Daily Hillclimb Build (s30)

Also, I'm sure you know... you'll never find the person who sent the botnet orders. 

I'll assume you haven't heard of our Internet Intelligence product (research.dyn.com - formerly Renesys)? Information gathering has come a long, long way in the past 10 years. Covering your tracks on the internet is becoming more and more difficult as time passes, and you may be surprised by the amount of information available right now. We're working with ... three-letter agencies ... to gather more information and to actually do something about this. What sets this attack apart from the majority of them is that it was targeted at us (a service provider) rather than one of our customers (such as Twitter or Netflix or whomever).

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard of your product specifically but I've worked with those same 3 letter agencies. I agree it's getting harder, but I would assume what you are going to find is traffic back to a baby monitor and other devices. If you were able to grab data from that device or where it was receiving instructions from via the service provider, it's going to lead to a Tor exit node and probably multiple hops within. I guess depending on what 3 letter agency you are working with, you might have a fighting chance. I know not all nodes are created equal. *cough*

Also, on a car related note.. I've been following your build for some time. I dig it!

I build airplanes for a living, y'all are making my head hurt. Like I'm figuratively about to cry it hurts so bad all i came here for was build progress. Fucking smart people

:rofl:

Seriously though, how's the battle with the car?

• Like 1

I bought this car as my birthday present to myself three years ago today. That kind of blows my mind.

I haven't heard of your product specifically but I've worked with those same 3 letter agencies. I agree it's getting harder, but I would assume what you are going to find is traffic back to a baby monitor and other devices. If you were able to grab data from that device or where it was receiving instructions from via the service provider, it's going to lead to a Tor exit node and probably multiple hops within. I guess depending on what 3 letter agency you are working with, you might have a fighting chance. I know not all nodes are created equal. *cough*

Also, on a car related note.. I've been following your build for some time. I dig it!

There are more tricks you can do to get more information, such as capturing requests that the baby monitors and such made during the attack. It's probably best that I keep the specifics to myself, though. 

:rofl:

Seriously though, how's the battle with the car?

Expect another update tonight. If I have enough extra sets of hands, there should be a piece of less-boring news  ;)

• Like 2
Happy Birthday to me (no really, today happens to be my birthday).

Cutting out such nice fabrication work hurts, but the project demands it.

29995716774_fca3700194_b.jpg

A little help from a few people, and I was left with most of a roll cage. If this were a single-seater, it'd be ideally set up.

30327971490_757c8dc632_b.jpg

With a little reinforcement, the body is safely on the chassis table.

30511157682_5b3a9b4668_b.jpg

I'll jig the body so it's roughly-ride-height up from the table surface, then finalize my suspension jigs to tie it all together.

• Like 1

I bought this car as my birthday present to myself three years ago today. That kind of blows my mind.

There are more tricks you can do to get more information, such as capturing requests that the baby monitors and such made during the attack. It's probably best that I keep the specifics to myself, though. 

Expect another update tonight. If I have enough extra sets of hands, there should be a piece of less-boring news  ;)

Let me be first to say, I don't work on a networking team and analyzing packet captures are by far not my strength. I work across the hall from our network engineering team and security team. I'm intrigued to find out what they do when we see these attacks.

Regarding your car, how come you had to remove the cage? (Did I miss it?)

Regarding your car, how come you had to remove the cage? (Did I miss it?)

The 90-degree vertical main hoop forces the seat to be far enough forward that I can't get in/out with a helmet on, after adding Flemke/FIA bars to the cage (connecting the bottom of the A pillar tube to the top of the windshield, resisting A pillar collapse in a rollover). I'm essentially copying the original design, but with 15 degrees of main hoop layback. That buys me a lot of space, since the back of the shoulder area is where interference is. 2 feet up at 15 degrees puts the seat 6" further back. In real-world context, that's like moving your seat back 6 clicks (on most cars, one click is one inch).

I spent most of the day welding together a body jig. I started with a simple horizontal alignment jig:
30559792511_4713cefd3c_b.jpg

... then triangulated that toward the rear, and started to weld in the rear mounts, when I ran out of square tube. I have more in my garage, so I can still finish that tomorrow. Once that's finished, I'll be able to start test fitting the tube frame cockpit section, and align the suspension jigs I already started building. After that, I just weld it all together and discover what I did wrong.

I'm really pleased with the little MIG welder we have at the Makerspace. After selling my Hobart to another hillclimber, I had forgotten how fast work goes with these, and how much easier certain jobs are.

30349513180_aaea2b8f25_b.jpg

Finally, I went to ESS today (an electrical supply store) to help one of the Makerspace members pick up a sturdy welding bench, and they had some really burly casters that seem to be PERFECT for the chassis table. I won't be able to weld them in until the Datsun body is secured to the table, but I'm eager to get that done. I'll be able to wheel the whole thing over to the welding station and they're leveling feet all in one. For $75, I'm ecstatic with that deal.

30015924124_92e2fafbcd_b.jpg
  • Like 1

I am digging your shop.. killer! Looks like good square footage!

http://www.manchestermakerspace.org/

Shared shop, generally runs like a gym. Everyone pays a monthly membership, everyone gets 24/7 access, Officers are responsible for specific workstations and the Board of Directors is responsible for managing all the non-profit aspects. I'm the automotive officer, and this is the automotive area.

29972342830_d9fc6e5f5b_b.jpg

29267391986_04d2911d65_b.jpg

It can fit two cars comfortably, has a 1/2 ton overhead gantry, and we've been considering installing a lift for awhile. Right now though, I'm trying to raise funds for a toolbox. 

There are all kinds of other great tools, like the 3d printers, laser cutter, vinyl cutter (being set up now), industrial electronics workshop ...

laser cutter

29786070652_cb99aa0141_b.jpg

wood shop

29156455576_f74ea92a05_b.jpg

horizontal bandsaw

29605687290_4fa190ec94_b.jpg

lathe

29384148074_957be7a15b_b.jpg

... and the list goes on and on.

All my work has been in a "small" rental plot off to the side of the industrial space, with my own loading dock available for bigger stuff. You can see the white tape on the floor outlining my workspace.

29327169844_2844c68c2e_h.jpg

You have a Makerspace in Eugene, and it looks like you even have access to some CNC machining! http://eugenemakerspace.com/

Makers have a tendency to get things 'mostly' done, and you'll find that sometimes they finish things, but most of the time they don't.

Today was a bit slower than usual. I got a bunch of stuff done on the Subaru (winter wheels on, new belts all around, fresh plugs, etc) and picked up a few new tools. Then I headed back to the Makerspace for some fender forming. There's plenty more to do, but this is some basic blocking.

30042980913_33208d25a0_b.jpg

• Like 1

Makers have a tendency to get things 'mostly' done, and you'll find that sometimes they finish things, but most of the time they aren't.

Hahaha this is so true. I and two of my siblings are makers and we seriously have this problem :)

• Like 1

More fender plug shaping happened today. It's really starting to take shape. Once I have the final profile formed the way I like, I'll cut some ribbing to make all four consistently shaped, and go to town with fiberglass.

30931668426_d400632c08_b.jpg

If I had to pick a car as inspiration for these, it'd probably be the Turner BMW M6.

imsa-daytona-january-testing-2016-97-tur]

imsa-daytona-january-testing-2016-96-tur

I also started forming and reinforcing the mold for the cowl. I never understood why there are louvers in the cowl, they only serve to collect pine needles and to let rain into the wiper motors. I decided to just smooth it all out, make a fiberglass mold, and reinforce that mold with 2lb urethane foam (to give it structural rigidity).

22788356538_7d30138999_b.jpg

I'll need a second set of hands to get it in place, but now the jigs are ready to hold the car level on the chassis table.

22788355108_afc34f9298_b.jpg

• Like 1

The cowl is louvered for the make up air for the heater and the air vents. Most remove the cowl and cover the underside with fly screen to keep the crap out, an easy fix. Rain is drained through opening on either side of the plenum and down out under the sides of the front fenders..

I like this.... purpose built car.

The cowl is louvered for the make up air for the heater and the air vents. Most remove the cowl and cover the underside with fly screen to keep the crap out, an easy fix. Rain is drained through opening on either side of the plenum and down out under the sides of the front fenders..

I like this.... purpose built car.

EXACTLY! Nobody seems to understand that the goal here is to build a better commuter.

With the 13b, I don't realistically think I'll turn the heat on even during winter. I'm not too worried about that, generally.

Tonight I enlisted some help to get the body aligned on the chassis table. There wasn't quite enough time to finish the rear body jig, but overall it was a successful adventure. Within 0.5 degrees of being level with the chassis table.

Don't mind the engine under the car, that's just the spare for my $750 WRX beater with a heater.

22814608168_eebe6cc74c_b.jpg

30876098722_ee1247a61c_b.jpg

• Like 1

Today, my ego grew at least 6 sizes.

Somehow, I managed to get extremely accurate measurements, and bent the main hoop and A pillars perfectly ... while the old cage was still in the car. I had planned on doing each of these three times before getting one combination that I could call acceptable. I couldn't have asked for them to come out better.

25375915419_8bb841a8da_b.jpg

22833281798_0c2c5e02e0_b.jpg

31012593655_4d2ec04c45_b.jpg

I still need to do some coping and tack welding, but it's all coming together quite nicely.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, you need defrost whether it's a street car or not. Having to scrape your windshield in winter races is lame.

NH requires me to have a DOT windshield, but doesn't specify any other windows. I'm free to omit or replace them as I like, and it's still a street-legal car.

Based on my math, I still think I can get down to 1600lb dry in street-legal trim. It's a pretty aggressive goal, and I might fail ... but I'm going for it, damnit.

• Like 2
Fine, I will then!

Most of the weekend was checking and double-checking all of my math. The main hoop and diagonal braces are cut, and one is welded in. I think I'm going to make some minor adjustments to my A pillar design rather than making what I have mostly-work. This is the most critical point to get fitment spot-on for everything, since everything after this will be measured against these first 'core' pieces of tubing.

31140972845_c3a20c17e9_b.jpg

A friend had a non-running ej205 (older 2.0liter Subaru WRX engine) taking up space in his shop, and I generally like having a spare engine on-hand in case something breaks on any of my engines. I just finished pulling the intake manifold off, and decided I'd compare that engine to the engine I'm putting in the Datsun.

This is a complete valve-to-valve comparison of the two. If anyone is confused as to why I'd use a rotary in my Datsun, accept that simplicity and compactness are really the only reasons.

31140974345_bb81f64024_b.jpg

Horizontally opposed engines are known for keeping their mass low and short (front-to-back). As you can see, the rotary pretty much wins in every direction here. I still need to weigh both packages to get a decent reference, but I can easily carry one but the other requires two sets of hands to haul around.

30333885223_066ecdcc02_b.jpg

• Like 1