• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9754394796_6be8dc9242_b.jpg

This one is of when it was towed and dropped at my folks house also before

I revealed all the trouble spots with a pressure washer

just the common ones from what I've read around the front windshield and a peculiar

spot on the floor where the gas pedal attaches that's the only visible rust for the floors pics of that on Tuesday

By the way does everyone else's carb look like this?

9754164191_45c847a7a6_b.jpg

It didn't match any diagram that I could find similar, but not a match.

A nice candidate for a build. Straight panels make this a winner!

Yeah... it seems like a lot of the '73s wind up with really denty front ends after 40 years - I guess this one has been helped out by being kept out of circulation for 22 years. I'm curious to see what it will look like after the paint gets a bit of attention.

9754394796_b3def9cbd9_b.jpgThis one is of when it was towed and dropped at my folks house also beforeI revealed all the trouble spots with a pressure washerjust the common ones from what I've read around the front windshield and a peculiarspot on the floor where the gas pedal attaches that's the only visible rust for the floors pics of that on TuesdayBy the way does everyone else's carb look like this?9754164191_45c847a7a6_b.jpgIt didn't match any diagram that I could find similar, but not a match.

. That carb will end up better than new if you strip it down completely and put all metal parts in carburetor acid. I did that. Forget about carb rebuild shops. All they do is change the so called "rebuild kit" which is nonsense. That is like giving a person with kidney stones a "warm bath" hoping it will cure the stone problem.

Purchase a can of carburetor cleaning chemical . It comes with a metal screen trY where you put all metal only ( no plastic nor rubber parts) and dip them for a few hours. No gunk nor scum can survive it.

It is not difficult at all, only dilligent and time consuming. take notes and photos of your disassembly and after cleaning reassemble following carb diagram. Chilton book has an excellent diagram..

If you have the bucks, go for a Weber . But if you want to preserve your Hitachi, rest assured you can do it.

Yea I preserved the hitachi it just looks trange to me I dont know what the jet over the primary is for ill have more pic tomorrow as for the paint im thinking clean and clear coat over it like patina and just black out within the chrome around the windows

Yeah, when rebuilding carbs, I stopped dunking the carb body in the Chem-Dip.  The problem I found, is that the throttle shaft wears slowly over time, but as it wears, it varnishes up, creating a bit of a seal.  When you Chem-Dip the carb body, it washes away that varnish, causing a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft.  At that point the only way to fix the leak is either to drill out the carb body and put bushings in there, or put an oversized throttle shaft in the carb body.

Now, if I have a carb that needs to be rebuilt, I dip all the metal parts, except the carb body.  I just use the sprayable Carb-Cleaner on the body, and in the ports.  That's been working well for me.

If only that was for the oil but its one of two added transmission coolers im not sure but im thinking the one in the radiator may be clogged and for the pedal the rods still there ill just use my heal to plug the hole

• Like 1