Loren O's '72 521 -Found this out in the woods.

Loren O

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hopefully that strap isn't holding that canopy on. Mine was c clamped down

I have canopy clamps holding it on at the back end of the truck, but I still need to put some at the front of the bed. I have a bedliner in this truck,so that things don't fall through the rusted out section of the bed floor near the tailgate. There had been an old J series engine sitting in back of the truck when I found it. Something must've leaked from that,causing the rust. I don't want to change the bed,because the patina won't match,so I am just going to have that section of the bed floor patched with a section from another bed I have lined up.

Anyway, I need to cut some holes in the bedliner, so I can use the Canopy clamps.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Al picked up my 521 Saturday. He's going to get the things I haven't had time for done,so I can start daily driving this truck. I have been driving a rental car from work, because my 510 goon has been difficult to get started, & the ball joints and tie rods are shot. The car has pretty severe "death wobble ",so it's parked until I can get the parts needed to fix it.

Even at employee price, the cost of driving a rental car daily is bankrupting me.

20161224_121055.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Al,& company made some progress on my truck. It's down to getting new wheel cylinders, & brake shoes,then a trip to DMV.

I can hardly wait to finally be able to drive this truck.

IMAG0805.jpg

IMAG0807.jpg

• Like 3
  • 11 months later...

Seems like a good time to post an update on my truck. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I get around the whole Photobucket thing.

I drove my truck to the Eugene show,& also Datsuns around Bend last summer. It had some kind of breakdown both times,but it got me there. There were some problems with the carburetor, that have been fixed, & the major problems on the way home from Bend have been repaired. It turned out that when my friend assembled the engine, he forgot to install the guide pins between the block and the head. The gasket (and likely the head itself) moved,& caused the head gasket to get damaged eventually blowing out at the #4 cylinder. Al,Hogie,Draker,Jim, & myself all worked on it weekend before last,fixed that,& reinstalled the distributor drive in the correct position in one day. Thanks also to Joe Yantis for the ride from Wilsonville to Eugene, so I could get this stuff done. The truck runs & drives great now! I promised Al I wouldn't Hot Rod the truck around until after it breaks in again. The temptation is strong ,but I am taking it easy. I didn't get to drive my truck at all yesterday, but that is the first day I haven't driven it since I drove it back from Eugene last weekend. I can hardly wait to drive it to Silver Falls on May 5th!

• Like 3

Ok,well it seems like my Photobucket pictures are still working here for now,at least.

So,here are a couple of pictures from this last year with my 521:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/lorenolver/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-07/20170711_084516.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/lorenolver/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-07/20170704_094906.jpg

• Like 1

so this is running?

lower it up some more. but looks good to me

Thank you!

Yes,it's running & driving now. I have 2" lowering blocks,& if I decide to go lower, I still have a pair of 720 4x4 leaf springs.

I don't know if I'm going to go very low with it though,after taking the truck camping last summer. I may use the 4x4 leafs,& my other set of blocks on my 83 720 ST instead. The 521 is my daily driver for the time being at least. My wagon needs a bunch of suspension work, & I need to get either camber plates,or 210 top hats before it can be done.

• Like 1

You best be driving this thing every day..... forever Loren ;)

Well,I am daily driving it right now,but I do have 2 other Datsuns that I would like to also be able to drive at a moment's notice. My 510 wagon isn't too far from being drivable & the 720 will get there after I go pick up the replacement engine from Tim.

I need to get some stuff done on my Riviera, before it gets worse.

• Like 1

I will say that it sure is nice to have a Datsun to drive again,especially after riding the bus to work most of this last year. Now I get to whatever destination, & am a little disappointed that the drive is over,& look forward to the drive home.

• Like 1