sulfur content which limits acid rain.   I’ll including the chemical structure of bituminous coals to show you that they are substantially chemically different from charcoal.  Charcoal and diamonds in their purest forms have a carbon only formula. 

036A585B-7CEE-45BA-B608-3886FFF9AE64.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well thanks for mentioning sulfer. I guess I forgot I was on another tanker. This one was an articulated tug and barge. The tug was attached to the barge by hydraulic pins in the bow that grabbed a bar on the stern of the barge and pads that came off the side of the tug to wingdams on the barge. Strange arrangement and motion at sea. Upper wheelhouse was like a lighthouse with an internal spiral staircase. We carried molten sulfer that had to be kept above 265 degrees to pump. The barge had 2 large insulated cargo tanks with a boiler onboard that heated thermal oil to keep the product at temp. I liked the route Tampa to Coatzacolcas Mexico. I was there nearly 3 years but the Wife always said I came home smelling like a rotten fart and my seabag was banned from entering the house. It was a residual from the refining process. We took to a fertilizer plant in tampa where they used it as fuel to power the plant. The gases were trapped in a water scrubber system where sulfuric acid could be produced and the ash went to the gypsum plant for making drywall. Crazy how all these chemicals are extracted and reused.

• Like 2

So here's a couple of cream puffs. A 2010 liberty old lady driven always garage kept 79k miles. A 2020 jeep grand Cherokee old man driven always garage kept. Both only flooded in saltwater once! Headed for the scrap heap. I had to manually put thier trans in nuetral to get them out of the garage. Sadly the 73 thing my parents have had from new has suffered the same fate.

20221013_220534.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
7 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I would think the thing could be saved. Suburban jeeps...not so much

Agreed.  Dry the Thing out.  Not much electrical to go bad there.  Guy I knew who ran a body shop showed me flooded cars ECUs.  All green and corroded inside.  Same thing would happen to the wire harnesses, especially from the salt.

• Like 1