A 410 Goon moves to Hawaii

Sincerely, good luck! Try fork lift dealers for E engine parts. If zero, look into J13 or J15 engines. Datsuns, whether grey market or franchised dealer networks have been in Hawaii for a long time. Check with local sites, and again good luck, we need more running Datsuns! I bought my 411 from the second franchised dealer in North America, but Hawaii and a Grey Market dealer on the East Coast were earlier. There just might be early parts stashes in some warehouse in Pearl City just waiting for you!

Damn, looks like I should be hanging out in Pearl City more often lol!

So stoked on your wagon man!  This thing is going to be cleaaaaannnnnnnnn!

• Like 1
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Ratsun love, but ordering a batch of stickers is $$$$. I might wait til I finish the Goon and see how much I have left over... LOL! Ordered 4 new lap belts this morning. Repro old VW, black with chrome latches. Flame me for buying Wolfsburg parts, but their fresh!

I'm fixin to rebuild the original E1 1200cc motor. I've read alot and done some searches... Do any e1/J-series gurus know if a j15 forklift rebuild kit would provide me with the basic parts I need? I remember reading the internals were interchangeable among some early blocks, but.... Is this possible?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150950991795?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mahalo!

image_zpsbcb0b78c.jpg

The Saga continues... Pulled the motor by hand. Internals are pretty solid. Might just replace rings, gaskets, clutch, have head gone through, and flywheel and pressure plate resurfaced. Was really clean inside for 48 years old. I don't think it has ever been worked on besides oil changes. Ordered a new Pierce manifold with 32/36 weber carb. Prolly going to do the EI dizzy upgrade with stock tailshaft as well. Am I correct in assuming the 520/521 brake/clutch master cylinders and clutch slave will work if I use the arms off my stock ones. Mine are toast.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

what shipping company did you use to ship the vehicle

Pasha Hawaii. Would give them a thumbs up. Was my only choice because my car was inoperable. $1100 shipping fee plus $150 for non-op. Matson is around the same, $1100-ish. Pasha is a little more casual. Matson guys are real by-the-book, and look for little things to bust you on, cracked glass, etc. you can't put anything extra in the car with either, but race Neely threw some xtra brake pads in my goon and they let it slide.

Progress is slow on my goon or I'd post an update. Got my motor to the machine shop to be examined and figure out how deep I need to go on rebuilding. Stripped my bay, dropped my front crossmember and suspension. Started shaving and prepping the bay for paint. Thinking I'm going to do a heater delete. I hardly use one and it will clean up the bay and make my simple car even simpler...

awesome, good to know. 

because i was on matsons site and i dont think they ship non-ops 

i got 4 cars i gotta ship, one is non op and one the navy is gonna ship for me. 

my truck leaks oil and matson also has a note about no leakers.

awesome, good to know. 

because i was on matsons site and i dont think they ship non-ops 

i got 4 cars i gotta ship, one is non op and one the navy is gonna ship for me. 

my truck leaks oil and matson also has a note about no leakers.

Faced this "leakers" BS a long time ago.  Drain and flush, remove the battery and tell them it's empty.  They will probably want to drain it anyway unless they plan on a ROLO [roll on roll off] operation and don't figure on pushing .towing or craning you into the hold.  You're not going deck cargo I hope?

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the bay down to here.

image_zps6f7a7a48.jpg

Got crazy with grinder and drill-mounted wire wheels and some sandpaper until I was down to 90% bare metal. Shaved the battery tray, heater delete. Filled random holes. Brushed entire front clip inside and out with Corraseal, rust converter/metal primer(turns iron oxide to magnetite)

image_zps1270996b.jpg

Then spent several nights after work with bondo, filler primer and glazing putty. With lots of fine paper and scotch rite pads.

Just hit it with 2 coats of battleship grey.

image_zps604e634f.jpg

Going for a low-tech version look of this.

image_zps4b19008d.jpg

Engine will be dark blue with light blue stock air cleaner.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

image_zps952a3ba1.jpg

Wirewheeling small parts, ordering and gathering parts, matchbox dizzy, NGK plugs and wires, 280x alternator, Pierce MGB manifold and new custom jetted Weber, water pump, Nissan fender mirrors. And waiting for my engine to be rebuilt. Oh yeah, having marathon txt message conversations with my Datsun Guru buddy, Just Joel. I like the way it's coming together.