72.5 datsun 620 project lucy

mikeanike99

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just unboxed my new carrier and bearing from Rock Auto.

I ordered the DEA part and a National Bearing part.

DEA is $22 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4375947&cc=1210093

National is $34

The DEA part looked like just the rubber on the Rock auto site but it turns out its a bearing and carrier rubber for $22 +shipping. The bearing feels just ok but it barely experiences a load and the rubber is what fails first (typically)

The National part is a bearing only so pretty useless as there isn't a carrier rubber listed for sale on Rock Auto. I'll be returning it.

The next cheapest part is in the $60 range made by Timken. I like Timken but I'm going to try the DEA part because it's a cheap experiment.

• Like 1

Got a coil spring booster today gonna install it tomorrow. Thinking about put the stock steelies back on. But need to get new hubcaps cause the ones I have are beat to heck and super dinged up. And my gas tank has a massive dent in it that I need to fix somehow any tips on how to do that?

And my gas tank has a massive dent in it that I need to fix somehow any tips on how to do that?

Either a suction cup style dent puller, or pop the sending unit out and push the dent back out with a wood rod (if reachable).  Or, empty the tank and throw a match down it..... :no:

71273a.jpg

Do not weld on an empty gas tank. Unless its been sitting, open for a long time. There will be residual fumes for a long time. They will ignite and you will lose a gas tank and at least your hair.

I had an old school radiator guy fix a tank for me A few years ago at Mac's Radiator in Portland. He filled it with water and left the hose running in it and then welded on it. It was amazing to see, I'll never try it.

You should be able to get a good piece of wood in there and shove on that dent. Metal rod runs the risk of poking thru I'd think.

How big is the dent? Do you really need to fix it?