Loren O's '72 521 -Found this out in the woods.

Loren O

We'll I had to warranty the Brand new battery I got the other day. The nee one,I got today seems good ,so far. I poured a little gas in the carb,then put the fuel hose into the gas can (since I need a replacement fuel filler hose.) The truck started right up,when I turned the key. I haven't put the radiator in yet,so I can't let it run for more than a minute.

Here's a video of the truck running, AR my job at Wilsonville Nissan.

th_20160331_182306.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting for some parts at the moment. I also need to replace some of the metal brake lines,get the rear brakes working. I also need to figure out why none of the lights except the front emergency flashers work. I need to put the radiator I have in,so I can let it run longer than a couple minutes. I also want to get the lowering blocks installed, get the torsion bars adjusted. Oh,& I need to get the rust holes patched. 20160331_182447.jpg

• Like 1

At the moment I am waiting for some parts Al is sending me,& to get the patch panel. I still need to get the bad brake lines done,& get some help sorting out why most of the lights don't work.

• Like 1

Brought my truck to my work at Wilsonville Nissan, so I could keep working on it, since my apartments don't allow working on vehicles on the premises. Gonna miss Shawn,his wife Rebecca, & their family, now that they have moved to Arizona. 20160330_181515.jpg

I met Shawn a couple weeks ago at Gene Knight's, good people.  I like all the work he has done to his 521.  I gave him a 720 dash to work on for the replacement of his dash in his 521.

• Like 1

Not yet,no. I gotta get some brake line tubing first. The front brakes are semi functional,so the truck can be moved around, if necessary. Hopefully I will have time to work on it today on my lunch break. I need to replace the fuel filler neck hose also. It has a split,so I haven't been able to get gas into the tank. We started it off a hose,running into a gas can.

• Like 2

Loren, I hope you are not upset, I am going to put this here.

My 521 is finally nearing drivable status. The engine is in, we have started it,etc. Once I installed the battery ,had it where it would run,I found that only my front emergency flashers work, no other lights whatsoever. The heater fan,& wipers work though. It has power to the fuse box,,and power on both sides of the fuses. Being that you're the resident electrical genius, especially with 521's, I thought I would ask for your help.

Here is two wiring diagrams for 521 trucks. first one is the truck, but for a 1970, manual choke truck, 1972 521 had an electric choke.

521wires.jpg

This is a lights only wiring diagram.

LightWires.jpg

The standard 521 first thing to check, when having electrical problems.  Check for power on the fuses, on the side away from the battery.  Do this with the lights or whatever on.  If you use a decent electronic volt meter, a slightly damp bad connection will pass enough voltage to make a volt meter read 12 volts, but will not carry any current.

Before I put tail lights, side marker lights on a project truck I bench test then first.  When you know the tail lights are good, then you can look for wiring problems.  If the tail lights are not good, you do not know where to start.

Ok, you tested the tail lights, and they work.  On a 521 the next thing I would check is the tail light ground.  The tail light harness connects to the tail light frame.  The tail light frame should ground to bed sheet metal, and bed sheet metal should ground to the trucks frame, and the trucks frame should ground to the engine.  If you connect a long wire to the tail light frame, and run that wire up by the battery, check the voltage between that wire, and battery negative.  It should be less than .2 (two tenths of a volt)

The front park lights, the heater, and the wipers all ground to cab sheet metal.  If the ground is bad for the rear lights, the front electrical stuff would still work.

There are two wiring harness plugs by the starter.  Look for the six pin plug.  It may have bad connections.  Unplugging, and plugging it back in may fix a bad contact issue.

That should give you some things to check on.

• Like 2

I'm stuck waiting until payday, so I can get brake tubing, etc,& a filler neck hose. I am waiting for some other parts to get to me.

Lowering will definitely be happening after the brakes & lights work. I already have 2" lowering blocks, & if that doesn't lower it enough, I also have 720 4x4 leaf springs, & new bushings. The front will just be a matter of adjusting the torsion bars.

• Like 1