1972 620 Build

zerickk

Hey Everyone, 

After spending a while working on a 620 I bought a year ago (http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39481-sr20det-1976-datsun-620/), I found a much more complete truck for sale on Kijiji located in Penticton, BC (700km away) for $1300. 

L20B

5-speed

I finished work that day, and at 6:30 the next morning my fiance and I were on the road to pick it up. After 23 hours of driving, we had this in our driveway:

7044QJVl.jpg

Since we don't have a truck and trailer, I drove it back the entire 700km and it did great! 

Here are some more pics (you may recognize it from Keno's thread http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56446-so-i-bought-myself-a-620/) :

CaO3DwBl.jpg

dmkcAlBl.jpg

XzsM3Ell.jpg

01yQ5Jil.jpg

8RqOM3xl.jpg

PCgbV0Al.jpg

gFr4dOcl.jpg

ScBVz9Vl.jpg

tO82tHel.jpg

3IgPPzll.jpg

pqgajDpl.jpg

More to come...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to get this thing to pass safety there are a few issues I need to attack:

No driver's side wiper (at all - arm or mechanism)

No low beams (had to run high beams only the whole drive home - sorry long haul truckers!)

Only has weak brakes on the 2nd- 3rd pump

No Parking Break

Front end components are shot 

I started with the wipers. Swapped over the mechanism and arm from my '76:

bvgm1aml.jpg

DONE

Replace both steering links and connecting rod/ends:

ENqmXEHl.jpg

xLlDloyl.jpg

iJ0FT0rl.jpg

ra63tg4l.jpg

qfqlGCFl.jpg

fNv3IF3l.jpg

mUa0UKIl.jpg

DONE

Cleaned the interior and swapped in a spare wheel I had sitting around:

1n0BuUkl.jpg

Old wooden box inserts removed:

QwPZzGwl.jpg

VPX4OHsl.jpg

Going to steal the parking brake cables from the rear in this pic:

El3Qb.jpg

(also keeping the rear as a spare)

Master cylinder bench bled and swapped:

1TS5Ubfl.jpg

F8RrZpml.jpg

Brakes are still the same after line bleed, so a drum adjustment is in order. I'll do the shoes while i'm at it:

egJpDl.jpg

That's it on progress so far. I will post brakes progress as I go.

Does anyone know what this is?

CA9li4jl.jpg

• Like 1

Ballast resistor. It drops the voltage across the points to 7-8 volts when running to prevent burning them out. When cranking the full 12 volts is applied around the ballast to give higher voltage spark for starting. Without the ballast the points would last only 50 - 150 miles. It also prevents the coil from over heating.

• 4 months later...

Well i got around to working on the truck a bit the last few weeks. I pulled the speedometer cable out of the transmission and the piece in the transmission spins freely even when the truck is in gear. Anyone know if this is normal? I'm not sure i'll end up fixing this anyway, because i picked up this Garmin GPS for cheap and I think it might be cool to custom install it as a speedo/NAV combo. I used it for the drive from Penticton to Calgary and it did well with GPS reception through the mountains. Alberta law states the speedo just has to measure forward moving speed. Says nothing of how it must be done so i would assume it's legal.

Xr2kiJxl.jpg

I decided to get a better look at the condition of the floor, so I ripped out the seats, carpet and rubber mat. Before i bought it I noticed someone in the past had welded in some floor patches so I figured it would be in decent shape. Looks like the only rust holes are near the gas pedal. The footwells for the driver and passenger do have some pretty heavy surface rust though, so I am thinking I might use an old tailgate and cut the inside corrugated part of it out and use it to replace the floor pans. I went at the floor with a 3M strip disk and started to remove most of the paint. I also used some rust converter on the surface rust under the seats and am impressed by how well its working.

ErRksiyl.jpg

EmH6seBl.jpg

sAvg8MGl.jpg

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

I went to the pick n' pull today looking for a center console. I found a 2004 Chrysler Neon R/T that had just went on the lot and ended up taking the seats, console and seatbelts.

Here is how it all looks in the truck. Im really happy with the fit.

lNKwPbzl.jpg

lTFpOIMl.jpg

Py3U2wKl.jpg

avZx9d6l.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

If I'm not mistaken that tab is connected to the whole top lid, so it's the ground side.  I would check it with a meter first, but if you were just going to jury rig it, epoxy a terminal down on the top and reconnect the wire.  Obviously if you going to use epoxy, the terminal has to be clean and making contact first before you lay down the epoxy.  Soldering would be better, but then you would need to take the whole thing off anyway and sending units don't cost that much.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new sending unit. I agree if i'm taking it out, I might as well replace it. Thanks or the comment on the seats.They turned out better than I had expected. I have newer pics with the floor fully bed-lined. I originally planned to leave it that way, but the seats look so good I think I will carpet it. I am working on the handbrake cables right now as well (the Neon handbrake will be functional). 

Ahhhh bucket seats in a regular cab. A luxury my legs wont afford me. And the thought of a cup holder just makes me giddy.

Haha thanks. I guess there are advantages to being <6ft tall

Nice roll pan, plan on doing the same to my truck.

Thanks. It was nice that it had already been done to this truck. The last one i had still had the big nasty bumper.

• Like 1