Daily Hillclimb Build (s30)

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither are motors I enjoy working on at all.

As you have said though, the rotary is such a compact small package, perfect to get a good F/R weight distribution and low CoG.

I'm interested now. Who doesn't enjoy working on a rotary? They're so simple. Other than initial tuning, what's not to like?

• Like 1

UPDATE TIME!

Because it's Saturday, I have an update on the build! I think I've solidified most of the fender profile at this point. I'd say it looks pretty good, and is ready for some final touches and blending to the bumper.

31097205682_e83d4325e0_b.jpg

30433398653_f29e22a2ed_b.jpg

I don't really have a way to express how much math and thinking went into the cage so far, but here are the key points:

1. It's friction-fit.

I didn't even need to tack it into place, it's so tight against the body.

31118126382_af4b350899_b.jpg

2. It's symmetrical.

... and level within 5mm from any point to any other point

30438480134_322368d47f_b.jpg

3. There are no visibility problems.

The diagonal X is 16" lower than the roofline, so it won't interfere with my rear-view mirror.

4. It reclines 10 degrees.

Originally I was planning on 15 degrees, as that would fit the lines of the body and rear quarter windows nicely, but FIA regulations require no more than 10 degrees. I'd like to keep my options open as to what racing I do in this car, so I'm going with the most stringent sanctioning body I know of.

31118399322_c5454f32d7_b.jpg

• Like 2

Today registration for the Mt Washington Hillclimb race opened (Climb to the Clouds 2017). This has been my life goal for the past three years, since I purchased this car.

For those who aren't already familiar with it, Mt Washington is the closest hillclimb to my home (around two hours away). It's also twice as long as the longest hill we typically run (over 7 miles). It happens roughly once every three years, and is a pretty big deal overall.

The last time it ran I crewed for a friend and one of my racing mentors, Jamie Melhuish. It was quite an experience. In addition to learning twice as much course, we only get four practice runs. Each of those runs is only half of the course, so the first time we stitch the whole hill together, it's the first timed run. There are two timed runs. This is where a rally-style codriver reading pace notes becomes a massive benefit, but I'll be doing it solo. That means watching a lot of footage from past events, and spending a few days driving up at street-legal speeds to ensure that I actually know the course.

2014-cttc-2333_article.jpg

Right now, my registration is in, but that doesn't necessarily mean I've been invited to race. I would need to be selected from the list of applicants to be invited to race. In any event, the only way I can be ready for the event if I'm accepted is to continue as planned and assume I'll make it to the start line.

To say I'm excited is a gross understatement, like saying that an atom is "rather small."

• Like 3

To celebrate having registered, I spent the night re-mathing and re-bending the driver's apillar. Tomorrow is the passenger, and the weekend is coping and tacking, then adding rockers, windshield, and dash bar. So far, everything is 1.75" DOM.

For my own future reference, this is 20" straight, then a 47 degree bend, followed by 24" straight, 13 degree twist on a 42 degree bend, then 24" straight (which will be trimmed and coped to fit the main hoop). I may add one more slight inward bend to meet up with the main hoop. 

30558039113_b7b51eb814_b.jpg
31365750335_4c6e102067_b.jpg
31250839851_37602cb9c6_b.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks mate, I'm generally happy with the fitment thus far. Being picky at these early stages will give me a little wiggle room to make mistakes later on in the process, and I think that's worthwhile.

I didn't really plan to get anything done today, just clean up the shop a bit in preparation for the weekend. Man, was I wrong. I nailed the passenger side A pillar so nicely, I decided to make another driver's side replacement ... but twisted the wrong way, which resulted in another perfect passenger's side A pillar. Then I made one more driver's side, and went so far as to add a small bend on the back of it to get it to fit up with the main hoop just so.

Tomorrow, I get to break out the welder, tack it together, and start in on reinforcements.

31267180771_40314a8b84_b.jpg

• Like 2

Quite the contrary, they're commonly used in airplanes. The trick at high elevations (or low elevations, for that matter) is a turbocharger. A big one, it turns out. Normal 'piston math' for turbo sizing doesn't quite work for rotaries, and it's easy to choke the exhaust side with too small of a hot side. I'll get into rotaries a bit more later. There are a lot of downsides to them, handling elevation isn't one.

Finally, everything's aligned and tack welded into place. I spent most of the day fine-tuning fitment so it's symmetrical on both sides and so I have as much headroom as possible, but the results are worth it.

31030115640_d13fdc5849_b.jpg

All told, I bent 6 'not quite right' A pillars throughout this process, so roughly 40' of material that didn't make it onto the car. It'll all get used, as door bars or similar.

31284516361_a1de28f6af_b.jpg
  • Like 1

I'm a firm believer of "recycling" quality parts, NASCAR uses the best of the best, and things like their lightweight nylon braided lines can be had for next to nothing for things like oil coolers.

Shame the stuff isn't readily accessible in Australia.

I also visit wrecking yards to see if I can use something from a more modern car to upgrade a part in the old datsuns. Door seals, bailey chaneel rubbers, dash vents, seats, brakes, fuel systems etc. But thats probably the cheapskate in me.

A full day of work today, and it doesn't look like much progress.

31565699815_19a2e2afea_b.jpg

My friends Mike and Matty came out to help, and we wrapped up the rear body jig, then centered and leveled the body on the chassis. The A pillars weren't perfectly symmetrical, so they came out, received appropriate trimming, and went back in. We coped the dash bar, and bent up all the door bars.

With the car on the rear body jig, we pulled the 2x4's that were supporting the middle of the car. A new horizontal support bar was welded in in front of the A pillars, and the existing horizontal support bar was removed. That free'd up enough room to test fit the seat, and it looks fantastic. I couldn't get any photos of it, but there's plenty of room all around in this thing.

Finally, we took some measurements to ensure that everything that's tacked together so far will pass tech without any issues, and pressed on 'till midnight.

31413869532_60c400211e_b.jpg

Lots of tubing was cut today.

30723865734_83a6daefcc_b.jpg

• Like 1

Update Time

It's Saturday, so I don't have a 'big' update to announce. 

I think I've mentioned it before but in case I hadn't, we're recording a whole web series for this build, similar to what I did for the CRX. I've always enjoyed watching honest, well-produced video over reading build threads, and thought I'd give it a go. As I learned from the CRX build, it really requires a dedicated film crew (of at least 1 person). The level of quality I want really isn't possible if I'm trying to build and film at the same time.

With that goal in mind, I spent the morning laying out the video capture gear and taking an inventory of what we use on a regular basis. This is the result.

31664461936_1746f52f31_b.jpg

Yeah, I agree. This might be a bit silly.

Anyway, with that out of the way Mike and I started off by finishing coping for the dash bar, which looks pretty solid now.

30865094644_a8cda62193_b.jpg

After lunch, Mike took care of the sill bar coping and I took care of the bent door bars. They aren't quite ready to weld in, but we're making good progress.

31670666116_fabd851237_b.jpg

Unfortunately, we ran out of material for the remaining sill/rocker bar and the windshield bar (both are required to run Mt Washington). I'll have another 24' arriving Monday morning. Tomorrow, I think I want to set our sights on tackling the front suspension jig, since the 'core' of the cage structure is finally coming together.

• Like 1

Shit... that's a killer video!!

I can't wait to show you the rest of them, then!

I read through the old posts and was wondering about 2 things.

Is your goal still to be ready by Climb to the Clouds? Or will you have to miss it?

Also did anything ever come of the T shirts?

We're on schedule for CTTC2017 ... assuming my application is accepted. Whether I'm accepted or not, the plan is to start with some autox shakedown in April, with the first hillclimb event of the season in Maya.

Tshirts started, but when the printer I was working with bailed, I didn't have enough gumption left to find a new one. We'll revisit it before the build series ends, though.

Today, I got the new sill bars cut, coped, and ready to tack in. Holidays always interrupt builds, and I don't know how much shop time I'll be able to squeeze in tomorrow, if any. Happy Xmas (or whatever you like to do when everything is closed) everybody!

• Like 2
After test fitting the seat, I decided to move the floor up significantly. With my original floor location, a 6'2" person would have to struggle to see over the dashboard. The higher the floor is, the more ground clearance I can add or the lower I can place the center of gravity. I like both of those things, and I'm only 5'6" so if I'm going to go to any extreme, it'll be the "build for short people" rather than "built for tall people" extreme.

Unfortunately, that was not a trivial change to make. I had to chop out the sill bars and door bars, then I had to cut out the X brace in the main hoop. Having the X brace terminate below the floor would defeat the purpose of moving the floor up, so it HAD to go.

30870743074_d92243f8f4_b.jpg

I made new sill bars and X braces, and am just starting to catch back up to where I was a couple weeks ago.

We went from this:

31670666116_fabd851237_b.jpg

to this:

31919929511_f3934a8b0d_b.jpg

It looks like such a simple change, but was a pretty massive effort. On the positive side, I'm getting quite good at coping with an angle grinder now!

31998544736_d8d216e176_b.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks mate! For the episode we're recording now (should be ready to go live in Feb, I think) I decided to rent my "dream camera" (Sony a7s). Our Makerspace is lit like the basement under a dungeon, so low light performance was a big concern. With the right person behind the lens, this thing runs on pure witchcraft. This is a pretty good comparison of what the camera sees at ISO400 as compared to what the eye actually sees.

31472580960_b48eaf2d69_b.jpg

I really wish I had the funds to buy one of these this season; It'd make filming so much faster, easier, and less inconvenient (leaving more time to build the car). Someday I will have one (probably the newer a7s ii, since it can record 4k footage natively without needing the Shogun I rented).

In case you're wondering where the camera is actually looking in that photo, you can see the tall white bottle of air tool oil on the right-most, second-from-the-top shelf. Your eye sees black fuzzy shadow that might be a shelf, where the camera sees a line sander, spray gun, respirator, etc.

• Like 1