Loren O's '72 521 -Found this out in the woods.

Loren O

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

which l motor is it loren? i have an l20b torn apart in the shop i can do measurements on, and i can possibly lose the oil pump gear if it's the same as the one on a z22

edit: status says l20b, let me know if that oil pump gear is interchangeable, i'll get to looking for that bolt when i get back down to the shop

• Like 2

I see the head dont have the water passage holes.

Most L16s in 510 and 521 run the water line to the manifold to heat it so the carb dont freeze.

If running sidedrafts carbs then waht you have is perfect and dont leak.

if you live in a warm climate this is OK also and just plug the L hose by the fuel pump and not waterline is needed.

The oil spindals and bolts are EZ to come by. I have tons of them

• Like 2

this truck will be running SU's from a Z, on a manifold made for me by Z therapy.  Steve saved my ass there!  I bought the carbs from a friend from Facebook.  we have talked so much about this truck, that I assumed he knew what I was using the carbs for.  He assumed I knew what I was buying,& that they had come off a Z.   Luckily for me, the Z manifold, etc were parts that Z therapy wanted, & they had what I needed to make the carbs work on my L20b.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why I didn't notice it was the wrong manifold for my FOUR CYLINDER.  I guess I was just too excited about finding a set of SU's that I could actually afford,& I needed a carburetor for this truck, so I jumped on the deal.  oops!    THANK YOU to Steve & Bruce at Z therapy for fixing my mistake!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I need to find a manifold gasket for this head. Will any square port manifold gasket work. if someone has a part number, that would help. the engine is supposed to have come out of a '78 620, but I don't know for sure that this was the original head. any help would be greatly appreciated.20150828_193446.jpg

• Like 2

You could call Pierce Manifolds and ask if the have a manifold that will work for you.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/

For more information, please give us a call
M-F between 9am-Noon and 1pm-5pm (Pacific Time)
(408) 842-6667

or email us at:
webercarbs@piercemanifolds.com

Mailing address is:
Pierce Manifolds
321 Kishimura Dr
Gilroy, CA 95020

• 1 month later...

Time for an update!

Shawn Drawdy & I made some progress on my truck yesterday. My rebuilt L20b is in it's home I'm the engine bay! I'm pretty happy about this news,since it has been difficult for me to make time to go work on it,these last couple of months.

Due to the damage to both transmissions that I was planning on swapping into this truck,we have decided to run with the factory 4 speed,at least until I can find another transmission, or repair one of the other 2 that I already have.

We also have decided to start with just the 2" lowering blocks for the rear at first, then see how the truck looks after re-indexing the torsion bars. I can always swap in the 720 4x4 leafs later ,if I decide it needs to sit lower. I am going for more of a 70's mini muscle truck look,so I want the back to sit a little higher than the front. I may eventually go with wider rear wheels,once I find some that match the front ones,& a pair of rear "Fontana " style fender flares.20160125_133021.jpg20160125_135702_2.jpg20160125_145948_1.jpg20160125_151352_2.jpg

• Like 1

Time for an update!

Shawn Drawdy & I made some progress on my truck yesterday. My rebuilt L20b is in it's home I'm the engine bay! I'm pretty happy about this news,since it has been difficult for me to make time to go work on it,these last couple of months.

Due to the damage to both transmissions that I was planning on swapping into this truck,we have decided to run with the factory 4 speed,at least until I can find another transmission, or repair one of the other 2 that I already have.

We also have decided to start with just the 2" lowering blocks for the rear at first, then see how the truck looks after re-indexing the torsion bars. I can always swap in the 720 4x4 leafs later ,if I decide it needs to sit lower. I am going for more of a 70's mini muscle truck look,so I want the back to sit a little higher than the front. I may eventually go with wider rear wheels,once I find some that match the front ones,& a pair of rear "Fontana " style fender flares.20160125_133021.jpg20160125_135702_2.jpg20160125_145948_1.jpg20160125_151352_2.jpg

Looking really good man.

One question.. in the last picture to me it looks like the motor is tilted to the passenger side a bit much like maybe the mounts are backwards..??? Idk just looks like it to me..

I haven't had a L in my truck a while so I could wrong haha

• Like 1

Yeah,I probably should have done that. Shawn is going to be doing some rust repair on that flat shelf like area,directly above the pedal assembly. I will clean up the rest of the engine bay when he's done with that. I need to get this truck moving under it's own power asap though.

• Like 2