I just acquired this 1969 Nissan Patrol

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Did you ever work out your brakes? The Aussie wheel cylinders do work but rears came in two sizes as in Aus. they got the 1-ton H260 rear axle a lot which has the larger cylinders. The Aussie cylinders also need to be notched a touch to get the shoes to fit inside the drum, unless you shoes are badly worn down. In my opinion a better wheel cylinder solution is to get yours sleeved with a stainless steel sleeve. Then find NOS cups for the pistons. 90% of the time the stock cylinders can be rebuilt and they are much better than the aftermarket ones. Either way, working brakes is important for sure!! 

Make sure when you order parts from Aus. that you specify the rear axle you have as a C216. Again, a lot of H260's over there and the parts do not interchange. Front axle is the same, ie C216. I have gotten some trans/t-case rebuild parts out of Aus. in the last year or two so there is definitely parts over there! A nice and safe upgrade to your brakes using Aussie parts would be a duel circuit master cylinder. You can get aftermarket ones in Aus that will work on your truck. 

Good looking Patrol by the way, was it painted black before? If you need anything, like emblems I am happy to bump in a few parts on my next order from Colombia. That order will be going out well before the end of the year as I am needing some stuff for some resto projects as well as for my Ute. 

Cheers

Did you ever work out your brakes? The Aussie wheel cylinders do work but rears came in two sizes as in Aus. they got the 1-ton H260 rear axle a lot which has the larger cylinders. The Aussie cylinders also need to be notched a touch to get the shoes to fit inside the drum, unless you shoes are badly worn down. In my opinion a better wheel cylinder solution is to get yours sleeved with a stainless steel sleeve. Then find NOS cups for the pistons. 90% of the time the stock cylinders can be rebuilt and they are much better than the aftermarket ones. Either way, working brakes is important for sure!! 

Make sure when you order parts from Aus. that you specify the rear axle you have as a C216. Again, a lot of H260's over there and the parts do not interchange. Front axle is the same, ie C216. I have gotten some trans/t-case rebuild parts out of Aus. in the last year or two so there is definitely parts over there! A nice and safe upgrade to your brakes using Aussie parts would be a duel circuit master cylinder. You can get aftermarket ones in Aus that will work on your truck. 

Good looking Patrol by the way, was it painted black before? If you need anything, like emblems I am happy to bump in a few parts on my next order from Colombia. That order will be going out well before the end of the year as I am needing some stuff for some resto projects as well as for my Ute. 

Cheers

I did end up getting the brakes sorted out, although I am using an inappropriate master cylinder.  The wheel cylinders - maybe I just lucked out because I didn't specify anything other than the year of my patrol and I got replacements that matched the ones that came out.

For the two circuit master - is that something that came on later year patrols?  If you can get one of those from Colombia I am very interested. The one I have makes me nervous.

I did end up getting the brakes sorted out, although I am using an inappropriate master cylinder.  The wheel cylinders - maybe I just lucked out because I didn't specify anything other than the year of my patrol and I got replacements that matched the ones that came out.

For the two circuit master - is that something that came on later year patrols?  If you can get one of those from Colombia I am very interested. The one I have makes me nervous.

Yes duel circuit was standard by the mid-70's. By the G61 they were using the 160-series master with booster. Very nice compared to what you have now! Not a bolt in job though to fit that while the duel circuit from the 1970's G60 is. 

I will pm ya.

Cheers

Also a good working e-brake is key. The stock ones work very well but over the years get worn out and sloppy. Plus if the t-case rear seal goes it leaks all over the e-brake and fouls it. If you don't have a good working e-brake I would get that in order too. Believe it or not, the t-case output seals front & rear are still available from Nissan here in the states. Pull seal, order a new one with the part number on the seal. I have found the best way to deal with Nissan here and parts is to have the correct part number yourself. They don't have the 1980 parts books here in the states and these are the most updated numbers that can be referenced back to Japan. There is a guy on Ebay in Kuwait or UAE who has been selling the last parts book for G60's, ie 1980 in brand new condition. I bought a few from him! This or the micro-fiche is what you want for part numbers. The ebay guy also has had some G61 parts books too, I bought several of those as well! :)

With the right part numbers in hand you can search online at places like Nissanparts.cc, a lot will come up as available but very little will come in. Or of course at your local dealership. I actually got t-case output seals at Napa via Nissan that are NOS. Any ways, it helps to have the books if you are after NOS parts as some can still be bought from Nissan. Plus the exploded diagrams rock! 

Cheers