200sx

vern_k

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not my garage, it's the small side of the shop I have access to, if you look in the first picture there is a 60s vw notch back on it, but yea it is nice since the owner gave me keys so I can work on her at night after I get off work, I work 10am to 10 pm tue-fri, and I'm kinda a night owl so I can go there on my weekends and do 18 hour days working on her. He likes having someone there for the night shift, keeps people from trying to come in at night and taking stuff. I just need to not be working on my weekends so that I can get stuff done on her, I have had 1 day off in the last month, between 2 of my jobs (I have about 4 of those) but on the bright side I'll have a bit more money to put into her...... and on that note my material should be here today so I can start redoing the interior panels, I have them all pulled out except the headliner, I left that in due to not having a place to put it at the moment where it wouldn't get beat up more....... the dash is going to be a challange for sure.

this is the other side of the shop with my Maxima getting some new control arms and radius rods in the back from a while back

20130402_232525.jpg

• Like 1

yea that would be a bit of a drive for parts, these didn't look to bad when they were in, but as soon as I started backing the screw out to take them out they kinda crumbled...... 30 year old plastic, other then the dash these are about the worse, getting them put back together slowly, I think it will go a bit faster once I get the big breaks fixed and it's just a few spots I can get glued all at once, have the one about done, should be able to get the dash done this weekend maybe, think I'm going to go pick up some dry ice before I start putting her back together...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

OH so the news on this is that there was a fire (electrical box) and I lost everything that I had taken off, all the trim, tail lights, side glass, interior...... so now I have nothing but the shell and dash (had dash at home to work on it), as of right now I am going a head with my build, right now i'm held up a bit with money have about half to finish paying on my engine, then a few more "big parts" to get before I can start putting her together again.......

• 8 months later...

well I guess I will just add to this instead of starting a new thread.......

the 80 200sx has been put aside (still trying to get rid of her) but my project has turned into a 86 200sx, yes I know technically not a Datsun, more like the younger sexier half sister...... but have found one Datsun sticker on her, on the timing belt cover it still has the "how to care for your Datsun sticker......

anyway here she is......

20140607_173113.jpg

20140607_173144.jpg

some of the stuff I fixed

20140616_123233.jpg

20140622_194325.jpg

found in junk yard while getting a window for drivers door that was missing when I got her

20140622_151107.jpg

20140622_184344.jpg

so that about brings this up to date, other then I had my engine paid for at the end of September.......

• Like 1

well since I haven't been here in forever, here is a little update. Well motor finely got here but still waiting on ecu and wiring harness and other parts, have to say Fever Racing has totally let me down, was hoping to have this thing on the road to go to my daughters graduation but since they have burned up all my slow time at work waiting over 4 months to get my parts I will not be able to get it put together in time..... in short don't buy from Fever Racing unless you get the parts first then pay them......

but other then that I have gotten a few other parts I needed picked up lately, got the steering wheel I wanted from all hours auto salvage in nampa, idaho. was a really nice place to deal with, it was listed on parts finder, I called and was told they would have to go check to see if it was still there and call me back (i'm like ok maybe I'll call back as see if you checked in a few days) well a few min later I get a text with a pix of it, I was a bit impressed.

Got a really nice score on ebay, rear diff was listed for $50 plus $50 for shipping with no pixs, I took the risk figuring even if it's a open and not complete it still isn't that bad of deal if I have to find stub shafts or something so I bought it, turns out not only is it complete but is also a Vlsd.......

also picked up some of the parts I needed from the upullit, along with a score on mud flaps.....

So now the biggest hold up is Fever Racing getting my parts, not only have they put me into the spot of not having my car ready for a important date, and making me wait though my slow season where it wouldn't have been a big deal to take a week off and work on it for 18 hours a day and get her put together but have pushed it to the point so now even if I got the parts tomorrow I couldn't touch them till maybe this weekend if I didn't have to much other work to get done, but the shop is also moving soon so might have to wait till that happens so my car doesn't have to be moved while it's all in parts trying to get put back together........

so yes this project is still in the works, just being held up by Fever Racing getting my parts that they had "in the warehouse ready to go" when I started paying on them.....

So, the build for the 80 shell is going into the 86 correct?  Forgive me if I missed it, but what are you swapping in there?  I really dig these cars.  There was a time when I wouldn't have thought twice about this body style, but it's really grown on me.  They look so much like a Corolla that I'm surprised there was never a lawsuit over it.  I saw this build thread pop up and thought it was something new.  Then realized after the pic of the "door mulch" that I had read this before.

I'm glad to see it back in action.  Hopefully you can get your parts together and get to work on it soon.

Hey but on the bright side,  you haven't caught it on fire,,,,,,,,,,,,, yet.

:lol:

there is that, although there was a big risk with the way the headlights were wired when I got her, wire straight from the battery, no fuse, to a pull switch zip tied to the brace in the radio compartment, to the wires that were cut and wired nutted........ but that risk is gone.... 

So, the build for the 80 shell is going into the 86 correct?  Forgive me if I missed it, but what are you swapping in there?  I really dig these cars.  There was a time when I wouldn't have thought twice about this body style, but it's really grown on me.  They look so much like a Corolla that I'm surprised there was never a lawsuit over it.  I saw this build thread pop up and thought it was something new.  Then realized after the pic of the "door mulch" that I had read this before.

I'm glad to see it back in action.  Hopefully you can get your parts together and get to work on it soon.

yes my plans for the 80 are now going into the 86, was to deep into it to just walk away then came across the 86, which I like more then the 80. I have owned both cars before had a 83 and a 84 at one point...... as far as what is going in that isn't being said till I have pixs of the mock up, sorry keeping it a surprise till I have proof.... 

Missed out by one year. The DATSUN label (decal) on the '85 200sx is just above the left rear tail lights and is part # 84891-06F01 Only comes in white and about $20. Probably won't fit with the spoiler thing on.

yep 84/85 Datsun on one side Nissan on the other...... I have thought about getting the sticker but think I'm going to see if I can get the "how to care for your Datsun" one that is on the timing belt cover for my new engine just cuz it would make people be like WTF if they saw it....

• 1 month later...

a little update to keep from falling to way far back in the pages.......

well coil overs on order, rear diff sitting in parts stack, steering wheel in parts stack, just one more expensive part to buy and should about have everything I need. Still waiting on Fever Racing to get me my parts, been over 6 months since they have been paid off......

I have a trip to MN coming up mid May, and the car shop is moving in the next couple weeks, so think I will be waiting till I get back from MN to start anything on her, but will need to do some work to the Maxima for the trip, like replace front struts, CV shaft that has a rip in the boot since I don't want to drive that far with duct tape holding grease in, might polish my extra intake and drop that on while I'm at it and do the valve cover gaskets..... Really disappointed with Fever Racing since they have burned up 6 months build time so that I could take the 200sx to MN.....

• 4 weeks later...

well my part came, but won't be able to do anything till I get back from my travels to MN then to OR, hope to have a couple weekends free when I get back to get her into the shop and start getting her together.....

the bad news is the place that I ordered my coilovers from dropped the ball and I ebay just gave me my money back so I need to order them again.....

• 2 months later...

update time...... well finally had the time to get started, and come to find out that due to all the delays and my engine sitting outside I had water sitting in cylinders so now have the engine tore down. seems that not only did fever racing take forever to send me my parts, they are not done right, got that fixed.... hoping to get the car to the shop soon and get the engine taken out and start getting things mock up and some pixs up..... but at least I have been able to get somewhere on this now.......   

• 1 month later...