Daily Randomness.........Back to Randomness........................................

• Replies 25.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VFR800

• datzenmike

• q-tip

• hobospyder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I used to be one too.

Back in the last century, when you actually had to put a quarter in the machine to play a game.🤪

At this thing they called an arcade, usually found at a shopping mall or Putt Putt Golf. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The window lickers in Atlanta are back at it again. Some ding-dong's decided it would be fun to shoot fireworks off of the roof of a building and burned down a massive apartment complex.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/massive-apartment-building-fire-in-lavista-park-burns-more-than-8-hours

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, metalmonkey47 said:

The window lickers in Atlanta are back at it again. Some ding-dong's decided it would be fun to shoot fireworks off of the roof of a building and burned down a massive apartment complex.

The Transportation Dept in California (CalTrans) lets people lease lots directly under the freeway system.  One company was storing wooden pallets under the freeway which caught fire, and the I-10 and is now closed through downtown for an undetermined amount of time.  I-10 is one of the main arteries through Los Angeles.

The Leesee wasn't paying their rent, and was illegally sub-letting it out.  And (of course) they are now saying it was arson.

Considering a freeway can be badly damaged by a fire underneath it, who in their right mind leases that yard out to someone to store wooden pallets?  This happened over the weekend and traffic is fucked sideways.  I'm lucky I don't really need to go to LA very often anymore.

Edited by Duncan
14 hours ago, Duncan said:

The Transportation Dept in California (CalTrans) lets people lease lots directly under the freeway system.  One company was storing wooden pallets under the freeway which caught fire, and the I-10 and is now closed through downtown for an undetermined amount of time.  I-10 is one of the main arteries through Los Angeles.

The Leesee wasn't paying their rent, and was illegally sub-letting it out.  And (of course) they are now saying it was arson.

Considering a freeway can be badly damaged by a fire underneath it, who in their right mind leases that yard out to someone to store wooden pallets?  This happened over the weekend and traffic is fucked sideways.  I'm lucky I don't really need to go to LA very often anymore.

I was thinking the same thing, and/or that it was a homeless encampment. Same thing on a smaller scale happened in Santa Barbara with someone starting a warming fire in a culvert under the freeway. It caused like a million in damage as they had to repair the freeway. The fire starter unalived himself with the fumes

Because I dont understand electricity(the info gets lost in my head), let me ax a question.

Vehicle comes with a 95 amp alternator and is bad.  No one rebuilds them anywhere close to me.  Rebuilds online are stupid expensive in my opinion.  I can get used oem 80 amp ones all day long for a fair price.  

I know more is gooder but any reason not to rock this way?

11 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Because I dont understand electricity(the info gets lost in my head), let me ax a question.

Vehicle comes with a 95 amp alternator and is bad.  No one rebuilds them anywhere close to me.  Rebuilds online are stupid expensive in my opinion.  I can get used oem 80 amp ones all day long for a fair price.  

I know more is gooder but any reason not to rock this way?

Depends on the demand.  Manufacturers probably don't put in alts with excessive headroom, so it may be a problem if you have all systems at max at some point (wipers, defrost (a/c fans), blower, headlights, etc).  Alternators don't put out full rated power at idle, so the 95A alt may be that rating to have sufficient current at idle...

12 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Depends on the demand.  Manufacturers probably don't put in alts with excessive headroom, so it may be a problem if you have all systems at max at some point (wipers, defrost (a/c fans), blower, headlights, etc).  Alternators don't put out full rated power at idle, so the 95A alt may be that rating to have sufficient current at idle...

Damn.  Not what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear.  Thank you

My theory is EFI vehicles need a steady battery voltage that a high output alternator supplies. As in stopped and idling with headlights (high beam) and wipers on with the heater on full, as in a bad storm. Do that in a Datsun and the headlights dim and brighten with the flasher but no harm done. My dad's Plymouth Sundance idle would falter slightly when the electric fan would come on.

Yes, too much alternator output is just right. My 50 amp 710 alternator I replaced with a 100 amp from a 2002 Altima. The output wire from it was thicker than my positive battery cable!!!

• Like 1

The would run at maximum if battery was dead and you got a boost. Even with all accessories on it wouldn't hit max.

As to LED headlights I think they are the same wattage it's just that they are more efficient and make more light. (I think) HID are this way. LED are not sorted out yet and for good brightness and beam pattern, which is critical, you need to spend $200 per lamp. The internet/Amazon is full of bullshit lumen ratings, total BS.

Vehicle is a 98 odyssey.  I have wanted to buy a nice example of one for 5 years.  I like the idea of no sliders and not being so gd big.  The 4cyl helps with fuel economy as well.  I will drive it till I get tired of it and move on.  Cant keep them all.  Not good for vehicles or homes to set unused.  Or genitals as I told the exwife.  I didnt like the idea of someone buying it to move children around and it failing from a undersize alt.  Funny thing is the pull a part here has had one of them or a oasis for the last 3 fucking years.  None available after I buy one.

A reman popped up on rock this morning.  I got it and have crossed my digits that it wont be junk.  I could not find brushes for it or a voltage reg that would be less than the cost of it shipped.  No core on this one as well.  Could possibly just put the functioning parts back in the oem one if I feel froggy.  Bearings are fine on it.

On 11/17/2023 at 2:53 PM, datzenmike said:

As to LED headlights I think they are the same wattage it's just that they are more efficient and make more light. (I think) HID are this way. LED are not sorted out yet and for good brightness and beam pattern, which is critical, you need to spend $200 per lamp. 

LEDs do draw less amps, which is usually a good thing. 

The aftermarket HIDs do as well, but most of the drop-in "HID" bulbs you buy are actually just flourescent bulbs that mimic the look of HID. But, they still draw less amps than incandescents do. 

• Like 1

Yup, I think you're right. LEDs are way more efficient. My HIDs are rated at 55 watts so about the same as stock. HIDs have a very central light source so much easier to focus. LEDs are much larger and/or several points. Either should be used with a proper projector lens that produces a razor sharp cut off for on coming traffic. Just putting LED or HID in a regular H4 reflector produces a spray of light 4 or 5 times brighter. I hate those cheap conversions. They are like driving into oncoming traffic with high beams on.

For my $.02 worth of anecdote. A buddy bought a "Plug & Play LED conversion kit" with OEM style sealed beam glass housing back when they cost $800 (how $400). They were bright as advertised, but super twisty, with a flickering error indicators every time his cooling fan came on. Turns out they don't tolerate voltage fluctuation of any kind. Adding a $239 high quality in/out voltage regulator cleared it up, but still has reliability issues.

While the look isn't for everyone, I got my little HID projectors for $75 each with a dedicated fuse, relay, and wiring kit for under $400. Its gone 8 yrs with no issues.