The Harlequin 510 AKA "Gumby"

Just picked this bad boy up today. Does anyone know the history behind it? I'd love to know who built and raced it. It has an old SCCA sticker in the window.

Pretty sure it was a rally car judging by the cage, size of stickers that were removed and the massive amount of body damage.

It has an L series with twin Solex side drafts and it must have been a cheater cause the numbers look to be shaved off the block. It is a tall block so it might be a LZ hybrid? Even with the old gas and badly needing a tuneup, she still loves to rev.

photo_zpsece1d6b3.jpg

photo_zps8605a6e1.jpg

photo_zps74b5ca8a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before it started raining cats and dogs I got under the car and looked around. The diff is locked, not sure if a LSD or welded. I'll have to conduct some field tests.  :w00t:  Also looks like the passenger rear control arm is bent. At first I thought the spring was seated wrong or something but it looks like one of the many crashes wiped out the arm. Anyone local have a spare?

Also noticed a big oil cooler tucked behind the grill. :ninja:  Bonus!

When I picked it up basically nothing electrical worked so I messed around with it today and replaced the all the fuses since 4 out of 8 were burned out. Wipers started working right away and taillights started intermittently. The fuse box was kinda nasty so I gave it a vinegar soak tonight for a few hours. It looks super clean now, I hope it helps.

New trailing arm and speedo cluster are on the way. She'll be on the road/track in no time! :w00t:

• Like 2

And then there was light! The clean fuse box helped. I had to take the headlight switch apart and glue the plastic slider together and put some fresh electrical grease in there. Now it works like it should. Running lights, tails and turn signals are good. High beams are still MIA. I'll tackle that later.

photo2_zpsf67fbe7a.jpg

photo1_zpsa9813563.jpg

• Like 1

I wanna race it. I'm too scared to race my white car. If I stuff this one I won't feel bad. Going to see if I can get it together quick enough to hit an autocross at Bremerton raceway or maybe even drift it out at Packwood in a few weeks. :w00t:  I always said drifting was a stupid sport but when I watch those videos it just looks so fun! Plus I have a buddy with a very built 300zx turbo that is always up to hit a drift event, so I have to give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Took this bad boy to the open drift in Packwood at the abandoned Hampton Mill on Sunday.

photo_zpsbd94f87f.jpg

Had tons of fun even though I was terrible and the car was nowhere near set up right. It ran great the whole day before the clutch hydraulics gave out. Turns out this car was on the drift scene back in the day. A bunch of guys came up to me to say they knew the car or one of it's many previous owners. A bunch of guys said it was named Gumby because of the green and orange.

gumby_zps6c2f5a8e.jpg

Before making the trip I needed to replace a bent trailing arm. Did some horse trading with Datdoug for the stuff I needed. Thanks for coming through Doug! I had just enough time to put things back together right before I had to hit the road. 

I had so much fun with this beater that I think I'll keep it around a while and try my hand at some more open drift events. Plans are: Fuel cell, to fix the massive fuel leaks in the trunk (was literally pouring gas out of the rust holes in the trunk). Budget coilovers and camber plates. Hydraulic drift brake. New Clutch.