A 410 Goon moves to Hawaii

Lol! Hasn't been started or ran in 17 years. Clutch pedal and brake pedal go to the floor. A little buff, fuel, engine, cooling, brake, clutch and electrical systems full rebuild, plus possible swap and it's good to go! Shooting for Labor Day 2014! But exterior and interior are actually in pretty good shape, so the project is blessed by the Dat-Gods...

Haha yeah, Im sure it needs more than a little buff to get it driving and stopping. I meant to  wake it up from its 20 year barn state. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a long weekend on Oahu at a CrossFit competition. Next step is to clear out some space in my shed and fabricate a proper workbench. Been thinking a lot whether to spend time and money rebuilding the E1 1198 cc engine. Or trying to swap an L-series...

R16 or even an A series are an easier option that L series.

R16 or even an A series are an easier option that L series.

I suggest a little data mining in the 410/411 section.  I seem to recall some discussion in that section about hood clearance [and probably radiator clearance] in the miniature 410 / 411 engine compartment.  Looks like you have a real gem there, hope the salt air is kept at bay with "too much" washing and waxing.

Sincerely, good luck! Try fork lift dealers for E engine parts. If zero, look into J13 or J15 engines. Datsuns, whether grey market or franchised dealer networks have been in Hawaii for a long time. Check with local sites, and again good luck, we need more running Datsuns! I bought my 411 from the second franchised dealer in North America, but Hawaii and a Grey Market dealer on the East Coast were earlier. There just might be early parts stashes in some warehouse in Pearl City just waiting for you!

image_zps44f602bd.jpg

Pulled the seats and carpet. I was surprised by a remarkably clean floorboard area. Pulled the fiber carpet pad, This picture shows one half given the simple green-scrub brush treatment.

image_zpse543db27.jpg

Pulled the fuel tank sender, no signs of any corrosion… Going to drain and flush tank anyway before I try to start her. Pressure washed engine, underbody, front and rear suspension. Ordered coil, plugs, wires, water pump, hoses etc. The engine turns freely but has still not been started since 1997.