A 410 Goon moves to Hawaii

image_zps49a3f5bc.jpg

Aloha! I am a carpenter in Hawaii who has been dreaming of getting another Datsun wagon off and on for the last couple decades. I had a 72 510 wagon in high school. Red, mint condition, Stock except for Pirelli tires, Alpine cassette and sheepskin seat covers. Best car I ever owned. Wish I would've never sold her. That was 1990. I thought about 510 wagons off and on casually ever since then. Owned lots of trucks, old Toyotas, Hondas, and Volvo wagons.

These last six months, I had a stash of cash set aside and began obsessively searching out a wagon to buy. We're talking Craigslist/cars for sale/ "Datsun" bookmarks on my iPhone in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, LA and small towns in between. Checking them for new cars more often than any sane person would dare. In the middle of building cabinets and eating dinner with my family, Haha! I wanted something that needed work, but was not too far gone or incomplete. Had to be Datsun, a wagon, stick and RWD. I lean a little more towards stock, not really a race car type of guy. Although I love to read all of the different builds and sagas on Ratsun.

I saw a ton, called on a dozen, wasted several peoples time. Became good txt-message-Ratsun buddies with JustJoel. I would send him pictures and he would respond with his stoic commonsense opinions and advice. I won't go into details on all the close calls, harebrained ideas. But we pictured ourselves as distant operatives collaborating on an undercover mission. Back of cargo van microphone-type stuff. But our mission was the procurement of decent, worthwhile Datsun wagons for sale. That could be transported to Hawaii through a web of old friends and family I have scattered around the west coast.

Ended up communicating with RaceNeely about a SSS 411 sedan he had for sale. I know it's not a wagon, some times these things are tempting. I let him know I was pretty much holding out for a wagon and he said he might have a 65' coming up for sale. I expressed my interest and he gave me first shot on it. Apparently the previous owners had a problem with the distributor. Took out the battery, put it in a shipping container in 1997. Pulled it back out in 2013 and sold it to RaceNeely. After analyzing the pictures, it looked very complete with little corrosion and a lot of potential. I was unfamiliar with the 410\411, And still am. The parts are definitely more rare than the cars that came after it. But, gosh darn it, it is a cute little car! I agreed to buy the car, RaceNeely was really great to work with, and even delivered the car from LA area to the San Diego dock to be shipped to me in Hawaii. He even got registration and all the notarized BS paperwork together on his end to make it happen. I met my Tow truck driver down at the docks in Hilo this morning, did I mention it hasn't started since 1997. I shot a lot of Pics while I waited for him, And got to rummage around and inspect everything. The car is even cleaner and in better condition than I thought it would be. I know it will be months of weekends working through all the mechanical chores that I have to do. We got the car safely 70 miles to my home. The car is now resting from her 4000 mile trip in my shed.

I know what you Ratsun guys like. Less words, more Oics!!!

image_zpsabc97100.jpg

The first time she saw sunlight in 17 years. Sacramento, California.

image_zpsc8e5549e.jpg

First time I saw her in Hawaii. A truck driver stopped his truck got out and told me a story about his 620 pick up that he loves. He suggested upgrading to an electronic distributor. Haha!

• Like 4
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image_zpsfd9fa1dc.jpg

Judging from the condition of the car, original paint, original carpet with little wear. I assume this is the actual mileage. Did I mention there is no Bondo, repainting or major rust. I don't think the door panels or fenders have ever been off either. Even the original exhaust is hanging from original fibers straps.

image_zps5f6915e3.jpg

image_zps98e91adf.jpg

image_zps2a1bedd7.jpg

• Like 2

image_zpsdc8d718c.jpg

Put down a plywood floor and waterproof Ceilng in the dirt bike shed last weekend. Now I need to have a garage sale and sell half my shit to make room for this project...

image_zps6a9ca3c6.jpg

I had an hour left to pack and leave for a flight to Oahu. Couldn't help but do a little cut and wax research.

image_zps473648c1.jpg

• Like 3

Holy crap, man. This little red Goon is one honey of a survivor. Your luck and persistance have surely paid off. I've been a severe car nut for fifty years (since high school)  and never gave Dats a second look till four months ago. Cupid shot an arrow through my heart about a year ago as I drove by the nice one-owner 620 longbed down the street. I remember when they bought her in '78 and never took much notice till a year ago. Drove by one day on way home from work and there was a 'For Sale' sign on her. That evening she slept in my carport instead of the PO's carport. 

I'm just about to get her back on the road and then the real 'Datso Fever' will kick in. Since acquiring the 620 and working on her, I've developed a superhard for 410/411's and NL320's. I tend to go to extremes, picking the tougher ones when I start studying a marque and like super opriginal survivors. 

You've assumed the care of a beautiful little piece of automotive and cultural history. Preserve and enhance her with care. Have a beautiful & sunny HI day.

Steve 

Put down a plywood floor and waterproof Ceilng in the dirt bike shed last weekend. Now I need to have a garage sale and sell half my shit to make room for this project...

image_zps6a9ca3c6.jpg

I had an hour left to pack and leave for a flight to Oahu. Couldn't help but do a little cut and wax research.

image_zps473648c1.jpg

• Like 1

image_zpsdc8d718c.jpg

image_zps6a9ca3c6.jpg

image_zps473648c1.jpg

Looking nice bro ..What's the name of those Products?

Beauty!  I've always thought that under cargo storage space was so cool.  Can't wait to see your progress.

I agree about the under cargo space. Here is what I did with mine;

day603_zps1946c9b2.jpg

Day604_zpsb984b193.jpg

• Like 3

Lol! Hasn't been started or ran in 17 years. Clutch pedal and brake pedal go to the floor. A little buff, fuel, engine, cooling, brake, clutch and electrical systems full rebuild, plus possible swap and it's good to go! Shooting for Labor Day 2014! But exterior and interior are actually in pretty good shape, so the project is blessed by the Dat-Gods...