Don potter cams on ebay

RTB

Are they to be trusted? Talked to the guy selling them and he uses an original as a master key then gets nos cams matched to that master key. Thoughts? Worth getting to get some more torque and power.

• Like 2
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll vouch for Dons cams.

I used them on a couple of racing motors, well maybe more than a couple.

Once we got dialed in on the grind they were unbeatable.

Great guy to talk to,knew his stuff.

Like Hainz says though,he kinda stretched it a bit sometimes.

But he could walk the walk.

Don't know about that E-Bay stuff though.

Dan

Don Potters name hasnt been mention in years on any forum. Glad he is still remembered.

If these cams are that good they should sell well if any L motors are still around.

Just make sure the specs come out correct and have them measured.

I got cams from Delta Camshaft out of Tacoma,Wa and they were not per spec(regrinds). I gave them away or use them to see if cam towers are straight in a head

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The only way to know for sure what the grind is is to send it off to a cam grinder and have it spec'd. Short of that, if the cams are stamped and come with a corresponding cam card, that's the next best. If you're buying cams from some guy who bought them from a widow of an old cam grinder, buyer be ware. Don't mistake my warning for trash talking. Steve Bonk could have been sold a box of rejects without knowing.

Someone should buy one and have it spec'd. Then we'd know for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

if its a small upgrade from stock, you'll be fine with the stock springs and retainers. just check your rocker arm wipe pattern.

its not a life expectancy problem, its a coil bind/valvetrain geometry issue usually.

you could just buy an isky kit and be done with it, you'll have to get lash pads from schnieder or another company. if you cant get lash caps tall enough manley makes 8 mm valve lash caps that fit nicely on the valve tips, and they wont hit the keepers unless your valve tips have been ground severely. these will raise your lash pads up 80 thou.

a word of caution, with the isky retainers and manley valve tip caps, and the tallest schnieder lash caps, the lash caps are sticking out of the retainers pretty far. I havint had an issue yet, just something to look out for. if your uncomfortable with doing that you may be able to find retainers that will hold bigger lash pads...

im running a isky z-196 grind, it appears that this setup works with theyre bigger grind too. this is probably way bigger than you need, but im feeding a 2.3