• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#41 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Cars:1975 280z, 2000 e350 hauler box truck, 2002 Subaru WRX

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

If blowout control is a big concern, you could always just get beadlocks rings and install them.

http://www.bart-wheel.com/beadlock.htm

I'm really looking at the bart wheels as race-only wheels (a little lightweight aluminum wheel trailer is in autoCAD right now, but not quite ready to be fabricated - and I still need to design a proper tow hitch). The only thing holding this project up right now is that MONSTEROUS iat sensor. I just got home from the parts store where I looked at 20 different sensors. No love. Altogether too many cars use plastic connectors to hold them in, and I really want to keep the sensor in the intake manifold.

I also just received a spare manifold that I can really hack apart.

I borrowed some grown-up tools

13847865503_4dae361f0a_b.jpg

13847877773_81f755d1a3_b.jpg

which allowed me to seat the injectors deeper (maybe too deep, I got overzealous with my exciting new tools) and now the orings should provide a great seal.

13847866573_7dc8fdef0b_b.jpg

13847841385_f5259df71f_b.jpg

More updates coming over the weekend, and I might even get some real, grown-up shop space!

In other news...

I sold the 240z. That means I have slightly more budget to put this together (or to move into the better shop space). I'm moving at the end of this month though, so that's going to eat up a lot of time. Gotta get it running!

#42 aintnobiscuit

aintnobiscuit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Cars:1969 datsun 510, 1970 datsun 521, 1966 mustang, 2013 BMW M3

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Ha ha ha... how awesome to find someone in a similar field who uses trello to track their progress on their car. I'm a software engineer. I don't use trello for my car, but I do something very similar... however when I'm tracking things to do for projects/etc i do use trello.

Awesome stuff. Excited to read through the rest of this build.

If you're looking for all the nitty-gritty details on the project, check my project manager here:

https://trello.com/b...G/s30-hillclimb

Otherwise, stay tuned for further updates.

#43 aintnobiscuit

aintnobiscuit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

If it has the capability for gas, use it. I had a similar problem until i hooked up gas at which point all my welds started coming out MUCH better. Keep at it.

Yeah, I'm pretty frustrated. The wire feed has a studder so my pool starts to cool before it gets hot enough to get good penetration. If I turn the voltage up accordingly, I burn through the 22ga sheets, so I'm stuck until I can fix whatever's wrong. It only happens when I have a slight bend in the line (read: any time the gun is pointed toward the car) so it must be either a liner problem or frayed wire inside the line. I'll pull it apart this weekend, and if I get it sorted out I'll just go through all my previous welds again.

#44 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

I spent the day today picking up my xs650 from the shop, and it's ready to sell. However, riding it home was so much fun that I'm not entirely 100% sure I want to sell it any more. What a great bike!

Ha ha ha... how awesome to find someone in a similar field who uses trello to track their progress on their car. I'm a software engineer. I don't use trello for my car, but I do something very similar... however when I'm tracking things to do for projects/etc i do use trello.

Awesome stuff. Excited to read through the rest of this build.

I have a bunch of complaints about Trello, and I can't imagine using it for work (I absolutely require ticket dependencies, which Trello sadly lacks). I also really like having the ability to estimate cost (based on estimated hours plus materials/hardware needed).

I don't know what kind of software you write, but I've spent a lot of time building out LAMP stacks and Python/nginx applications over the past ~10 years, and am FINALLY wrapping up a project to create a CMS based on Markdown. It's as basic as I could possibly make it. It only has a few interesting components, like no database (not even nosql, a complete lack of depdencence on a database). It also COMPLETLY segregates content from distribution, which means I can write one piece of content and easily turn that into a PDF, ePub, doc/docx, and publish it as web content, all with metadata built right into the plaintext-formatted source file (which is tracked in revision control, btw). It's really nothing special or fantastic, but it's an elegant solution to a problem that I've been trying to fight for years, so I'm proud of it.

If it has the capability for gas, use it. I had a similar problem until i hooked up gas at which point all my welds started coming out MUCH better. Keep at it.

Now I have a Hobart Handler, but no tank/regulator yet. The Due MIG is just sitting on a shelf. The new shop space has absolutely everything so I may just sell them both off and stop trying to do all this rented-garage-with-apartment stuff.

#45 aintnobiscuit

aintnobiscuit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

We're going to have to discuss PDF generation with PHP some time LOL. I'm sure you've run into the same issues we did. I built this: https://signnow.com.

Gas is the way to go for MIG. I bought a lincoln electric from home depot and it was the best investment I've made for working on cars so far. I'm still learning to weld but the gas makes it pretty easy, it's way more forgiving. I use trello for maintain a list of todos. The rest goes into phabricator or jira. I agree that ticketing is key... 

Excited for your car! Moar updates pls.

:D

#46 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

We're going to have to discuss PDF generation with PHP some time LOL. I'm sure you've run into the same issues we did. I built this: https://signnow.com.

Gas is the way to go for MIG. I bought a lincoln electric from home depot and it was the best investment I've made for working on cars so far. I'm still learning to weld but the gas makes it pretty easy, it's way more forgiving. I use trello for maintain a list of todos. The rest goes into phabricator or jira. I agree that ticketing is key... 

Excited for your car! Moar updates pls.

:D

That's exactly why I didn't use PHP to generate the PDFs. We do that at work, and it's an absolute nightmare. I've never loved PHP libs for ... anything, really. They all feel incomplete. Django would've been a good second choice, but that was a LOT more overhead than I wanted to manage. I'm just using PHP for the new website delivery, but all the other media is handled by other frameworks entirely.

No REAL updates today. I basically forced the intake manifold into submission by hogging out the 9/16" hole with the 9/16" bit to get it close-enough-ish to 37/64" that I could cut SOME threads with the 3/4" NPT tap. I really hate that I haven't been able to find a decent suitable IAT sensor that's metal, threaded, open-element, and reasonably sized ... so I guess I'm stuck with the GM. I definitely don't trust my installation (pictures to come), but it'll be close enough for the current build. At least it isn't keeping me from getting the thing running.

At this point, it looks like I won't be able to get the car into the new shop space because there isn't enough storage, and there's no overnight outdoor storage available there (not for lack of space, just because the landlord says no). Instead, I think I'm going to end up working on it at my new apartment, since there isn't too much left to do.

The intake manifold is being a bit of a nightmare, and I tore something in my shoulder working on it today so I'm going to get back to it tomorrow when I have another set of eyes/hands. I finally managed to get the j-pipe, throttle linkage, coolant lines (for the throttle body), and fuel lines off, but haven't been able to wrangle the intake/exhaust shared-stud manifold nuts off yet. Basically, I'm being a little bitch about it and decided that packing up to move (over the next two weeks) and riding some of my motorcycles (they keep multiplying!) is higher priority right now.

#47 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Minor follow-up update (with photos)

The GM IAT sensor was (still is) a huge thorn in the side but I think I have it to the point that it's good enough. We'll see if it leaks or heat soaks when I actually start up the car. Hopefully it's good enough that it won't outright prevent me from driving (the correct 37/64" bit is on its way to me).

13918709611_a4bb311006_b.jpg

One of the bolt-bulges (I don't know what to call them) largely blocks off that section of the manifold, so I don't know if this sensor will get adequate airflow to get good readings OR to prevent heat soak.

13941822325_9d2f6ef58e_b.jpg

There's a lot more meat both on the manifold and on the sensor, but I'm already applying more force to the tap than I'm comfortable with, so until I can hog out the 'pilot hole' I'm stuck with this solution that makes me unhappy.

13942277024_275587b79f_b.jpg

Off-topic, but the kids are all back in the garage, inspected and waiting to go to their new home (someone buy the xs650!)

13941905203_0e35cd49e1_c.jpg

#48 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

I am an idiot.

I gave both manifold gaskets that I had to the new owner of the 240z, but he didn't need either. I needed one though, and totally forgot that one was supposed to go with the l28et.

It took awhile, but I finally got the intake manifold off.

13954796274_bbdf84ac01_b.jpg

... then I saw the manifold gasket's condition (for some reason, I thought I might be able to salvage/reuse it - which you should never do even if you can) and decided it was time to pull the exhaust manifold off as well, so I could replace that gasket. The oil lines are a bit difficult to remove, and I don't want to make this more of a mess than I already have, so I'm just leaving it here for now.

13954410763_3906d5b69f_b.jpg

The manifold gasket was just crap. All crap. Made of crap, with crap smeared on top of it.

13954338925_f2d01afe6e_b.jpg

Speaking of crap, I'm really really happy to have the stock manifold off this thing.

13954339315_88cac06049_b.jpg

Once the new gasket comes in, I can slap this guy in there. I'm going to order new manifold fasteners while I'm at it, my old collection of fasteners appears to have disappeared.

13931244376_387273394d_b.jpg

It would be NICE to install my new water cooled saab t3, and to clean up the block, paint the exhaust, and lots of other 'while im in there' things, but I'm going to leave this as crusty as I think I can get away with ... but all those things push back the 'running date' and I won't allow that. Once it's running and driving, I have no problem pulling things back apart, but I have no tolerance for stuff that prevents me from getting to that initial running-driving condition. I need a starting point before I start making improvements.

#49 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

XS650 sold, which may free up some funds for the 280z.

#50 aintnobiscuit

aintnobiscuit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

I was under the impression that the IAT needs to be ~6" before the throttle body and not inside the intake manifold because of all the turbulence. I could be wrong though, just thought i would mention it.  

#51 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

I was under the impression that the IAT needs to be ~6" before the throttle body and not inside the intake manifold because of all the turbulence. I could be wrong though, just thought i would mention it.  

I've seen people on the MS boards argue both ways. My thinking is that if it works fine for ITB installs to have it past the TB, it'll work for me. Basically, I want the IAT reading to be as close to what's going directly into the engine as possible.

I think the turbulence would help get a better reading, if anything. The more flow past the sensor element, the better. However, my placement is definitely sub-optimal, and it may read engine temp as much as the intake charge temp. Heat soak is a big concern.

#52 aintnobiscuit

aintnobiscuit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

That makes sense to me. 

#53 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

UPDATE
This shouldn't be as exciting as it is, but I feel like this is the first time I've installed a part with the intention of keeping it there. For once, I'm done removing components and get to add stuff! Excuse the crappy cellphone pic (the sun was just about to set, and it started to rain, so I just wanted to snap some progress) and the lack of a throttle body (it's in the garage, ready for install).
13976932234_b351f8cd76_c.jpg

The other intake manifolds that will either be sold or hacked into:
13996539283_baa0e1d7b9_b.jpg

I'd like to start cleaning the interior; Does anyone have any experience with the small Harbor Freight shop vac? I've been putting off buying a shop vac for awhile, and now that I'm more-or-less ready to take the plunge, craigslist is failing me pretty hard. It'd be nice to know what's under all the sediment and grime and be able to actually paint my floors before they rot through.
13918737976_6988e8a7e6_b.jpg

#54 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

Finally moved into the new apartment. A little cleaning goes a long, long way.
14083087154_a92ccb22c8_b.jpg
14102668143_2d6e3d2a68_b.jpg
14102667393_8063d6b000_b.jpg
13896010190_69bd6c3742_b.jpg

#55 seattlejester

seattlejester

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Cars:240z

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hmm, I am kind of concerned about the IAT sensor as well. 

With an ITB setup it would make sense to put it in that area since the throttle bodies are essentially in the runners. I've actually seen people moving the the IAT further away to more accurately read the actual IAT instead of the heat soaked IAT in the manifold. To the point where some people running ITB's without a collecting manifold will leave the sensor dangling in front of the air funnels. 

I suppose it is a minor concern though. At worst it will run rich as a pig and you can plug the hole and move it to the intercooler piping when the time comes.

Starting to shape up! Looks like you've got a bit of rust repair ahead of you.

#56 aintnobiscuit

aintnobiscuit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

Ahhh thank you, heat soak was the other reason. I completely spaced out on that one.

#57 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:22 AM

Starting to shape up! Looks like you've got a bit of rust repair ahead of you.

You've never been to New England, apparently. There's more steel than rust, which means this is in near-perfect condition! I did take a look under the floors the other day, and the bottom is pretty rough.

In short, with only one weekend remaining before Ascutney I and a 2010 Yaris Sedan as my backup race car, I had to take drastic action. I had to come up with an answer to 'how do I race my daily driver, but not race a Yaris?'  As everybody knows, the answer is always Miata.

14146498183_48fc8ceedb_b.jpg

Unlike most small-car enthusiasts, I'm not in love with the Miata. It has many good traits, but I'm just not attracted to it. It's much more fun to drive than the Yaris, but it's absolutely no replacement for a mean s30, so it's a perfect daily driver. I have no plans for heavy modifications on this thing. I'll get it ready for Ascutney I (because the s30 won't be ready/legal/etc in that time, even if it's running), then put the Yaris up for sale and only have the Miata and Datsun.

Not to get too off topic, but the plan for this weekend is to:

1. slap some 205-50-15 Kumho XS tires on the existing 15x6 wheels (skinny little things)
  2. tighten all the suspension bolts
  3. possibly replace a couple bushings here or there
  4. flush all the fluids
  5. Replace the brake pads
  6. Turn the 'lol bar' into a 'roll bar' - A larger project, but in order to participate I need to have something better than a mousetrap waiting to chop my head off.

(lol bar - has no bracing anywhere, just one bar ... the plan is to add bracing like crazy)

13945390889_aac3165dc5_b.jpg

Let's close this update up with an on-topic photo. Nestled into its new garage rather nicely, I think.

14132332194_2c061f86ab_b.jpg

#58 TENDRIL

TENDRIL

The Legend.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:51 AM

do you make these as stickers?

ddlogo_2014_signature.png

Datsuns will 20 buck u to death

#59 aintnobiscuit

aintnobiscuit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

I LOLd so much  on that last post. so much win.

Good luck with the miata and the LOLbar. Try to take some pictures or video if you can :D

#60 drummingpariah

drummingpariah

• PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

do you make these as stickers?

ddlogo_2014_signature.png

Coming soon, along with hats (and maybe more). We're still trying to decide what sizes to print. Keep an eye on the site for updates, we've got a lot of content in the pipeline right now.

I LOLd so much  on that last post. so much win.

Good luck with the miata and the LOLbar. Try to take some pictures or video if you can :D

It's not a Miata forum, so I was holding off on throwing updates all over the place. The Datsun has been sitting since my last post, and prepping the Miata has been priority #1.

Laurie and I hammered it out this weekend, with nothing more than a couple angle grinders and her TIG welder (and welding skills).

14199115983_5c1f80418e_b.jpg

13992339050_af3d5cfaf2_b.jpg

13992356537_bb51fb1c81_b.jpg

13999100488_c2f340834c_b.jpg

13992384998_d3067df036_b.jpg

13992384290_de354fea25_b.jpg

I'm getting my tires, alignment, inspection, sa2010 helmet, and installing the fire extinguisher tomorrow. I might even make time to paint the lol bar. The weather is looking pretty wet for the weekend, and I'm starting to think the Kumho XS tires I ordered aren't going to be the best option. I'll still get up there and have fun, though!

All my hammock camping equipment is getting packed tonight so I'll have somewhere dry to sleep during the event, and I'm studying the shit out of previous seasons' race footage and the course maps:

ascutney-road-map.jpg

Okemo is right around the corner (June 6) as well, and I'm not sure I'll have the money to finish the Datsun for it or if I'll have to pull the Miata up there too.