1972 620 Build

zerickk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. I must be overseeing something here, but I cant figure out what.

I can't get #60 to come out of #24. I removed the nut, and the bolt spins freely but it wont come out. Is there a sleeve on it that isn't shown on this diagram? The other pictures make it look like there is.

Thanks!

i6BJyIEm.jpg

N7ODQvrm.jpg

GEtOHy8m.jpg

Thread the nut onto the bolt three or four threads and hit it with a punch and a big hammer and see if that helps. You'll want the nut on to help preserve your threads, his the bolt not the nut

Thanks. I did that for about 20 mins (with the nut), ended up deforming the nut so now I need a new one haha. 

Idk, I'm just lobbing guesses in your direction

No problem thanks for the suggestions. I did have a jack under the knuckle and it turns really smooth with the tension off of it like that. Just wont slide out. I gave it some pretty good heat with the torch as well. I suppose I can just take off both upper arms as well, I just don't want to if I don't have to.

i rebuilt my front end with king pins on my 73.  I disassembled it after taking the upper and lower control arms off.  Used a press on some of the parts.  that bolt u can try using an impact wrench to turn it while tapping it as well.  If u do take the lower control arm of be mindful of the spindle bolts.  If they are hit they deform and are NLA, took me awhile to find a decent enough set to replace mine.  If you are going to rebuild kingpins I used this as my guide Also autozone has a lifetime warranty kingpin set

• Like 1

59$ good price was it Made in Japan?

Dont think so it says duralst,but its lifetime warranty item. I went through so many kits because of trial and error. I would just walk in with. Bad bushing i pressed wrong and exchange for another

I would guess its a rare parts brand seeing as they also sell that kit $104. I used to work for autozone, and saw a lot of parts become unobtainable. Just because its lifetime warrantied, doesn't mean it will always be available. Just a heads up, you can always get your money back though.

• Like 1

Duralast bearings are made by Timken, engine mounts are Anchor brand, just rebranded to the store brand. I can't remember all the companies anymore, but my guess would be the duralast kingpin kits are made by Rare Parts. When products become a VDP item, it generally means they are on their way to being phased out. So get the kits while you can. 

• Like 2

Duralast bearings are made by Timken, engine mounts are Anchor brand, just rebranded to the store brand. I can't remember all the companies anymore, but my guess would be the duralast kingpin kits are made by Rare Parts. When products become a VDP item, it generally means they are on their way to being phased out. So get the kits while you can. 

glad i did mine now and they should be good for another 40 years, but the way california is going it might be illegal to drive a carbed vehicle 

• Like 1

I was able to remove the bolt over the weekend. I didn't notice that the bushings have a steel sleeve which was seized on the bolt. It took a lot of force with c-clamps, pullers, heat etc. but it did come out. Good info on the Kingpins too. Thanks! I also realized how outdated my interior pics are. I will upload some progress pics soon.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

Well I think I grease them more than the average Datsun owner. the pass side locked up about 5 years ago . took a torch to them to heat it up then the grease when thru and was OK. But its the side that is loose. driver side is fine really no wear.

now the thing shimmys when driving. I got the spindals in now to get done(spare set) and when to take the pass side off last night and the vulcrum pin wedge(really a pin w threaded end is stuck).  So I soaking it with PB Blaster now.

• Like 2