Steve's 521 project (BRE)

Steve521

Well, life has not been good to my family financially and I have been gone because I just didn't have the time or more importantly, MONEY, to get the truck running.  The GOOD news is that I didn't give up on my little gem and still have everything I've bought for it.  Many times it was considered to get rid of it but we fought to keep it.  We had to wait for our '13 tax return money to come in, in order to continue this project and finally, after paying many bills (including a "almost 2k) one, I'm ready to start on her again.  I still don't have a crap load of time or am any more resourceful than I was but I'm determined to get the truck on the road and hopefully before another meet so I can participate.

Just wanted to give people a heads up about why I was absent for so long.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Finally!

Finally after spending almost all summer chasing my 3 kids around the house all day, my wife and I ended up being blessed with some "parenting breakthroughs" that is finally giving me a bit more time so I took the first chance I could and got out to the garage and disconnected all hoses, wires, etc. for the L16.  I haven't sold anything and like I said before fought to hold on to the truck, L20 engine and matchbox dizzy.  Since the radiator and such was already removed before I got the truck, all I have left to do is unbolt exhaust, transmission and engine mounts.  I finally convinced my wife that even if we aren't made of money, we should at least start working on the truck so we know what we need and can plan for it.  Anyway, it's not much but it's a start anyway.  I have big dreams for this truck but at this point I just need to get it road worthy first before I think about anything else.

I had a quick question though since I have very little experience with classic Dats.  Should I remove the transmission with the engine or should I just remove the engine only.  Hopefully I can line up an engine hoist for not too much and get it out by this weekend at the latest.  Here's some pics of what little progress I made yesterday.

IMG_20140818_174022678_zpse9aa900d.jpg

IMG_20140818_173918890_zps6fd36ff4.jpg

IMG_20140818_173925501_zpsa5055fa0.jpg

IMG_20140818_173939132_zps614bd9f4.jpg

• Like 1

I think it is easier to separate the engine from the tranny.  It is lighter.  You then have to deal with the reinstalling the transmission, when you put it back in, and that is why some people remove the two together.  You do have tight clearance between the oil pan, and tie rod.

If you remove. or reinstall both together, you have to raise the front of the truck enough to allow the tail of the transmission to drop.

You can also remove the transmission, with the engine in the truck, and then remove the engine.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the input and it's supposed to be a runner Wayno.  I guess we'll find out.  Bought it from Eagle Adam almost a year ago.  Have to transplant my oil pan onto it so I'll get a better look at it then.

• Like 1

Nice truck my friend and good job not bailing out on the project.Do the engine bay before you put the new motor in. You will thank yourself down the road. :thumbup:

+1 on the engine bay.

I agree 100% accept if this truck is ever done like I really want it to be it will be painted in a silver type color and I would want the engine bay painted the same color as the truck but I'll give it some thought.  ;)

• Like 1

Sweet truck.  You have some great help already on this forum. 

Here is a 521 manual link if you have not stumbled across it.

http://www.bluehandsinc.com/manuals.html

Thank you so much Charlie ... REALLY appreciate every bit of help.  Will download it immediately.  Also, I've decided I will line up a cherry picker/engine hoist this week and pull it out this Saturday if ANY way possible.

Thank you so much Charlie ... REALLY appreciate every bit of help.  Will download it immediately.  Also, I've decided I will line up a cherry picker/engine hoist this week and pull it out this Saturday if ANY way possible.

I have a hoist, but I really don't have the time to take it over there.

• Like 1

I have a hoist, but I really don't have the time to take it over there.

Is it something that could be loaded into a Honda Odyssey van (open / no seats other than front) ?  If it is, I would be more than willing to come and get it and return it the same day but that's your call if you would trust me. ;-)  If not, that's OK, I even thought of maybe just doing what I read someone else did here and rig up a come along from the rafters.

Well, pretty sure that would fit so I'll let you know by tomorrow if I need to come and get it.  This would be a tremendous help and driving to Vancouver isn't a huge deal but I'll see if I can come up with something else to do it first.  Thanks again for the offer. :-)

So, I decided to move this build back over to my original thread that has pics and info about my truck when I first got it until now but I figured I would still go ahead and post an update with link on this one here and there.  Anyway, engine (L16) is out ... didn't pull the head off first. ;-)

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56420-finally-got-a-521-work-underway-814/