2g Talon Tsi

Well lets hope I don't get flamed with this dsm as well. Basically all stock with the exception of a cone filter and fart cannon, auto, t25 turbo fwd. This things a beast is the only turbo car I've ever actually owned or driven. This is my new daily, my last 1g gs keeps killing trannies and I've been needing a more reliable daily, this thing is damn near silent all the time, even with the cannon.

Plan is to put some conquest wheels on it, fix windshield wiper issue, remove bad tint, and drive as is, I ripped the spoiler off the back recently cause its cracked everywhere, not sure if I'm just gonna shave it off or fix it and put it back on.

IMAG1994_zps245622b3.jpgIMAG1996_zps0521c3ab.jpg

• Like 10
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, I've owned several dsm's, there basically the only cars I've ever driven, wheel spin is always an issue at launch, not sometimes, always. Can't corner as hard as I want either because the front starts sliding, thats partially do to the fact that I have cheap ass new tires in front, but I think even with good tires the front would start sliding, not as soon, but it would happen. haven't had any issues with torque steer or anything though. But in any case I'm actually glad its fwd, if it were awd it would of been out of my price range. As an honest question though whats the advantage to fwd? 

edit: I suppose stuff will start sliding basically no matter what though if your cornering hard enough.

At least its a 4G and a 420a. You can swap it to AWD later if you so desire. 

I might if money allows, its a daily though. I hate that its lowered though, its now dropped much and I make it over speed bumps alright, but pulling out of any drive way with a slope scrape my exhaust and bumper, actually broke that bumper yesterday, gonna fix it and see if someone local will trade a 2g eclipse bumper for it, don't like this talon bumper to much.

Not really, I've owned several dsm's, there basically the only cars I've ever driven, wheel spin is always an issue at launch, not sometimes, always. Can't corner as hard as I want either because the front starts sliding, thats partially do to the fact that I have cheap ass new tires in front, but I think even with good tires the front would start sliding, not as soon, but it would happen. haven't had any issues with torque steer or anything though. But in any case I'm actually glad its fwd, if it were awd it would of been out of my price range. As an honest question though whats the advantage to fwd? 

Hes been blabbing about FWD in some of the other threads... I dont know if hes ever driven a FWD DSM, but they are nowhere near that nice. Youre spot on with your description. Its not a terrible car for sure, but the DSM FWD is bad enough that if you mix it with a 420a its a car I would never own. Terrible power and terrible handling. 

[...] gonna fix it and see if someone local will trade a 2g eclipse bumper for it, don't like this talon bumper to much.

Nooooooooo.... Talons are where its at. Everyone tries to convert them to Eclipses :(

Hes been blabbing about FWD in some of the other threads... I dont know if hes ever driven a FWD DSM, but they are nowhere near that nice. Youre spot on with your description. Its not a terrible car for sure, but the DSM FWD is bad enough that if you mix it with a 420a its a car I would never own. Terrible power and terrible handling. 

Nooooooooo.... Talons are where its at. Everyone tries to convert them to Eclipses :(

Funny, around here its the other way around. I might keep this bumper if I can keep from braking it, I really don't like the stock sideskirts either, its got that crazy big twist.

One of these days Ill pick up another one... Ive had 7 total between Eclipses, Talons, and one Laser. My next project is an Eclipse Spyder converted to a Talon and AWD. 

dont forget to do 5 ft of widebody.... lulz

synchro, dont ruin this one.... i personlly love the talon body work and the thumbnail spoiler behind the window....

Ruin? Ch' that 1g is in perfect shape. Anyway I would never make this car wider then it is, I actually like the stock bodies on these cars, can't find a way to make it look any better. But for shits and gigs, I did try my whale tail on it, didn't fit of course but I got enough for a good mach up, will put that up later maybe, anyway yeah this is just a daily, no real modifying basically just repair and a wheel change.

420a=trash, save that shit for the neons.

420A isn't a bad motor, I had a 99 GS auto it made for a nice Daily. The Auto g63t cars don't like boost at all, so if you're going to beat on it, disengage overdrive otherwise you'll destroy that trans. Should at least toss out that paper weight of a turbo and pick up a 14b.

One of these days Ill pick up another one... Ive had 7 total between Eclipses, Talons, and one Laser. My next project is an Eclipse Spyder converted to a Talon and AWD. 

next project lol....maybe you should have finished your last talon project.

420A isn't a bad motor, I had a 99 GS auto it made for a nice Daily. The Auto g63t cars don't like boost at all, so if you're going to beat on it, disengage overdrive otherwise you'll destroy that trans. Should at least toss out that paper weight of a turbo and pick up a 14b.

next project lol....maybe you should have finished your last talon project.

Not finishing 1 out of 7 is pretty good... 

Last talon project? This isn't to much of a project since I'm not doing any major work. The car is as fast as I need it to be so no new turbo unless this one starts having issues. Haven't had any problems with the trans so far, quicker then my friends 5speed gst, but thats just cause I don't lose boost between shifts.

edit: I suppose stuff will start sliding basically no matter what though if your cornering hard enough.

Wierd, I dont have alot of issue off the line, I mean I CAN spin the tire(s), and the K24 has gobs of torque for an I4, I think its just getting used to it on the wheel spin thing.  I have NO problems with cornering speed in my car, but it has a good setup. see taking off, my issue is the torque steer, I get quite a bit. But an LSD will solve that issue soon enough.

I will admit that getting an FWD to handle really well can be difficult sometimes, though a few come out of the factory handling like a god.

Advantages to FWD? Well, compared to RWD in wet they always handle better, and snow. and traction compromising situations in general. But I find I can exit corners with much more throttle much more quickly too, since the wheels are pulling the weight not pushing it. There is somewhat an advantage when going into corners as well since there is more weight in the front of the vehicle pushing down on the wheels for braking, but this can all be tuned into both FWD and RWD. Honestly when you get into going fast on track with different chassis, You find that RWD and FWD are pretty equal. they all have advantages and disadvantages that can be tuned out in different ways.

AWD has a disadvantage on a lot of tracks due to weight., some tracks it dominates on however. There have been examples of AWD people making both longitudinal and transverse engine chassis rwd or fwd to go faster on certain tracks.

Some cars are helplessly FWD, meaning that there is little you can do to make it handle better.

To be honest, it has been a LOOOONG time since I drove either a 1 or 2g dsm, and it wasnt that crazy of a drive when I did.

I cant imagine that you cant make a DSM handle like a Civic? right?

+1 on staying a Talon.

I already know the issues with fitment, I need a pair of 7" wide starquest wheels, they fit perfect, but I only have 2, the 8" ones are about an inch out on the car on each side, needless to say I'm not gonna be using them. The stock wheels that came with my car all have a crack on one of there 5 spokes. They ride fine but I'm.a bit worried about hitting a pothole and destroying one.