280zx struts/ 510 conversion- Am I missing something?

I have ran my 510 both ways and tell you the truth could not feel any difference.  On my old s12 4 cylinder setup they were loose at full droop.  Now with my current M30's I had them cut just a wee bit too much (measure twice? lol) and now have a small amount of preload.  For the sole purpose of keeping the springs captured, I prefer the preloaded way.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered my coilovers from T3 this past week.  When we were talking about adjusting the coilovers, this topic came up.  He said he's seen it quite often, and as long as your not rallying, he doesn't believe there is any issue, even with the coilovers.  He sounds like he has a lot of experience with these setups, So even though I'm skeptical, I will take it on faith that it works....

• 2 months later...

That's why I posted the formula. You would have to plug in some numbers and see what you get. 4 coils is no good. On my 710 1 1/4 coils increased it 50% from 100 to 150 lb/in.

Note in my formula the diameter of the coil is center to center not across the full width. On line calculators may take this into account.

Mike, I'm planning to copy your work soon on my 77' 710 goon with Zx struts. I've been reading as much as I can find so I'm prepared for issues.

Did you run into this issue? Living where I do, it's entirely possible for my suspension to hit full droop in a washout after a storm. Last thing I want is my spring coming out of the perch in the middle of nowhere.